Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matuka's Aerowalk Textures V1.1 !!!Updated!!!

Rainbow 
Code:
Firstly, let me lay down some history on one of the greatest, if not the greatest map to reach the gaming world - Aerowalk, by Preacher. This map was originally released in '97 for Quake one, better known as QuakeWorld, and if you're old enough, NetQuake - The same year that QuakeWorld was released, there was an influx of maps made by users, user generated content. It lead open a plethora of maps, theres probably a thousand, or perhaps even two thousand maps today for Quake one. However none of them probably compare to the history and fame of Aerowalk. This map is the baddest, toughest kid in your school's play-ground and it doesn't take shit from anyone. If any Death Match shooter came out and soon after release there was no Aerowalk remake for it, then it clearly isn't worth anyones time. The map Aerowalk is such a bad ass that 15 years on, it's still being played at both high and low level play in Quake. That's just how much this map fuckin' rocks.

Fast forward a few years, Quake 3 was released in 1999 - In the year 2000 after we stop worrying about computers blowing up our planet, we got to enjoy Challenge Pro Mode, a mod devised by several developers to make Quake 3 what it should of been. In 2001, a popular name, Hubster - released a remake of Aerowalk for Quake 3, however this map had its flaws, it was too tight for Challenge Pro Mode - So in 2003 Hubster released a new version of Aerowalk, it had new textures, new geometry and better game-play. He released it as CPM22 for the CPM modification, and it today is probably the only map played in CPMA. :]

Today, we play that map, under a different name - It's originals name, hub3aeroq3 (I would argue that we would rather change the name to Aerowalk, but thats for another time and topic). In Xonotic however, with its updated and excellent DarkPlaces engine, the jpg textures used for the map are now dated, and if at all anything - disgusting with the awesome colored lights. So I, one man with one mission, decided to take up the challenge. In a threatening environment of Adobe Photoshop, I hid and stayed quiet, trying to do my work, afraid of the pen tool infecting me with an addiction to curvy lines or the filters coming out at night and clawing me skinless. With hours of precious work I have triumphed over the beasts and produced a nice lovely set of textures that I think look better, biased opinion of course - you be the judge.

Oh bore me more with history lessons Mr. Awesome, just tell me what you did. Tell you what I did? Sure thing pal, I retextured Aerowalk so that it now looks a lot more stunning.

VERSION 1.1
[Image: IKgz]
[Image: IKjz]
[Image: IKjK]
[Image: IKkf]
[Image: IKkB]

Let's go over what I've done in this recent update:
Quote:
  • Generated Ambient Occlusion maps and then blended them onto the diffuse map using Photoshops "Multiply" blending mode
  • Generated normal maps*
  • Hand made specular maps
  • 24-Bit TGA's! No more JPEGs!
  • Fixed the hazard stripe textures
  • Included a custom skybox **
* I may revise these normal maps at a later date by doing them by hand. I dislike generating normal maps, especially in a circumstance like this. Depression and laziness combined doesn't bring out the best in me.
** Theres actually TWO sky boxes that I produced, a dusky-day skybox and a nightish one, you will have the choice between both

With the addition of the blended Ambient Occlusion maps, the diffuse textures are given a darker, much more shaded look. You'll notice some small difference in colour too on certain parts if you look hard enough, but that doesn't matter.

For specular maps to work with the map, you'll need to force Deluxemapping onto 2. The reason for this is that there is no *.shader file that tells the game that X textures has Y kind of map enabled. Forcing deluxemapping onto 2, it will just enable the use of specific shader maps like Specular maps regardless of what the *.shader file states (At least from what I know, need someone with a better understanding to elaborate on this - I'm working purely off trial & error over here). The command is r_glsl_deluxemapping "2"

Heres several commands that you can also play about with to get yourself a different look to the specular maps. Personally, I prefer the defaults.
Code:
r_shadow_bumpscale_basetexture
r_shadow_gloss
r_shadow_gloss2intensity
r_shadow_glossexponent

All of that useless mumble jumble being out and done with; heres the downloads! Theres three downloads to choose from. The map file, just the textures alone along with two different skyboxes. The dusky skybox is the same as the one thats been released with the map.

Pretty! This looks so clean and nice.

Just to put it out there, in the future if I get the time - I'll make specular and normal maps for textures. I guess that if its possible to do it without editing the map. Mind you the map does need a bit of editing, five minute walk around and you can see some misaligned textures that were in the original cpm22.

Looks awesome! Big Grin

asyyy!!! put it up on exile now! Tongue

Nice! But specular and normalmaps would indeed make it look way better. Looking forward to see them added! Smile

(07-10-2012, 04:42 PM)Maddin Wrote: Nice! But specular and normalmaps would indeed make it look way better. Looking forward to see them added! Smile

You got any reference that I could use for getting normal and specular maps into the game? I can make the normal and specular maps made, but adding them into the game - I'm clueless on that part. I can make the normal maps and specular maps within a few minutes for each texture and I'm happy to do so. I'm not quite happy with the flat look that the textures give.

Afaik, normalmaps and specular maps need just these suffixes:

normalmap: _norm
specular: _gloss

e.g.:
texture.jpg
texture_norm.jpg
texture_gloss.jpg

this is beautiful! Thanks alot Matuka! and ofc great work! Big Grin
metsu ZeRoQL (Stats) - <@nifrek> true, I guess in tdm you also dont always have your perfect choice of weapon, especially when ZeRoQL is controlling nex Dodgy
KILLING X ZONE - Xonotic community movie

Nice one.

IMO the best thing to do would be to remake the map
[Image: foxtrotcproggry.jpg]

I remember seeing this map on one of the DCC servers, but this version is waaaaay prettier ;-). Has some Q2 feel to it though (rusty & orange).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(07-10-2012, 05:43 PM)TH3FTB0T Wrote: IMO the best thing to do would be to remake the map

Why and how? Matuka is providing a retexturing of the original map, they are not trying to "fix" the original. AFAIK, it's a classic, and modifying it makes it less so.

(07-11-2012, 04:49 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: AFAIK, it's a classic, and modifying it makes it less so.

in a remake you can add as many details as you want. (take a look at darkzone)
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I created a new pk3 (r3) with the textures, updated mappicture and mapinfo, so you don't have to fuck up the old file or something. Wink

DOWNLOAD

Nice. This map looked like crap before, it looks pretty good now.

One thing to improve: can you pick a music track for this map?

(07-11-2012, 05:44 AM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(07-11-2012, 04:49 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: AFAIK, it's a classic, and modifying it makes it less so.

Oh okay, I thought he meant a remake was needed because the map is broken somehow.

(07-11-2012, 07:25 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(07-11-2012, 05:44 AM)Cortez666 Wrote:

Oh okay, I thought he meant a remake was needed because the map is broken somehow.

Technically the map isn't broken, its just that the map has some misalignments with certain brushes and certain textures, so it produces some weird kinks and seams.

it dpes look cleaner but normal maps -- specular maps -- and a high quality recompile (after the normal maps are in ) is what is needed to bring the quality up to xonotic standards ... ... normal maps can be made easily with the ginp normalmap plugin ...

Did someone say, update?

[Image: IKgz]
[Image: IKjz]
[Image: IKjK]
[Image: IKkf]
[Image: IKkB]

Let's go over what I've done:
Quote:
  • Generated Ambient Occlusion maps and then blended them onto the diffuse map using Photoshops "Multiply" blending mode
  • Generated normal maps*
  • Hand made specular maps
  • 24-Bit TGA's! No more JPEGs!
  • Fixed the hazard stripe textures
  • Included a custom skybox **
* I may revise these normal maps at a later date by doing them by hand. I dislike generating normal maps, especially in a circumstance like this. Depression and laziness combined doesn't bring out the best in me.
** Theres actually TWO sky boxes that I produced, a dusky-day skybox and a nightish one, you will have the choice between both

With the addition of the blended Ambient Occlusion maps, the diffuse textures are given a darker, much more shaded look. You'll notice some small difference in colour too on certain parts if you look hard enough, but that doesn't matter.

For specular maps to work with the map, you'll need to force Deluxemapping onto 2. The reason for this is that there is no *.shader file that tells the game that X textures has Y kind of map enabled. Forcing deluxemapping onto 2, it will just enable the use of specific shader maps like Specular maps regardless of what the *.shader file states (At least from what I know, need someone with a better understanding to elaborate on this - I'm working purely off trial & error over here). The command is r_glsl_deluxemapping "2"

Heres several commands that you can also play about with to get yourself a different look to the specular maps. Personally, I prefer the defaults.
Code:
r_shadow_bumpscale_basetexture
r_shadow_gloss
r_shadow_gloss2intensity
r_shadow_glossexponent

Downloads can be found in the updated OP. If you dont see the download links OR an updated OP. Then you came too fast.

Amazing work makuta!

I like your textures for aerowalk! It looks very solid and reminds me QuakeWorld's one.

Here is some texture's clipping i found on this map:
http://www.foopics.com/showfull/86dbbf5d...7bc48f8073
http://www.foopics.com/showfull/e234e742...e2cfb7ab5c
http://www.foopics.com/showfull/3a8bb572...646719cfe0
http://www.foopics.com/showfull/d01b5977...34ae6dc9eb
http://www.foopics.com/showfull/764306c4...c9fa8c3c07

Given the maps origin, you likely will not get the full effect out of normal maps without recompiling it with the -deluxe flag during light. This is also why _gloss seems to fail, as its effect is far more visible with normal/deluxe mapped surfaces.

(07-16-2012, 11:19 PM)adem Wrote: I like your textures for aerowalk! It looks very solid and reminds me QuakeWorld's one.

Here is some texture's clipping i found on this map:
http://www.foopics.com/showfull/86dbbf5d...7bc48f8073
http://www.foopics.com/showfull/e234e742...e2cfb7ab5c
http://www.foopics.com/showfull/3a8bb572...646719cfe0
http://www.foopics.com/showfull/d01b5977...34ae6dc9eb
http://www.foopics.com/showfull/764306c4...c9fa8c3c07

As stated before, the map needs editing in order to fix the misalignments on certain brushes. Right now I'm not capable of doing that.

you are going about this in the strangest of manners ... which isnt a bad thing ... its just strange ...

a couple of things

1 ... why no .shader files ?

2 ... 24bit tga textures ... great for quality ... however I imagine that it would take forever to download ... but seeing as this is downloaded out of game its not really an issue

3 ... why are you not capable of recompiling? are you confused by the mapping setup ... is there not .map file in the pk3? ... or something else ...

4 .. "hand made specular maps "... if you find a way to make these other than hand ... do let me know

5 "Ambient Occlusion" -- had to google that to see what it meant ... Tongue

anyways ... you are doing a very very nice job ... its just your way about it is so unusual that I cant really give any constructive advice

This looks great. The old version looks like a Quake 2 map, this looks much like Xonotic.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  howto get list of missing map textures TheGoodGamer 3 3,321 01-09-2018, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  [WIP] Aerowalk Maddin 35 25,588 02-14-2017, 02:44 AM
Last Post: thearcoN
  yakmilk textures for 4-team CTF BuddyFriendGuy 7 5,328 09-26-2016, 01:44 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  An Assault map concept (updated 11th Dec.) ThePWTULN 25 26,327 03-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Last Post: theShadow
  implosionV1R2 [updated 7-12] MintOX 20 20,050 07-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Roanoke