Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New website skin!

Thanks again to everyone for their feedback. I've put in the new icon in the upper left-hand corner when not on the home page. Have fun!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(07-15-2012, 05:28 PM)Droid Wrote:
(07-15-2012, 04:54 AM)machine! Wrote:
(07-15-2012, 04:42 AM)Droid Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zsp1ahGgWE <---should be main video

Small recommendation: Instead of erebus walking at start why cant there be a message saying "What youre about to see is actual gameplay footage"

No. Copyrighted music.

change to rising-of-the-phoenix.ogg aka menu music

I don't think the menu theme should be used outside of the game.
what about xonotic_menu_1 by SC0RP or something like that (disused)

OMG, this have already been discussed, and I think they'll make a new one for the 1.0 release.already

In any case, I'm sure the video has been timed with the music, it's not as easy as "just swapping".

I really like the new website!

badass design is badass Big Grin
How long is a piece of string?

(07-16-2012, 02:29 AM)machine! Wrote: OMG, this have already been discussed, and I think they'll make a new one for the 1.0 release.already

[offtopic] How about a feature to select a menu music depending on menu theme[/offtopic]
[Image: steam.gif]

Admittedly, this site does a lot better job of showing off "hey, we have made this awesome game", as opposed to random game blog like design before.

My one gripe would be making navigation menu on top a bit bigger.

As it happens in most games, they change the site before a major release. How is .7 coming along...i wonder... or they might just skip 0.7 and call it 0.8 like they did from 0.1prev to 0.5
[Image: steam.gif]

My website work is not correlated with any release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5C-cqw2s00

(07-16-2012, 12:04 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: .

Not nice.

What's wrong with Arnie? Big Grin

Also you quoted a dot...

I didn't want to quote a huge link. Tongue

Anyway, I'm not aware of any communication between the Xonotic dev team and the web devs concerning releases.

Absolutely gorgeous.
Drop-dead gorgeous.
That goes for all the sections!

My only issue is that some screenshots on the front page screenshot row (a BRILLIANT idea) are not very pretty! Specifically 2 (no explanation needed), 3 (too jagged) and 5 (glass doesn't look good, I think it's better to replace this altogether but from the same map just for the colours).

I think you should replace image 3 with the title screenshot (one seen in the menu) of Newtonian Nightmare, which me and my friends think (personal opinion!) is the prettiest and most original level. Note that these friends I'm talking about are artists (photographers). A screenshot of the level shown in picture 5 should also be retained to show that Xonotic madness takes place in a variety of environments!

And those are my recommendations. Literally, just slightly better screenshots. Everything else is perfect. You should go into professional web design if you haven't already. Smile

Is there a way of formatting the web pages so that things fit properly on different resolution monitors? On my 1080p monitor, it looks fine, but on my 1366x768 monitor, most pages are too big and I have to scroll a lot. Text is cut off on some pages.

Main page:

Looks fantastic but the 'Latest Threads' and 'Development Activity' lists should be featured here. If there's little space, how about a couple of buttosn that (when highlighted) will show you either the latest threads or the latest dev activity.

Also, the logo you added isn't on the welcome page.

Features:

A bit plain, but concise and easy to read. Could do with more links to pages. For example, a link to the weapons page in the wiki would be nice under 'Distinctive Weapons'. A direct link to a video showcasing the HUD editor under 'HUD Editor' would be cool.

Media:

Clicking on the 'Media' button (at the top) brings you to a page that has a featured video and featured images, but there should be a drop down list when you highlight the 'Media' button so you can navigate to the real image gallery and video gallery far more easily.

I was a bit confused the first time I clicked the media button and it took me a while to realise there were 'Media Subpages' on the right hand side. Big Grin

Both the 'Image Gallery' and 'Video Gallery' pages are missing the 'Media Subpages'.

Blog:

Looks fine, but you should be able to order posts by date. Thumbnails for each entry would look awesome imo.

Overall, I really like the design!

(07-17-2012, 05:24 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote: snip
All good recommendations, but I don't have to scroll at all on my 1280*1024 monitor at all mate. Smile

(07-17-2012, 05:24 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Is there a way of formatting the web pages so that things fit properly on different resolution monitors? On my 1080p monitor, it looks fine, but on my 1366x768 monitor, most pages are too big and I have to scroll a lot. Text is cut off on some pages.

Yes. Try resizing your browser window, you'll see it adapts. There is one layout that I mentioned looks kind of wrong, at about 850px of width.

- The home link doesn't appear on the home page by design - you are already there!
- I'm not showing the sidebar on the front page, and that was also intentional. People don't need to see that on the home page, via a button or otherwise.
- Really, I didn't coordinate with the engine/game code developers when doing this work. I'm the one-man web dev team, just pushing little changes whenever I get the chance, and this particular redesign was on my plate for quite some time.
- Anyone is free to make videos describing the features, and I encourage that. If you make one and it has no copyright encumbrances, I'll include it!

Quote:I'm not showing the sidebar on the front page, and that was also intentional.

Okay, fair enough.

Quote:The home link doesn't appear on the home page by design - you are already there!

I would get rid of the 'home' button (not the logo) and move the navigation bar a little bit to the right (only when viewing it on the home page) so it's always in the same position no matter which page you're on. That would make it look more consistent.

About the media pages...

Well I've noticed that the 'Media Subpages' bit is actually present on the 'image gallery' page, but it's abscent on the 'video gallery' page. If a drop down menu for the 'media' button isn't a good idea, how about making the 'image gallery' and 'video gallery' links under 'Media Subpages' a bit bigger so they're more noticeable?

Finally, the small video thumbnails underneath the big one in the video gallery could be positioned a bit better. How about having 3 in a row instead of 2 and position them so that they cover the entire length of the big video?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about putting a link to the 'Content Submission' somewhere on the media page?

(07-17-2012, 12:57 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: I would get rid of the 'home' button (not the logo) and move the navigation bar a little bit to the right (only when viewing it on the home page) so it's always in the same position no matter which page you're on. That would make it look more consistent.

Agree with you on this one, please fix that Antibody if you got time. Smile

(07-17-2012, 12:57 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Well I've noticed that the 'Media Subpages' bit is actually present on the 'image gallery' page, but it's abscent on the 'video gallery' page. If a drop down menu for the 'media' button isn't a good idea, how about making the 'image gallery' and 'video gallery' links under 'Media Subpages' a bit bigger so they're more noticeable?

No please, keep the site clean and simple.

(07-17-2012, 12:57 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: How about putting a link to the 'Content Submission' somewhere on the media page?

No, we should only have officially content on the website IMO.

(07-17-2012, 09:56 AM)Antibody Wrote: - Anyone is free to make videos describing the features, and I encourage that. If you make one and it has no copyright encumbrances, I'll include it!

I'll try make one, no fancy editing or anything, just showing the features with some nice music in the background, no copyrighted music ofc. Tongue

EDIT: Nope, gonna take years getting some good clips from all features Xonotic has xD

All I can currently say is that it doesn't let me select the "non-mobile" version, it always gives me the mobile version of the web site when I try to access it (no matter how often I switch the mobile version off at the bottom of the page...). Trying to access it with an iPhone atm (tested with Safari and MiniOpera).
(yes I am aware of the shortcomings of that hardware platform, no need to comment on that)

But it looks probably very cool :o)

EDIT: it indeed looks very cool, thanks Antibody!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Quote:No please, keep the site clean and simple.

It doesn't make it any less clean and simple. It adds consistentcy. If the 'Media subpages' bit is missing from one media page and not the other, then it looks shoddy + inconsistent! Smile

I don't want it! Tongue Hope someone can make some sweet trailer Smile