Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Desktop screenshots

(07-26-2012, 01:36 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: SpiKe, are you a fan of Blue Oyster Cult? \m/ Also, nice desktop.

Yep, I like Blue Öyster Cult pretty much ! (and old rock music in general)
But I'm a true AC/DC fan ! Tongue

[Image: zQoHps.png]

Love the minimal design tZork.

Yeah, that's pretty cool. What does the pixel-thin bar at the bottom do?

pop up when mouse-over'd with some quick access to apps i use often

What OS and what WM? Smile

win7 / whatever. i make any desktop i use work like this. "if you have enough dead time to choose a wallpaper (and as of late wm, widgets, bonkerzouse), get away from the computer!" Wink

I like to try different WM"s and such since I learn more and more C on the same time. I use monsterwm atm wich you configure by editing the source code and recompiling.

My turn! Here's what things look like when I'm doing something productive. That's tmux in gnome-terminal with three active panels: vim, postgresql/python, and pyramid. All are doing something stats-related Big Grin

[Image: desktop_adorned_sm.png]

And here you can see the unadorned version. Just openbox and tint2, nothing fancy. The pic I took back in April in the US Pacific NW.

[Image: desktop_unadorned_sm.png]
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Are you actually using Gnome? After switching away from Gnome to wmii, I kept using gnome-terminal because I didn't know better. The problem is that this thing is unforgivably slow. I moved on to xfce's Terminal (it's just called that, Terminal) which provided me with the features I needed from gnome-terminal (tabbing and easy configuration). It's based on libvte for the terminal emulation widget part, just like gnome-terminal, but doesn't suffer from all the Gnome clutter and integration (gconf, ugh.)

I also considered using LilyTerm or Sakura at the time, which are also both based off libvte. I don't remember why I didn't chose them over xfce's Terminal, because they are much more lightweight. (On Arch, lilyterm only depends on vte and weighs 736 KB. Compare with gnome-terminal's 8668 KB and xfce terminal's 3840 KB, without counting their respective dependencies that add more to the total.)

Now I'm a happy user of urxvt (also known as rxvt-unicode), I really dig it. No clutter whatsoever.

I'm not actually using gnome. I've tried all sorts of terminal emulators and gnome-terminal has just stuck. Startuptime/responsiveness hasn't been an issue for me. I'm 100% sure there are better alternatives out there, though! Terminator, maybe...

urxvt is awesome, got all you need, I think it got tab support too, but I've never tried that.

Yep, it does. It's provided by a perl plugin.

Really easy to customize too, instead of difficult GUI's and such hard things you just edit a config file.

Back to the topic: Nice bg antibody! Smile

(07-28-2012, 06:08 AM)Antibody Wrote: I'm not actually using gnome. I've tried all sorts of terminal emulators and gnome-terminal has just stuck. Startuptime/responsiveness hasn't been an issue for me. I'm 100% sure there are better alternatives out there, though! Terminator, maybe...

Did someone say Terminator.... bloated, slow, java, please don't install it.

Suckless's st terminal is something that is worth to try though, at least after it gets a bit more mature Smile

Not that Terminator, this Terminator! I've been using it on and off for a long time. It's snappy and easily configurable.

Thank god! Tongue

[Image: tZXllZQ]

Xfce4 + Docky (cairo-dock didn't work)
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

I've never really understood docks. Where does the dock go when you maximize an app? Doesn't it get in the way? Why doesn't it take more horizontal space to save some vertically, since the empty areas left and right are rendered utterly useless by the presence of the dock?

Mr.Bougo, it's about LOOKING COOL. It's not supposed to be efficient. An efficient Desktop would probably look like tZork's.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(08-02-2012, 03:59 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Why doesn't it take more horizontal space to save some vertically, since the empty areas left and right are rendered utterly useless by the presence of the dock?

Have you heard about Intellihide? As in, auto-hide when obstructing the focused window? This works for me.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(08-02-2012, 05:20 AM)Minkovsky Wrote:
(08-02-2012, 03:59 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Why doesn't it take more horizontal space to save some vertically, since the empty areas left and right are rendered utterly useless by the presence of the dock?

Have you heard about Intellihide? As in, auto-hide when obstructing the focused window? This works for me.

No, I haven't. Sounds like a logical feature to have. Doesn't it pop up annoyingly when you misplace your cursor?

(08-02-2012, 06:18 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Doesn't it pop up annoyingly when you misplace your cursor?

It's not like the Unity launcher where you have to push the mouse for a bit, but if you misplace the cursor, it stays up very briefly, so the actual annoyance factor is very small.

Oh alright, that's neat.

I also use Unity on my main PC, because it doesn't break the mouse in Minecraft (so much) and has the awesome HUD feature. Though if there is any way to get that on XFCE, I'm listening.

I updated to Ubuntu 12.04 with Gnome 3.4 the last weekend. Smile

[Image: scaled.php?server=38&filename=deskaxz.png&res=crop]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Upgrading Desktop Squigger 27 27,399 12-02-2012, 04:41 AM
Last Post: edh
  Ugly desktop backgrounds made when bored hutty 11 17,202 10-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  vintage nexuiz screenshots (2003) frostwyrm333 17 20,232 07-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  Should I return my Sager NP9150 and upgrade my desktop???? GreenNex 4 6,964 06-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Should I upgrade my desktop computer? Exitium 6 9,607 06-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Last Post: jaykay
  WebP Screenshots Dave 6 7,610 10-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Last Post: edh
  Anyone use Linux on a desktop/workstation system? tux9656 2 4,392 07-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Last Post: divVerent