Create an account

Poll: Should there be an option to exclude certain fullbright colors?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
42.86%
3 42.86%
No
28.57%
2 28.57%
Don't care
28.57%
2 28.57%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Option to exclude certain fullbright colors

Dark blue is hard to see, rainbow is confusing. Would be cool to have an option to exclude certain primary colors. A console variable would be enough, e.g. 1 bit per color (1=allow, 0 =forbid). Forbidden colors should be replaced by a default color (e.g. white).

As you can force colors client side now, this would be of little use.

I mean client side. afaik you can only force all enemies to the same color. If you want to allow different colors, you have to live with colors that you don't like.

Color is forced to your color, yes. So if you are using a stealthy color scheme, then yes it will be harder to see your foes, and that's preddy fair id say Wink

It is fair, but imagine FFA when everybody has the same color. Then you can't easily tell the hard foes from the cannon fodder Wink So I don't force them to my color. But try to frag a dark blue opponent on evil space. Nearly impssible.

We could connect a coloring scheme with the elo ranking system. The higher your elo, the brighter you are :o)

Of course this would require extensive coding efforts, but that's not my job.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

hehe ... i would be the darkest blue out there if we had that Tongue

Force colors and model is the most fair, since you self will be big and bright if anyone else is it.

Looks like I'll have to do it the rough way. In one of the pk3s I'll find the dark blue skin and I'll paint it white Wink

Or you can just force colors and model, much easier. I force the colors to bright green and the mega erebus model, I can easily see enemies and they can do the same with me, fair and effective. Smile

(07-24-2012, 04:25 PM)Micha Wrote: Looks like I'll have to do it the rough way. In one of the pk3s I'll find the dark blue skin and I'll paint it white Wink

1st: it's done with engine colorisation, the skin is already white IIRC where the glow color should be.
2nd: changing official media, especially if it enhances your vision is considered CHEATING.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

No Micha! That is a form of cheating! DON'T ALTER THE MAIN .PK3 FILES!

Quote:We could connect a coloring scheme with the elo ranking system.

That sounds awesome. If you were to take into account which type of elo a player had (either DM, Duel or CTF) and make it correspond to which type of gamemode they were playing with, that would be very difficult, but if you just used the 'overall' elo, that would be easier. Or you could do it by 'overall' player rank instead of elo.

Instead of cycling through loads of different shades and colours (it would be difficult to memorise which colour meant how skilled a player was), players could select which colour they want client-side (e.g. yellow) and then all that will change is how bright a player's shade of yellow is.

I think it's a big disadvantage in FFA if all players have the same color. Imagine you see 2 players fighting from a save place. The best plan is to kill the stronger one while he's diverted, then finish the weaker one in a fair 1on1. If all have the same color, you can only tell them apart by the name tag, which might take too long. So I don't enforce my color. But this means I have to live with some dark blue enemies who have an advantage over me. Either way it's not satisfying, so I think it would be good if you could forbid certain colors client side.

I don't like the idea. It make elo importent in-game, which is not what it's supposed to be.

"But this means I have to live with some dark blue enemies who have an advantage over me."

Erm... you can only force your own model on your enemies client side - if you see your enemy in a camouflage color, that means he sees every other player in that camouflage color too. It's rather a disadvantage for him/her, not you.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

The "Force to mine" is perfect in terms of fair play, and tactically.

(07-25-2012, 05:00 PM)C.Brutail Wrote: Erm... you can only force your own model on your enemies client side - if you see your enemy in a camouflage color, that means he sees every other player in that camouflage color too. It's rather a disadvantage for him/her, not you.

Only if he enforces his color to all enemies. If he wants to have different colors, then only some of them might be camouflaged.

And isn't it a contradiction in terms to have a camouflage color on a fullbright model?

Now is this blue so camouflage in the first place? I have never noticed that...
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(07-26-2012, 04:03 AM)Halogene Wrote: Now is this blue so camouflage in the first place? I have never noticed that...

Not on all maps. But try evil space minsta against a dark blue opponent, then against bright green or red. That's maybe the most obvious example. Long distance and dark background -> dark blue is camouflaged.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic Cinematics - Camera Option HELP zeroql 3 4,177 12-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] New server list option PinkRobot 11 10,381 11-29-2011, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Lord Canistra