Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] step - sounds - decals

currently there are only 3 sounds for steps ... normal (crete), metal, and nothing ...
which makes terrain, snow, creaky wood, goo ... kinda not work ...

I suggest that we add custom step sounds to shaders ... so that we can have more fun noises ...
While were are at it ... might as well add sounds for moving within the volume of a brush (for underwater, or thick brush, or windyness)

Thirdly I would like to have the option for players to leave decals when they step ... this is most useful for footprints in soft materials ... (like snow)
I assume that all of these would be set in the shader....

good idea?
bad idea?

(08-07-2012, 11:53 PM)hutty Wrote: currently there are only 3 sounds for steps ... normal (crete), metal, and nothing ...
which makes terrain, snow, creaky wood, goo ... kinda not work ...

I suggest that we add custom step sounds to shaders ... so that we can have more fun noises ...
While were are at it ... might as well add sounds for moving within the volume of a brush (for underwater, or thick brush, or windyness)

Thirdly I would like to have the option for players to leave decals when they step ... this is most useful for footprints in soft materials ... (like snow)
I assume that all of these would be set in the shader....

good idea?
bad idea?
We'd need to find a sound engineer willing to GPL his stuff. And probably work for free. Unless we run a fundraiser, like selling Xonotic schwag.
[Image: 2386.png] Professional noob...
of...
Paradox Space...

im not asking for sounds ....

im asking for the ability to play the sounds at the correct times....

there are already places to get gpl/royaltyfree/publicdomain sounds

Programming-wise, this is a modification that would be done to the engine, not to the game code. It's rather annoying, because step sounds are done in the game code using the DP_TRACE_HITCONTENTSMASK_SURFACEINFO engine extension which offers a limited range of flags for surfaces.

Code:
float Q3SURFACEFLAG_NODAMAGE = 1;
float Q3SURFACEFLAG_SLICK = 2; // low friction surface
float Q3SURFACEFLAG_SKY = 4; // sky surface (also has NOIMPACT and NOMARKS set)
float Q3SURFACEFLAG_LADDER = 8; // climbable surface
float Q3SURFACEFLAG_NOIMPACT = 16; // projectiles should remove themselves on impact (this is set on sky)
float Q3SURFACEFLAG_NOMARKS = 32; // projectiles should not leave marks, such as decals (this is set on sky)
float Q3SURFACEFLAG_FLESH = 64; // projectiles should do a fleshy effect (blood?) on impact
float Q3SURFACEFLAG_NODRAW = 128; // compiler hint (not important to qc)
//float Q3SURFACEFLAG_HINT = 256; // compiler hint (not important to qc)
//float Q3SURFACEFLAG_SKIP = 512; // compiler hint (not important to qc)
//float Q3SURFACEFLAG_NOLIGHTMAP = 1024; // compiler hint (not important to qc)
//float Q3SURFACEFLAG_POINTLIGHT = 2048; // compiler hint (not important to qc)
float Q3SURFACEFLAG_METALSTEPS = 4096; // walking on this surface should make metal step sounds
float Q3SURFACEFLAG_NOSTEPS = 8192; // walking on this surface should not make footstep sounds
float Q3SURFACEFLAG_NONSOLID = 16384; // compiler hint (not important to qc)
//float Q3SURFACEFLAG_LIGHTFILTER = 32768; // compiler hint (not important to qc)
//float Q3SURFACEFLAG_ALPHASHADOW = 65536; // compiler hint (not important to qc)
//float Q3SURFACEFLAG_NODLIGHT = 131072; // compiler hint (not important to qc)
//float Q3SURFACEFLAG_DUST = 262144; // translucent 'light beam' effect (not important to qc)

There's not much room for more surfaceflags (5 of them) and I'm not even sure it would be okay with respect to the other games using the DarkPlaces engine to extend this extension with five more surfaceflags. Maybe Q3SURFACEFLAG_CUSTOM1 through 5 could be added, to be set by shaders somehow?

I suggest you discuss this with someone more knowledgable about the engine than I am, because I'm just doing guesswork here Wink

For water ambient sounds, I'm sure something can be done. I don't think the audio can be filtered (which could be a nice effect), but ambient sounds seem like a possibility.

(08-08-2012, 12:00 AM)Shadowman84 Wrote: We'd need to find a sound engineer willing to GPL his stuff. And probably work for free. Unless we run a fundraiser, like selling Xonotic schwag.

http://forums.xonotic.org/member.php?act...e&uid=3336
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(08-08-2012, 04:04 AM)C.Brutail Wrote:
(08-08-2012, 12:00 AM)Shadowman84 Wrote: We'd need to find a sound engineer willing to GPL his stuff. And probably work for free. Unless we run a fundraiser, like selling Xonotic schwag.

http://forums.xonotic.org/member.php?act...e&uid=3336

oh well that's just dandy. I stand by selling schwag though.

I want T-shirts!
[Image: 2386.png] Professional noob...
of...
Paradox Space...

http://forums.xonotic.org/member.php?act...ile&uid=44

t

:^

i could make whatever sounds required, just give me lenght of sample requred and what ya need, then prepare yaself to get it in game.

i may not beable to get the exact sound ya need , but im quite sure ill get close.

pm me or irc nerd net.

t

:^

meh ... Looks complicated ... I guess it would be pretty greedy to ask to use up all the surface flags ...

but having a grasssteps ... would help ... especially with all the new outdoor vctf maps that are coming in ...

step decals would still be possible ... right?

edit :: or ... could you make a soundstep surface type ... that looks in the shader file for the sound to play ... then we could have anything ... with only taking up one slot

I don't think the QC VM has access to shaders, which would be why we have the surfaceinfo extension in the first place.

hmm ...

maybe there would be a way to do it without messing with the shader file ....

maybe a sound-move entity ... that plays a sound only one when a player is in the brush ... and moving ... that would cover both the rustling ... and the step sounds ... (a little more effort to put into the map ... but it still would work)

Indeed, that might work! But maybe discuss this with devs a little before making a formal feature request.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Enable Jump Sounds Beagle 2 2,957 06-20-2016, 06:04 AM
Last Post: SPLAT
  [SUGGESTION] gibs/corpses that dissappear on player respawn and subtle disappearing decals Lee_Stricklin 1 4,156 05-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon names STEP 2 - contributing names Dokujisan 98 108,550 06-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Last Post: s1lence
  [SUGGESTION] Gibs, decals, corpses and other tweaks Lee_Stricklin 8 8,396 09-01-2010, 03:05 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon names STEP 1 - brainstorming words Dokujisan 15 17,284 03-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Last Post: ai