Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DM]Blood Prison (xon)

UPDATED 9/3/12

i took the official version of blood prison from nexuiz and tweaked it so it plays decently in xonotic.

i've only tested it in duel so far, but it seems to hold up pretty well there.

look at it, play it, let me know what i did wrong. i'm kinda new to the whole 'mapping' thing.

NEW VERSION:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18792409/bloodp...xon_r2.pk3

screenshots:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9kjkhvr9hw57t...0screenies

Nice, I missed that map in Xonotic. Will test it asap.

Edit: tested it, and like some other Nexuiz maps it needs to be rescaled by around 1.2 imo. I'm not sure if the player model size actually changed in Xonotic or if it's due to the new physics but the map definitely felt wider in Nexuiz.

The scaling looks fine to while testing offline. At least I don't get stuck on anything while jumping around like on other Nexuiz maps. Probably need to test it in a match.

hey, nice for bringing this map up! but your 'remake' is not finished. it looks still too much like Nexuiz style in my opinion. Jumppads, bricks, old floor textures (no shaders? use xonotic shaders!), teleport (argh), wood, blood, etc...

Skybox looks nice tho.

You asked about lightning....Let me anwser you with following question: what lightning? Tongue

I agree with Justin. Xonotic-ise it!

Justin: i never said i remade it; i only tweaked it enough so it's playable. you have a point, though: i probably should have posted this somewhere else, since i'm going to try to make it prettier as i learn how to do that. i have been thinking about turning the teleporter into a warpzone, though.

asyyy: haha, it's already scaled by 1.2. the player model size did change (EDIT: nope'd by tZork) - it's why all the nexuiz maps have to be rescaled. this thing is really small. maybe i'll try 1.4?

May not be the biggest of issues, but I suggest selecting a background music track.

(08-09-2012, 12:40 PM)mudkip Wrote: Justin: i never said i remade it; i only tweaked it enough so it's playable. you have a point, though: i probably should have posted this somewhere else, since i'm going to try to make it prettier as i learn how to do that. i have been thinking about turning the teleporter into a warpzone, though.

asyyy: haha, it's already scaled by 1.2. the player model size did change - it's why all the nexuiz maps have to be rescaled. this thing is really small. maybe i'll try 1.4?
Then I experience a placebo because of the different movement physics. Got the same on aggressorX btw which I liked in Nexuiz but which doesn't feel right for me in Xonotic.

(08-09-2012, 12:40 PM)mudkip Wrote: ... the player model size did change ...

nexuiz/constants.qh Wrote:vector PL_MIN = '-16 -16 -24';
vector PL_MAX = '16 16 45';

xonotic/constants.qh Wrote:noref var vector autocvar_sv_player_maxs = '16 16 45';
noref var vector autocvar_sv_player_mins = '-16 -16 -24';
#define PL_MIN autocvar_sv_player_mins
#define PL_MAX autocvar_sv_player_maxs

nope.avi

(08-09-2012, 12:21 PM)Justin Wrote: hey, nice for bringing this map up! but your 'remake' is not finished. it looks still too much like Nexuiz style in my opinion. Jumppads, bricks, old floor textures (no shaders? use xonotic shaders!), teleport (argh), wood, blood, etc...

(08-09-2012, 12:36 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: I agree with Justin. Xonotic-ise it!

(08-09-2012, 12:54 PM)rafallus Wrote: May not be the biggest of issues, but I suggest selecting a background music track.

done.

[Image: armour%20room%20A.jpg]

also did some more general updates. check it out!

pk3

more screenshots (courtesy of srkdy)

thats looking pretty good for a basic retexture Big Grin ... nice

These holes in the wall does not look good imo:
[Image: xonotic20120904122935-00.jpg]

Thats still too nexuiz-ish:
[Image: xonotic20120904122953-00.jpg]

This jumppad seems definitely too big, You probably scaled the map up but forgot that models also are beeing scaled:
[Image: xonotic20120904122956-00.jpg]

Make clipping on these structures:
[Image: xonotic20120904123003-00.jpg]

Bug on the warpzone:
[Image: xonotic20120904123038-00.jpg]

Sky is pretty but it doesn't suit the overall lighting:
[Image: xonotic20120904123051-00.jpg]

PS: I would also change the light system of the map. Those simple boxy brushes doesn't feel futuristic at all. (Or is it just my personal opinion?)

Mudkip and I played a few matches on it last night, and it was quite fun. I recorded them:

[Image: 2823.png]

that map looks ugly and the item is also bad. me does not like that. take a look at darkzone how to do a remake.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Quote:that map looks ugly and the item is also bad. me does not like that. take a look at darkzone how to do a remake.
That's quite generic criticism, for someone who always complains people are never specific enough about their gripes with a map. Or is that the joke and did I just not get it? Tongue
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Cortez was only joking, no need to worry. He also told me that he's going to post a huge and constructive feedback down here as soon as he maneges to.

I wish you good luck with this remake, it definitely has potential (I like that word: potential).

Dry sense of humour... Tongue

The warpzone is buggy: screenshot

That's with r_water 0. A map with warpzones should also temporary turn r_water on, like stormkeep does for example.

(09-04-2012, 12:35 PM)Justin Wrote: Cortez was only joking, no need to worry. He also told me that he's going to post a huge and constructive feedback down here as soon as he maneges to.

yeah of course.

This looks like a very poor attempt to make a nexuiz map playable in Xonotic. Did you even had a plan while remaking it? There is nothing, no structure, no constant visuals, not even an attempt to keep the style of the original.
Another thing is the item placement. Dunno why you did that? When you want to keep the gameplay of the original, thats a wrong step. Then you should stick to the original and optimize that.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(09-04-2012, 02:28 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 12:35 PM)Justin Wrote: Cortez was only joking, no need to worry. He also told me that he's going to post a huge and constructive feedback down here as soon as he maneges to.

yeah of course.

This looks like a very poor attempt to make a nexuiz map playable in Xonotic. Did you even had a plan while remaking it? There is nothing, no structure, no constant visuals, not even an attempt to keep the style of the original.
Another thing is the item placement. Dunno why you did that? When you want to keep the gameplay of the original, thats a wrong step. Then you should stick to the original and optimize that.

I'm curious if you are still "only joking" or if you are attempting to give "constructive feedback". If this is supposed to be constructive feedback... I suggest that mudkip ignore it. This is not what constructive feedback looks like.

Regarding item placement, I don't see why one should be forced to keep the item placement from a different game when porting/remaking a map. I'd prefer any map that is released for Xonotic to be balanced for this game, not it's predecessor. Why hang onto the past when we have the whole future in front of us?

Another thing, I've pretty much only seen myself and mudkip play on this map thus far, as well as for the initial release a month ago. I'd love to see how this map is played by people with different playstyles and levels of skill. If anybody has some demos, I'd love to watch them Big Grin

(09-05-2012, 02:54 AM)srkdy Wrote: I'm curious if you are still "only joking" or if you are attempting to give "constructive feedback". If this is supposed to be constructive feedback... I suggest that mudkip ignore it. This is not what constructive feedback looks like.
Im dead serious. Thats what i think about that remake. its just unpolished no constant visuals.

(09-05-2012, 02:54 AM)srkdy Wrote: Regarding item placement, I don't see why one should be forced to keep the item placement from a different game when porting/remaking a map. I'd prefer any map that is released for Xonotic to be balanced for this game, not it's predecessor.

i never said that he should stick to original itemplacement, but this was his intention, it was a bad attempt.

(09-05-2012, 12:57 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(09-05-2012, 02:54 AM)srkdy Wrote: I'm curious if you are still "only joking" or if you are attempting to give "constructive feedback". If this is supposed to be constructive feedback... I suggest that mudkip ignore it. This is not what constructive feedback looks like.
Im dead serious. Thats what i think about that remake. its just unpolished no constant visuals.

(09-05-2012, 02:54 AM)srkdy Wrote: Regarding item placement, I don't see why one should be forced to keep the item placement from a different game when porting/remaking a map. I'd prefer any map that is released for Xonotic to be balanced for this game, not it's predecessor.

i never said that he should stick to original itemplacement, but this was his intention, it was a bad attempt.

Fair enough, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I guess I just had an issue with the term "constructive feedback", as it is being misused here. Wink

Personally, I like the map. I think that it looks much improved from the original, visually. I also feel that it plays well, which is ultimately the most important aspect of a duel map. This is just my opinion.

I'm including it in the map pool for the next duel cup that I'm planning; alongside stormkeep, hub, fe26 and bloodrun. Big Grin

a couple things ...

1 -- I was assumig that this wasn't done yet ... before the new visuals can come in, the nexuiz textures must go out ...
2 -- I actually don't care for some of the texture choices used in darkzone ... I find stromkeep to be a much better example (although darkzone is the king map of details)
also 2 -- of course cortez is going to use darkzone as an example ... he remade it >.< ...

alright:

i should have posted this in the Editing and Concept Art forum. i also should have made my intentions clear from my first post.

i started this project a few months ago, when srkdy and i were looking for more maps to play. i looked at bloodprison, thought, "hey, this layout is cool. why didn't it make it into xonotic?" right away, i thought having three megas on such a small map would be a bit much for xpm balance, so i started toying with it, making small changes here and there while playtesting through several versions to see if it could work. i had absolutely no mapping experience at the time, so the idea of reworking and old map was more friendly to me than coming up with my own concept and building it from the ground up.

eventually, it got to a point where the map felt really good, and we were having interesting matches on it. someone happened to see us playing, and suggested i post it on the forums. a few weeks later, i did!

i didn't intend to change the visuals because i barely knew how to move items, let alone make things look better. but after i saw my initial feedback had everything to do with visuals, i thought i'd try it. as of right now, i've only replaced all the textures and messed with a tiny amount of physical details. i've yet to even touch the lighting, as that's even more of a mystery to me. so of course this isn't anywhere near done in those respects (just to be clear, i do plan to improve all these things)!

all that said,

(09-05-2012, 02:54 AM)srkdy Wrote: I'd love to see how this map is played by people with different playstyles and levels of skill.

having only two people playtest a map is quite short-sighted.

@the warpzone issue: i will soon post a fixed version.
@Justin: you've given me quite a few things to address. this is good. it will probably take me a while to fix everything.

oh, and if anyone with moderation powers thinks this thread belongs in Editing and Concept Art, feel free to move it.

If you want it to be moved I will move it, but personally I think it sits fine here.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [MAP] Bloody Run (remake for Blood Run) AriosJentu 35 13,139 01-03-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: AriosJentu
  Xon settings for levelshots TheGoodGamer 4 3,100 01-04-2018, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  Looking for maps that resemble stock Xon ones end user 2 3,481 11-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Last Post: end user