Warfare

Amazing layout
Amazing lights
Amazing clipping
Amazing texturing
Amazing UT2004 elevators

I salute you Maddin!

ok ... im back ... and armed with screenshots this time

this is what the soil looks like on my computer ... the issue is ... its this kinda icky greenish tan with little circles in it ... it looks fine outside the window when blended with the rock ... but here its just .... eww ...

very cool elevator ... Big Grin

-- left ... I like the floor panels ... they look nice :3
-- right ... gaa ..>.< pipes come to corner ... look so fake ... >.<

I like details like this ... but ... how does 14ish polys of grass lower fps ... when a 14+ poly spinny dial thing doesn't ... there must be something seriously wrong with the grass shader ...

teleporter is very very good ... Big Grin
... blue and red wires a little jagged though ... I would consider just making a wire picture for them instead ...

... double post to cheat the 5 attachment limit Tongue ...

this clipping thing bugged me in the original version too .... please add something visual there ... (pipes ... fence .. forefield ... rocks ... computerscreens ... anything visible )

.jpg   xon-warfare-shot-0007.jpg (Size: 34.29 KB / Downloads: 415)

(this is looking at the shaders maddin made in radiant)

you followed the map_ naming standards Big Grin ... rep point 4 u ^^

... now I noticed that you did intend for the soil to be sand ... but ... since when does grass that tall/thick/green grow in sand? ... and since when does sand sit still in its little place and not spread little sand grains in the surrounding area?

also ... why did you need to make a second version of the floor panel (and how is it different ) ... just curious ..

for anyone else bugging him about soil texture ... here is what he has to choose from... without going into extra effort to make his own soil ... tbh ... it not a very wide selection ... (I dont know where you got the rock texture from though )

(08-17-2012, 10:19 PM)hutty Wrote: for anyone else bugging him about soil texture ... here is what he has to choose from... without going into extra effort to make his own soil

the soil texture is from the phillipx2 texture set
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Right Cortez. And the floor panel is a decal (if you would have had a look at the shader...) so that it doesn´t cost thousand of polygons to shape out the geometry of the panel.

Concerning the pipe details outside that one window, you´re right. I need to convert that into a lower poly model.

The grass will be changed... just don´t flame all the hell out now that it doesn´t look that fitting. Undecided It´s the first version so bugs and such may occur.

Anyway thanks for the screenshots and comments hutty, those did help me a lot to understand your points. Smile

I tried it out but I didn't even notice what was changed except for the terrain bits but its cool anyway. Need old map or screenshot comparison.
Could you modify the elevator so it would activate when you step on it immediately?

aaaahhhh ... thats where it came from Tongue ...

I was wondering about that ...

still doesn't change the fact that I dont like it though .... :3

and floor decals is very clever ....

Maybe replace the grass with one of these?
http://nobiax.deviantart.com/art/Free-3D...3853&qo=27

with one of these textures:
http://nobiax.deviantart.com/gallery/248...4#/d4aem4h

It's public domain and i'm getting sick of seeing that same grass everywhere in xonotic

(08-18-2012, 05:29 PM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: Could you modify the elevator so it would activate when you step on it immediately?

this would break the possibility to laser up to nex through the elevator shaft, which i find very usefull.
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

@silencer:

Believe it or not but I had exactly the same in mind. Big Grin

Edit:

I removed all that grass and I think it would be the best solution. No grass model seems to fit in this map...

Did a quick update on the item placement which was a suggestion by Fisume.

Download: warfare_v2.pk3 11.9Mb

Much better now Maddin, especially since you've gotten rid of the crappy grass.

It runs well, looks good, plays well and has good item placement (with tips from the pros).

Good to hear that. Maybe I should make a merge request soon that it´ll become official?

merge requests are the most useless idea ever, and the verification of the core team is also a joke.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Merge requests are not the most useless idea ever. They don't get much attention, that's the problem.

Cortez, be quiet! Smile Thanks!

_________

I will finish this map, optimise VIS and reduce polycount etc. and then will make a merge request. We´ll see what happens then.

Optimised performance and did a lot of texture alignment fixes. Plus I implemented the feature which was requested before: The elevator can now be triggered by damage too. This version should be pretty much final. Next thing I will do is talking to the main devs and ask them what they think about this map and whether it could be merged into master.

Downlod: warfare_v3.pk3 11.1Mb

The map looks stunning and plays great. Very nice job!

I´m working on the map again, tweaking the visuals as I heard somewhere that this is the only why this map isn´t official yet. Tongue

So, one thing which bothered me were the terrain parts which are completely blank and definitely need some foliage. I tried lots of different plants, grasses, weeds (I mean, really a lot; it was frustrating) and until now only this bamboo and weed thingy look promising:
[Image: warfare3_thumb.jpg]

I hope you have the same good thoughts about this... I really do...

Special thanks to Nobiax for the great models! (I modified most of them in the map though.)

Naah... looks too random and totally misplaced.

Either make it a planted flowerbed or something like that, or think how small scrubs or grass might have settled that bare ground naturally (f.e. place some small patchy grass at the corners towards the wall or something like that).

P.S.: How about some rocks instead of plants?

Hmm ok. I´m not that confident about the rocks though I´ll give it a try.

What do you think about cactuses?

The left one
top left
bottom left

Its really great that you work on warfare again! Smile

I like the idea to place a few plants here and there to give the arena a nice look. The super-high and big plants on your screenshot could be a bit distracting when playing this map, so I would rather place some tiny plants or some grass in the terrain.
Keep up your work, I hope this map becomes an official one soon!

The terrain has now some rock/stone formation on it, plus this bush. Maybe now it looks fine? What do you think? As far as I am concerned this looks way better than the previous plants, especially with the stones; it creates some more realistic depth. Though I still have to tweak the dot2product terrain to get some more rock texture to show up. The soil/sand makes it really look like nothing can grow there.

[Image: warfare4_thumb.jpg]

Yes, it looks better now, but the single bush looks out of place, you should try to add some small foliage-like grass.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(03-31-2013, 03:13 PM)Maddin Wrote: bottom left

Maybe try that on instead of the bush.

Did you try the model rocks I linked? Might look better than using terrain bumps with a rock texture.

P.S.: I guess you are over thinking such a small part of the map.

I tried the rocks you linked, the problem with them were the textures which seemed out of place due to the different colours and structures. Here is the terrain with the cactuses:

[Image: warfare5_thumb.jpg]

Is it better now?

poVoq Wrote:I guess you are over thinking such a small part of the map.
This small terrain part is just an example for all the terrain in the whole level. Of course, as soon as I (or better say, the community) am/is happy with the result in this small part, the other terrain sections will be refined too.

Also, I need more opinions on this! Don´t be shy to tell me your thoughts! Smile