Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CleanIT wants to censor EU Internet for "anti-terrorism"

I'm back! I actually went ahead and asked them some questions, got this as a reply:
CleanIT Person Wrote:thank you for your interest in the CleanIT project. Allow me to answer your questions.

It is not our intent to limit freedom of expression, but reduce the volume of terrorist
activity on the Internet. European Union and national legislation determines what is
terrorist activity. While the private sector is in the lead, we will not accept suggestions
that are illegal. We do not discuss copyright issues in this project.

I hope these answers reduce your legitimate concerns at least a bit. Do send me other comments
or questions if I can be of assistance.

Allow me to point at our new draft that has just been published. If you could comment on that
text, pointing out your concerns to me, I will seriously consider these and try and use them
to improve the draft for a new version,
http://www.cleanitproject.eu/new-clean-i...available/

Reading the project draft right now.

So while they do say that they don't want to touch copyright issues, I think there may be some stretches here and there to make some file sharing services seem like terrorist activity.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

My view is still thatwhatever they want to 'limit' has nothing to do with 'terrorism'. No real criminal groups use the public net to communicate, so it's pointless to try to censor the public net. As for the darknets - it's impossible to monitor/censor these. My recommendation for them is to drop this thing and get to work on more pressing matters like creating more workplaces where ppl get paid enough money to live & not just survive :-P.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(08-20-2012, 05:51 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: No real criminal groups use the public net to communicate,

http://boards.4chan.org/b/

O RLY?

I still think further limiting freedom of expression on the Internet is rather evil, though. Especially when it's led by the private sector. This is just asking for abuse.

(08-20-2012, 05:51 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: pressing matters like creating more workplaces where ppl get paid enough money to live & not just survive :-P.

They're IT politicians. Their more pressing matters are making sure IPv6 is widely adopted.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

4chan ain't criminals - they're more like a natural chaos source of the internet ;-)

I'm all for ipv6 too.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Internet Explorer satuim 24 23,468 04-21-2014, 05:10 AM
Last Post: satuim
  Wisdom of Internet anark10n 14 10,648 03-27-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: anark10n
  [SOLVED]Experiencing Some Internet Problems anark10n 4 5,291 09-03-2012, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Devastating internet censorship plan (new SOPA) to be put in practice from July! MirceaKitsune 21 20,377 06-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  Weird requests from the dark corners of the internet? Minkovsky 8 7,699 05-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  Help fight internet censorship and SOPA! MirceaKitsune 22 24,731 03-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Maddin
  can anyone help my fail internet. ... 11 10,941 01-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Spaceman