Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think I screwed up my GTK/GNOME/GWhatever, help?

Have posted this to askubuntu and ubuntuforums, no reply. This is not a system-breaking problem, but it's annoying. If anybody knows how to fix this, please say so.

So, instructions a program I had compiled recently said I should run `glib-compile-schemas` in main schemas directory. Now, on the next reboot, a bunch of problems occured. They include, but are not limited to: * GTK2 reverting to its herpderp theme, * GTK3 playing a bunch of sounds on button clicks, * Both GTKs having toolbars in the huge-ass text-below-icon style, * Menus now showing up in both Unity bar and their respective windows, * Qt adopting the herpderp theme (unless switched to QtCurve or something in settings, not all apps allow that), * theme being unchangeable through dconf-editor, gconf-editor and high-level tools.

It's like the applications became unaware of the GSettings.

I already reinstalled GLib, GTK 2 and 3, GSettings, GConf and a bunch of other packages, no dice.

Any tips (aside from "reinstall the system")?
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(08-12-2012, 03:29 AM)Minkovsky Wrote: Any tips (aside from "reinstall the system")?

Hi Minkovsky, what I would do is set up an extra user account and see if the problems still persist. Did you run glib-compile-schemas as normal user or as root (e.g. with sudo)? Anyway, if it works with the new user account you could then rename the related directories in your $HOME: .gnome, .gnome2, and maybe .config. I suggest to rename only one at a time, log in and see if the problems are solved. I think all of these directories and their contents will be created if they don't exist, so you would have your settings restored to defaults. If you want to, you can later copy over some application settings from your backup directories (since you renamed the original ones at the beginning).

I hope that helps! If you have more questions, feel free to ask Big Grin
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

"glib-compile-schemas" just compiles GSetting's XML files into the binary file "gschemas.compiled". I don't think that's what the problem really is.

Have you tried running them from the terminal and see if any error messages occuer?

No error messages when compiling schemas, getting rid of ~/.conf/dconf only changed my wallpaper*; the system is still screwed up. New profile does the same.

* Edit: It actually did a few other things; Weather Indicator has reset and screensaver now asks me for the password again, but other than that, most GTK stuff seems disconnected from the config database. I need to point out that I did in fact reinstall it a few times already.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

My suggestion would be to first check GNOMEs documentation on there site and if you won't find a suggestion there you ask GNOME's mailing-list. It looks like you got gchemas to overide the defaults with some wierd settings.

(08-12-2012, 08:44 AM)machine! Wrote: My suggestion would be to first check GNOMEs documentation on there site and if you won't find a suggestion there you ask GNOME's mailing-list. It looks like you got gchemas to overide the defaults with some wierd settings.

I have read GNOME's documentation on GSettings briefly, as I wanted to write a program using GNOME frameworks. I don't know much about GConf, except that it's lower level than GSettings (which uses dconf). GSettings mostly works; just now I have successfully changed my wallpaper via dconf-editor. I will post in GNOME's mailing list, thanks for that tip. Reinstalling GConf again, this time downloading new packages.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me choose new domain name Ch4mp 23 15,767 07-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Ch4mp
  Need help identifying a part Lee_Stricklin 9 10,143 04-13-2015, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  Help liberate ROTC:Ethernet poVoq 8 7,256 02-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Last Post: poVoq
Question Help finding a song The mysterious Mr. 4m 1 3,309 10-10-2013, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  Perl help Spaceman 3 3,011 04-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  A *Mythos Story (that you help to write) Minkovsky 7 7,982 04-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  Help fight internet censorship and SOPA! MirceaKitsune 22 24,726 03-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Last Post: Maddin
  Need help with music producing! kllleE 9 10,313 12-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Last Post: bitbomb
  Help support a new indie project! Samual 2 11,459 12-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Last Post: unfa
  Iron Fist Help? tempris 6 5,710 06-29-2011, 03:44 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL