Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DISCUSSION] I am running onlinux and looking for some tweaks.....

Does any one know any linux tweaks to get the game running smoother and better with a lil visual looks and still not lose preformence also input lag is crucial.

Some more info would be nice. Smile

Which linux distro are you using?
What hardware do you have?
What software have you installed?
What is your fps like?

Which linux distro are you using-Linux Mint 13 maya Mate
What hardware do you have HD5770 1gig and xeon 5130 x2
What software have you installed Nexuiz/Xonotic Playonlinux and default software oh my video drivers of course
What is your fps like i have to chec the FPS any way of doing this on linux.

Also Xonotic quits to desktop when i try to change resolution and antialiasing and stuff like that any ideas for that?

There is a standardised benchmark which you can try running:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2562

Some results from this are here:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2562

Most similar to your system should be this, the numbers at the end are the results at each different graphical level run by the benchmark: OMG, low, medium, normal, high, ultra, ultimate:
Phenom II X4 945 8G AMD Radeon HD 5670 249 232 210 195 168 103 73

If you're not beating those numbers, something is very wrong with your setup. Your video drivers are very important in this, what drivers are you using?

You should not have to bring all of the settings down on a system this powerful so instead look at what you can do with the configuration of your system:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2685
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

the benchmarking tool is not working for me at all is there somthing i have to download.

Quote:Also Xonotic quits to desktop when i try to change resolution and antialiasing and stuff like that any ideas for that?

Run the game by using xonotic-linux-sdl.sh not the glx one, and it'll fix this problem (seeing how many ppl bump into problems with glx I feel the devs should put a big red banner saying that)

As for performance: turn off desktop effects, turn off any constantly network connected apps (like im, microblogs, cloud storage, anything that keeps using the network regularly), apart from that you just need to adjust the settings in the game.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(08-26-2012, 06:13 PM)kidx Wrote: the benchmarking tool is not working for me at all is there somthing i have to download.

Please help us to help you by giving a little more information. For clarification there is no extra software required to run the benchmark. When you run the-big-benchmark.sh what happens? Are you running it from a terminal? If not, try from ther terminal and please post the output you get.

where do i get the .sh thats my prolem i cant find so please help me so i can help you.

(08-27-2012, 02:12 PM)kidx Wrote: where do i get the .sh thats my prolem i cant find so please help me so i can help you.

It's explained in the first link edh posted, which itself links here: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...quirements

Quoting from that page:
Quote:How to run the benchmark

First turn off any screen savers you may be running.

Then, in misc/tools/the-big-benchmark/, run the-big-benchmark.sh or the-big-benchmark.bat depending on OS. Wait for about 1 hour, then - if it's not done yet - you are allowed to quit the process by entering "quit" on the game console. The results will be saved in data/the-big-benchmark.log. Upload this file, and analyze it and enter the values here!

(... continued on the page, read it)

well i don't see a misc folder at all so also i am in Linux mint.

(08-27-2012, 03:40 PM)kidx Wrote: well i don't see a misc folder at all so also i am in Linux mint.

It's a little difficult to follow what you're saying here. First you say that it doesn't run, then you say you can't find it and now that you can't find the misc directory.

Are you an experienced Linux user? If not this may be some difficult stuff to attempt.

Where did you get Xonotic from? Is it the 0.6 version or the rysnc version? Where is Xonotic installed on your system? The misc directory is within it, you should be able to find your way from there.

To come back to the performance issue here, how does Xonotic perform? Is it playable? What settings are you running? To get some detailed feedback you'd need to benchmark it but maybe you can already look at some simple things like which graphics drivers you are running?

I downloaded the version 0.6 from synaptic package manager why is this a problem do i have to download the zip file i might have to download it from the site again also as i said Nexuiz is made to run better i don't know why but i cant chage any settings with out it closing to desktop ill get the zip version.

I don't know what you're saying about nexuiz anyway what do you mean about the settings thing does it mean settings are only applied when you close xonotic and reopen it or do you mean something else i think that synaptic package you got might be broken in some way but i don't know anyone else using it to confirm that i really think you should use punctuation because it will save your life one day but yes get the zip from the website please we know this one runs fine on most unbroken systems.

ok ... going from blind here ...

if you are experiencing bad framerates ....

lower your screen resolution ... as you said this crashes it ... thats because your package thing is running the glx version of xonotic ... the zip download should have both the sdl and the glx

effects wise ... the performance killers are

bloom
relief mapping
normal maps
motion blur
and dynamic lighting shadows (on maps that abuse it ... like redplanet)

No i cannot tweak any thing or xonotic closes right away also here is my link to my benchmark settings.

http://codepad.org/jAez2MvC

Might be related to fullscreen. Set the right resolution or disable fullscreen.

Also here is my link to my benchmark settings I can say my pc overheats when playing Xonotic due to not being able to cool down anything on Linux all the programs i was given only monitor stuff..

http://codepad.org/jAez2MvC

The version from the repo usually created 2 links to the game in the system menu, the glx and the sdl version - just run the sdl version.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(08-28-2012, 12:25 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: The version from the repo usually created 2 links to the game in the system menu, the glx and the sdl version - just run the sdl version.

I found it all i did was extract the game i downloaded it as zip and extracted it it runs pro no problems now thanks for the help guys one last qustion how do i set my game to competitive using picmip to simplify your view? Also making some Linux videos using Kdenlive so yeah thanks for a great game the only bad thing is there is not really a good cooling software like Speedfan on Linux.

So it was a broken Xonotic version from Synaptic perhaps? Picmip is controlled by the texture quality slider in the options menu. Just reduce the slider and apply.

Please in future follow Mr Bougo's previous guidance on using proper sentences. It's really hard to follow what you are saying, especially when each post seems to be a totally unrelated stream of words from the previous post. Thanks.

(08-28-2012, 03:19 AM)edh Wrote: So it was a broken Xonotic version from Synaptic perhaps? Picmip is controlled by the texture quality slider in the options menu. Just reduce the slider and apply.

Please in future follow Mr Bougo's previous guidance on using proper sentences. It's really hard to follow what you are saying, especially when each post seems to be a totally unrelated stream of words from the previous post. Thanks.

I am not perfect on grammar so thats gona be kinda hard I rather speak than freaking type so please don't nit pick at me cause i am not pro.

(08-28-2012, 03:48 AM)kidx Wrote: I am not perfect on grammar so thats gona be kinda hard I rather speak than freaking type so please don't nit pick at me cause i am not pro.

Sorry, I don't buy that. It's about effort, not about knowledge. You can read what we're saying and likewise you can read a book, newspaper, magazine, manual or anything else and see examples of sentences. It helps other people read and understand the words that are written.

You have successfully installed a Linux distribution and joined this forum. Clearly grammer is not out of your reach for you to have achieved these tasks. Failing to use grammar is a sign of lack of effort on your part. It makes reading what you have written much harder for others and is therefore bad manners.

So again, please use proper sentences in future and make things easier for anyone offering to help you.

Quote:only bad thing is there is not really a good cooling software like Speedfan on Linux.

I never heard of any software that could improve cooling. Speedfan is used to actually make cooling worse in order to make the fans silent. If you want better coolong then just replace the cooler on your hardware - there are loads of high efficiency coolers for cpus and gpus available to buy out there.*

*not for laptops ;-D

(08-28-2012, 07:31 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Speedfan is used to actually make cooling worse in order to make the fans silent.

Technically when you spin down fans you generally make cooling efficiency higher as you get a better cooling effect per rpm due to lower turbulence at the lower speed. Cool Cooling effect would however be lower. You can also use Speedfan to control clock generators. Power usage is roughly proportional to the speed so you can cut power draw and therefore heat output. Whilst modern processors already have different power states, this just allows you to take it further with manual control. YMMV based upon what motherboard you may have.

However the best approach to improving cooling for the overwhelming majority of systems is undervolting. Power draw is roughly proportional to the square of voltage, hence you can slash temperatures with only a small change in vcore. You would lose overclocking headroom in most cases but generally this is not significant and overclocking is a minority activity. Actually by cutting the power draw per clock you could then boost your clock and stay within the same TDP, just in case you are worried about burning out through overclocking.

I won't argue, I'm not interested in overclocking that much. Usually when I have overheating problems I just clean the radiators or buy better cooling :-). Though I wish my 12cm fans would spin as fast as the 6cm ones ;-).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [BUG] some textures won't load with git builds lister 2 2,472 01-17-2020, 06:09 PM
Last Post: LuckyStripe
  [NEED HELP] cl_gunalign doesn't seem to work on some servers/maps Aguaumreal 2 2,522 09-10-2019, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Aguaumreal
  [SOLVED] Map has some black things(?) Brot 3 3,186 10-29-2015, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Brot
  [SOLVED] Running Xonotic on Linux Mint 666 5 6,769 09-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  [BUG] Having some serious issues here Lee_Stricklin 8 8,967 01-24-2015, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [NEEDS INFO] Apparently this game hates Xonar cards running under Windows 8 Lee_Stricklin 4 5,453 09-20-2014, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SOLVED] Ubuntu running problem rembak 7 10,113 03-29-2014, 04:30 AM
Last Post: adem
  [NEEDS INFO] Running Xonotic in linux for the first time KroniK 3 8,454 08-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Last Post: JayWalker
  [NEEDS INFO] 5.1 support and other issues with running under Windows 8 Lee_Stricklin 10 11,933 06-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [NEEDS INFO] Some maps wont download through the client. end user 7 9,662 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Last Post: end user