Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing Player Badges

oooh ... id is in the url ....

I was looking all over the stat page for it Tongue

I like the idea of player badges, and the concept is conducted very well.

BUT the target of 8 out of 10 posts having this thing which you are aiming for (and with reasonable success, congratulations!) makes me a bit afraid, since it's a reasonably big image that uses intrusive coloring after all. In some threads I already get the feeling I'm being slapped into the face with (nice looking, but nevertheless) player badges all along.

Of course I could just disable signatures, but raising the motivation to disable signatures is probably not what's intended by the player badges in the first place.

So I'd encourage you (zykure, Antibody, whoever wants to go through the trouble) to compress the default player badge to a level where it is more restrained, backgroundish. The badge should, imho, not push itself into the center of attention, but rather accompany the post so the posted content receives the deserved attention, if any.

Things I'd recommend is to compress the height, use less bright colors, aim at making it a background "btw this is me" kind of info for the player instead of aiming at making it look like WHOA WHAT AN AWESOME BADGE.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

If Zykure introduces a compact plaintext-looking theme whith alpha background, you can always use a greasemonkey / scriptish script to substitute all sigs with that one. That way it will be hardly intrusive at all.

If such a theme is provided, I plan on writing such a script.

(08-29-2012, 04:57 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: If Zykure introduces a compact plaintext-looking theme whith alpha background, you can always use a greasemonkey / scriptish script to substitute all sigs with that one. That way it will be hardly intrusive at all.

If such a theme is provided, I plan on writing such a script.

That sounds like an awesome idea. I talked to Antibody about supporting more themes which could be served on Xonstat in parallel. That way users can choose a style they like, and your script could replace badges with the "minimal" one if wanted.

Btw, player badges are now updated only if the player was active in the last couple of hours (currently: 6h). Therefore hosting 2 or 3 badges shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Also: Is this plaintext-looking enough for you? Or should I change it somewhat?
[Image: vZjl2YQ]

If things work out (and Antibody approves Wink), the minimal theme will be introduced shortly (in addition to the normal badges).
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

Update: Among finally fixing the win/loss calculation (yay! Big Grin) and some other tweaks, I also did some work on the two themes (which I call "classic" and "minimal"):

Classic (560x70 px):
[Image: vZmE2eg]

Minimal (560x40 px):
[Image: vZmE3MQ]

These themes now each use a background and an overlay image, which are both included in the Git repository. For anyone who has some design ideas in mind - you can now just work something out and send me the .xcf file Smile

NOTE: These images are based on an old DB dump, so the shown values do not match the current ones on Xonstat.

Excellent. The minimalist version approaches likeability level even if used by many people.

I would still use less bright kill ration and win percentage colors, otherwise perfect imho.
My Xonstats Profile

Completely agree with Halogene. I like the minimalist design. I also like the fact that the 'no stats' message is horizontal instead of diagonal.

(08-29-2012, 05:02 AM)zykure Wrote: Also: Is this plaintext-looking enough for you? Or should I change it somewhat?
[Image: vZjl2YQ]

If things work out (and Antibody approves Wink), the minimal theme will be introduced shortly (in addition to the normal badges).

This is too bold, large* and overall flashy compared to what I had in mind. I was thinking of something monochromatic (save maybe for the player name), small, compact and organized (perhaps with a monospaced font if that makes it more practical) in a way that presents the information without catching the eye. I guess what annoys me the most there is that the most redundant information (i.e. the player nick) is also the largest and most colorful, it's distracting.
*EDIT: I don't know what I had in mind when I wrote "large", it isn't large Tongue

Yes, good point MrBougo. Player name could be somewhat smaller, though I prefer it in original colors. Other colors are already less strong in the latest draft, if you look at the minimal theme example for fisume in zykure's later post. But I could imagine two or three shades of grey would do for the rest of the information. I agree that it should provide background information only and not try to catch the eye.

I think the colors are very well composed overall, just the purpose of providing background information should be kept in mind.
My Xonstats Profile

(08-29-2012, 11:14 AM)Halogene Wrote: Yes, good point MrBougo. Player name could be somewhat smaller, though I prefer it in original colors.

But I could imagine two or three shades of grey would do for the rest of the information.

Resized playernick from 20pt to 16pt by default (still auto-scaled if it is too wide); adjusted some colors; and made win% and k/d a bit smaller. Is this closer to what you two have in mind?

[Image: vZmE4aQ]

(08-29-2012, 11:33 AM)zykure Wrote: Resized playernick from 20pt to 16pt by default (still auto-scaled if it is too wide); adjusted some colors; and made win% and k/d a bit smaller. Is this closer to what you two have in mind?

[Image: vZmE4aQ]

That's pretty swell! The gametypes are a little hard to read for me though, and I think my monitor's gamma calibration isn't too bad.
EDIT: Could you generate it for Antibody's stats to get a fair comparison?

YES YES I WANT THAT ONE

very nice! Nothing to improve any more from my point of view!

How can I get that one now? Big Grin
My Xonstats Profile

Very nice indeed. Smile

(08-29-2012, 11:59 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: EDIT: Could you generate it for Antibody's stats to get a fair comparison?
Sure! I tried to put some variety in my samples just for fun, and not show the same badge over and over again. But see below for a sample of Antibody's badge Smile

(08-29-2012, 01:40 PM)Halogene Wrote: How can I get that one now? Big Grin
I guess you have to wait for Antibody to merge my commits and run the next update. Once that is through, you can access your "minimal" badge at http://stats.xonotic.org/static/badges/minimal/###.png.

More samples (I'll post some more until someone yells "STOP" Wink):

[Image: vZmFjOA]

[Image: vZmFjeQ]

[Image: vZmFkOA]

[Image: 9329.png]

[Image: 9327.png]

Here's a userscript that works for me. Use with Scriptish (or GreaseMonkey, but Scriptish is better) in Firefox, or Tampermonkey in Chromium.

It obviously does not work yet because minimal badges aren't available right now.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/142535

EDIT: zykure, I like the darker minimal one better, except for the fact that gamemodes are hard to read. Wat do? Maybe use a light color, yet darker than the data that follows?

This is pretty epic. I also think the minimal design would look better when spammed in everybody's signature.
[Image: 769.png]

well i was working on these earlier because i wasn't aware of zekure's work.

[Image: mDEAg.png]

[Image: aBRXO.png]

I don't think it's really as good as his but i think it's at least a nice minimal one.
The lack of color will make it feel less horrible when every single forum post ends with one.

also the fuzzy font rendering is because of inkscape.

also those are actually kojin's stats
>_<

The Win % looks fine now btw! At least my badge seems to be correct now. Big Grin

how do u use xolonium as font?
EDIT: nvm again
[Image: 10253.png]

Aligning of the elo values is still a bit off, but looks very nice indeed!

Oh, and my win percentage went down again from yesterday, though I didn't play o.O

* Halogene shrugs
My Xonstats Profile

(08-30-2012, 12:07 AM)s1lencer Wrote: well i was working on these earlier because i wasn't aware of zekure's work.

Hey, that looks really nice! Like I said, I'm open for suggestions on how to improve the design. What do the others think about this? I would like to have either playing time or K/D ratio in the badge, in addition to win%, so one of these is missing in your design imho. What I really like is putting the gray bar on top, behind the playername - *but* it could lead to problems with nicks that use gray-ish colors (like mine) Smile

(08-30-2012, 12:23 AM)Mirio Wrote: The Win % looks fine now btw! At least my badge seems to be correct now. Big Grin
Wow, *finally* you stopped complaining! Tongue

(08-30-2012, 03:40 AM)Halogene Wrote: Aligning of the elo values is still a bit off, but looks very nice indeed!

Oh, and my win percentage went down again from yesterday, though I didn't play o.O
Yes, I need to work on the alignment (or use something different) ... both gametype and elo are now left-aligned, but obviously this isn't perfect. I'll think about something =)

And about the win% - one of my latest commits introduced a fix by Antibody for computing the wins and losses, so the current values should be correct.

Now that the minimal badges are available, here's my script uploaded to userscripts.org Big Grin
Thank you for this, zykure.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/142535

Hey all, I've updated the code to generate both the classic and minimal badges. Classic badges are available at http://stats.xonotic.org/static/badges/[YOUR PLAYER ID].png and minimal badges are available at http://stats.xonotic.org/static/badges/minimal/[YOUR PLAYER ID].png.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Hey, I took some ideas from s1lencer's badge concept and improved both themes a bit (at least I think I did Wink). Have a look:

[Image: 9336.png]

[Image: 9335.png]

Note that the minimal skin now uses even less bright colors. Also the gametypes are now aligned differently, i.e. if less than three gametypes are available (meaning that you've got elo/rank), the available ones are moved to the center. If no game stats are available at all (and only then), the "no stats yet!" text is printed instead.

EDIT 1: Improved the gametype display in the minimal skin a bit.
EDIT 2: I also fixed the display of some characters in the playernick, which e.g. applies to my nick (look at the alignment of | and : in my badge below). So in case anyone was wondering, it should be fixed by one of the next badge updates =)

At this point zykure and I have worked out the issues with the incremental updates. This means that you'll get your new badge only after playing a new game (no need to generate a new badge when your stats haven't changed, right?). I'll be updating the code to the latest in a few hours. Enjoy!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing ulp (eventlog parser) dyin 7 10,144 02-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Rage_ATWM