Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Useful Info: How to ask questions the smart way

Information 
Here's a fairly old time essay on how to ask for help on computer issues, where to post, what information to give, what etiquette to use. This may be useful in getting the best answer to queries you have on Xonotic:

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Sticky or add the link to another sticky topic perhaps?
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Someone should make a video of this! Big Grin

I'd rather just ask people to use common sense (or make an effort at least). While I agree with its contents, this document is way too long and serious for this context IMHO.

I'll still sticky it, but I don't expect anyone to read it Tongue

Also, calling anyone an idiot in the first paragraph when you're talking about netiquette makes me a bit skeptical about the rest of the document. Tongue
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Wow that guy really wears his head below his belt.

You have to understand the context. In mailing lists, it's ok to insult your inferiors. That's how it is, and don't question it you #@?!ing *&@#.

Context? People who think they are ubersmart but yet are stuck in a crappy code monkey/sys admin function try to cure their frustrations and insecurity by building a scenario of outgroup discrimination which enhances their self-esteem on the costs of others.

That's pretty much where I was trying to go with my unapparent cynicism.

EDIT: Although, AFAIK, esr is kind of a big name in the FLOSS world. He must have seen his fair share of annoying users which made him rather cold.

Had a bit of a rethink about this, maybe something needed in companion to this would be How to Win Friend and Influence People:

Quote:Fundamental Techniques in Handling People
Don't criticize, condemn, or complain.
Give honest and sincere appreciation.
Arouse in the other person an eager want.

Six Ways to Make People Like You
Become genuinely interested in other people.
Smile.
Remember that a person's name is, to that person, the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
Talk in terms of the other person's interest.
Make the other person feel important – and do it sincerely.

Twelve Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking
The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
Show respect for the other person's opinions. Never say "You're Wrong."
If you're wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
Begin in a friendly way.
Start with questions to which the other person will answer yes.
Let the other person do a great deal of the talking.
Let the other person feel the idea is his or hers.
Try honestly to see things from the other person's point of view.
Be sympathetic with the other person's ideas and desires.
Appeal to the nobler motives.
Dramatize your ideas.
Throw down a challenge.

Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing Resentment
Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
Call attention to people's mistakes indirectly.
Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
Let the other person save face.
Praise every improvement.
Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
Make the other person happy about doing what you suggest.

Softskills are if anything more missing from the Internet than hardskills and I would think that the authors of How to Ask Questions the Smart Way should have a think about it too...

Doesn't that belong in WW?

Define "that" ?

That kind of checklist one would rather expect at yahoo answers..
If you disagree please explain which theory the "The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it." is grounded on for example. Or why "Dramatize your ideas." should be a good thing in a sane discussion.

(09-17-2012, 03:45 AM)asyyy Wrote: If you disagree please explain which theory the "The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it." is grounded on for example.

If you want something, it's better to persuade someone rather than arguing with them. Persuasion doesn't require anyone to get angry. If you know that someone else has a different viewpoint and isn't going to change then don't bother getting into an arguement with them because it will be futile.

Quote: If you know that someone else has a different viewpoint and isn't going to change then don't bother getting into an arguement with them because it will be futile.
But what if they are right? Or more realistically, they have some valid points and so do you. Even if you don't manage to persuade the other party an argument still does have its use as it can bring up new information, new viewpoints or even clear up misunderstandings (you think you know their viewpoint, but what if you are wrong about that?).

(09-17-2012, 06:30 AM)asyyy Wrote: But what if they are right? Or more realistically, they have some valid points and so do you. Even if you don't manage to persuade the other party an argument still does have its use as it can bring up new information, new viewpoints or even clear up misunderstandings (you think you know their viewpoint, but what if you are wrong about that?).

There's still no reason to argue then. Instead take the counsellor approach and ask questions to better understand their viewpoint. This will find everything that an argument will find and more and you're more likely to be friends with them at the end of it which helps in future.

If you don't bring up arguments, the other party can't react on them. Asking questions to inform yourself about the viewpoints of others is only one step in the process of arguing. I don't see what is wrong with having an argument, as long as it is about the subject in question and doesn't get personal.

It would be ironic for me to argue with you. ;-)

You have your view point.

Hmm, thanks for sharing edh, personally I've already read it, and many other of his guides, but it's great for people who don't know about esr's great guides.

and...
(08-29-2012, 06:37 AM)asyyy Wrote: Context? People who think they are ubersmart but yet are stuck in a crappy code monkey/sys admin function try to cure their frustrations and insecurity by building a scenario of outgroup discrimination which enhances their self-esteem on the costs of others.

He is "ubersmart", I don't understand the rest though....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Shocked [NEED HELP] Helps for a right way to create a xon server and/or create concise guides derrant 6 2,493 03-31-2021, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SOLVED] Best way to play on virtual LAN simbian 8 7,001 02-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Last Post: tZork
Video [NEEDS INFO] Thinking about making a machinima, a few questions... chipgw 5 4,723 11-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chipgw
Tongue [NEEDS INFO] Emily's Dedicated Thread For Questions and Help Seek. emilydale1993 6 6,710 03-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Last Post: edh
  [DISCUSSION] Model-based terrain: Two questions Minkovsky 3 4,574 12-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  How to ask for help with Xonotic Dokujisan 0 5,124 03-18-2010, 01:57 AM
Last Post: Dokujisan