Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nexuiz 2.3 maps question?

kidx: Please can you explain what happened when you used zip from the command line, in particular what happened when you tried the example that I listed previously: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...5#pid48955

I wouldn't bother with pakscape, a pk3 or a pak is JUST a zip file with a different extension. There is plenty of help available on using ZIP or 7-zip online, please use Google.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

7z a -tzip zzz_wbgs.pk3 models/ ctf/

The a is a 7zip command for "add", -t determines the type of archive (so -tzip is a zip archive), then it's followed by the path to the archive then the files and directories to add to it. If the archive doesn't exist yet, it's created.

Also, yes, please use your favorite search engine.

I was not looking for a search eninge, only your example will do thanks alot you guys rock.

No, the point of that remark was to get you to search for yourself on the web using google or whatever, instead of using this thread as a question dump. We're not paid to help you and we could just choose not to, so please try to see if you can do things on your own before asking. You could simply search in your distro's packages for an archive manager instead of asking here, for example.

wow next time i wont bother to ask anyways.

(10-18-2012, 08:22 AM)kidx Wrote: wow next time i wont bother to ask anyways.

We took the time to try and help you. We even carried on trying to help you when you didn't follow our instructions or gave confusing, rambling strings of words devoid of punctuation instead of concise answers to questions posed. We're also still trying to help you get your server working properly.

You then return to an old thread that has been dead for over a month and drop this message. You didn't NEED to post it, you could have just posted nothing and not bothered us again. That would have been mutually beneficial but instead you think you can have a dig. Do you honestly think that we are going to bother trying to help you again if this is what you do?

(10-18-2012, 08:22 AM)kidx Wrote: wow next time i wont bother to ask anyways.

Thank you for your understanding.

(09-04-2012, 03:48 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I'm seriously considering issuing warnings for posts like this. It's not only the grammar that makes it unreadable, it's the vague content too. Make a detailed list describing what the problem is in short sentences.
<rant>
I registered here to say this:
There is a significant amount of dyslexic people on the Internet. Dyslexia comes in various forms, from mild to strong, and people I've encountered who type like this sometimes provide strong dyslexia as a reason. Others may just be too embarrassed to admit it, fearing a sort of stigma. People with dyslexia still have as much intellectual potential as the next guy, some of them just may not present this in the way that they type.

Another thing, the Internet is full of people from all over the world, many of whom have English as a second language. I come under this category, but as you can probably sense, I've had the wonderful opportunity to learn English in parallel to Afrikaans. Not many other people have that. I'm also lucky since Afrikaans uses Latin script and uses punctuation in similar ways.

The third variety I've encountered is people typing in a kind of 'shorthand' that they develop, because they cannot touchtype. Blame QWERTY for being so inefficient.

I wish for people to be more tolerant to people who type with illegible grammar. Don't judge them based on it. I've made that mistake before, it ended badly. Everyone has a story, everyone has a reason for resisting "good grammar" (who defines good grammar anyway, if language always evolves?). Maybe they just never learned to use commas at school. Heck, maybe they are 10 or something. If you really want to say something bad, don't - just passively ignore them, and let someone else reply to them. Hate scares people away.

I can see that you tried to help kidx, and he didn't answer all your troubleshooting questions, which caused you frustration, quite rightly. I'm in no position to condemn you for getting frustrated at an uncooperative, overly dependant person like that. My point is, kidx encountered hate from the start of the thread, for his grammar specifically, where he shouldn't have been judged on. I see this kind of Grammar Nazism in a lot of places. And I haven't ranted about it yet.
</rant>

I'll probably use my account for more noble purposes after this, I'm not usually all ranty about things Smile

Thank you very much for your opinion. Please do look back further at the posts from kidx, not just this one. There is a pattern and do tell me if you really wouldn't get just slightly annoyed by it.

To address a few points:
Dyslexia - If one was dyslexic, how would it possibly make it any easier to read such text? It wouldn't. If indeed there is anyone who has a form of dyslexia which causes long streams of words not to be punctuated, is it not selfish to not think of anyone else who might be reading it and their potential disability?

Language barriers - Most of this community doesn't speak English as a first language. All European languages use pretty similar rules for punctuation. As it happens we know that kidx is from Canada and statistically is therefore around 73% likely to have English as a first language and 23% likely to have French as a first language. I believe English is his first language as when pushed on the issue before has simply professed to be "not pro at grammar", not stating any foreign language barrier. It makes it much harder for anyone else to read, especially for those for whom English is not the first language. It is therefore lazy and rude.

QWERTY - Qwerty, Azerty et al layouts were not designed to make typing fast, they were designed to slow it down to reduce errors. It is no excuse.

Even if you don't use grammar, at least you might chose to put words on the same topic in the same line of text. This is what has made helping him so impossible. We give him points for troubleshooting, we get some baffling string of words back which don't seem to be about any one thing or even relate to the troubleshooting points given before or the previous facts given.

Read through all of his posts in every thread and do tell me if you don't end up going just a little bit mad. I don't do mad, it's not my style, but it certainly doesn't help us helping him.

(10-20-2012, 11:56 AM)BurritoBazooka Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 03:48 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I'm seriously considering issuing warnings for posts like this. It's not only the grammar that makes it unreadable, it's the vague content too. Make a detailed list describing what the problem is in short sentences.
<rant>
I registered here to say this:
There is a significant amount of dyslexic people on the Internet. Dyslexia comes in various forms, from mild to strong, and people I've encountered who type like this sometimes provide strong dyslexia as a reason. Others may just be too embarrassed to admit it, fearing a sort of stigma. People with dyslexia still have as much intellectual potential as the next guy, some of them just may not present this in the way that they type.

Another thing, the Internet is full of people from all over the world, many of whom have English as a second language. I come under this category, but as you can probably sense, I've had the wonderful opportunity to learn English in parallel to Afrikaans. Not many other people have that. I'm also lucky since Afrikaans uses Latin script and uses punctuation in similar ways.

The third variety I've encountered is people typing in a kind of 'shorthand' that they develop, because they cannot touchtype. Blame QWERTY for being so inefficient.

I wish for people to be more tolerant to people who type with illegible grammar. Don't judge them based on it. I've made that mistake before, it ended badly. Everyone has a story, everyone has a reason for resisting "good grammar" (who defines good grammar anyway, if language always evolves?). Maybe they just never learned to use commas at school. Heck, maybe they are 10 or something. If you really want to say something bad, don't - just passively ignore them, and let someone else reply to them. Hate scares people away.

I can see that you tried to help kidx, and he didn't answer all your troubleshooting questions, which caused you frustration, quite rightly. I'm in no position to condemn you for getting frustrated at an uncooperative, overly dependant person like that. My point is, kidx encountered hate from the start of the thread, for his grammar specifically, where he shouldn't have been judged on. I see this kind of Grammar Nazism in a lot of places. And I haven't ranted about it yet.
</rant>

I'll probably use my account for more noble purposes after this, I'm not usually all ranty about things Smile

Thank you for your input. I try to be as inclusive and accepting as possible and have respect for people's disabilities, and the thought of this issue at hand being caused by a disability did cross my mind at one point. But with time I found that he just sits on the fact that he is bad at grammar without showing any will to change that. So I'm not going to be "nice" under the assumption that there might be an underlying problem that he has no control over. If it is the case here and he wants to give me a better understanding of the problem, he is always welcome to communicate with me in private and we can sort it out.

But treating people differently based on assumptions on their private life is something that I really, really don't want to do.

I'm also not correcting him for the sake of correction, which is the meaning I associate to "grammar nazism"; so I think what you call "grammar nazism" in this case is justified. His posts are hardly legible at times and it makes it difficult for us to help him. Notice that I've only picked on his lacking punctuation, as punctuation is essential in written communication and is really the point that makes his posts hard to digest.

I don't really have anything to add to what has been said already, but I just realized I played with you on the CTS server some days ago BurritoBazooka. Welcome to the forums.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

... some of us overuse punctuation ...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chat color question Molnija 0 2,330 11-14-2018, 02:26 AM
Last Post: Molnija
  Quick question ... devnexen 4 4,235 04-15-2018, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Kim Jong-Ben
  Where can I find the self animated weapons from Nexuiz? MirceaKitsune 14 16,710 11-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  Question and Rant on the LG and MG changes. GegoXAREN 5 5,576 11-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Last Post: hutty
Photo XPM Question? kidx 4 4,951 09-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Last Post: kidx
  Weapon Settings Question? kidx 22 17,853 08-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  A question of getting started with Quakec timetopat 5 7,545 07-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Last Post: timetopat
  Mac OS X, NSGL (Cocoa) based port of Nexuiz Ender 11 21,232 06-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Last Post: merlijn
  Xonotic's Direction? What do we have to do Learning from nexuiz's mistakes. kojn^ 67 77,938 06-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  After an git update, all Nexuiz server can't be used. liberty 17 17,372 04-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Last Post: nox