Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hi from Lebbra!

Hi folks, I found this game on a linux forum and it seems very nice.
I just have an important question: are cheats diffused on this game?

Please do not consider this question as trolling; simply I come from another FPS where cheats are a plague that ruins the game, so I would like to know how is the situation on xonotic servers and if it is protected by something like punkbuster.

tnx.

Hi!

We've seen a few cheats in minsta games. This gamemode only uses the nex, a sniper weapon that hits instantly (hitscan), which explains why aimbotters choose to play that mode. Otherwise, I'm not aware of any other cheat, and even aimbots aren't very widespread from my experience.

There are very few ways to cheat as the movement and shooting is managed serverside, so clients can't directly interfere with it. Wallhacks can't be efficient because not everything is shown to the client: on properly made maps the server knows which players to show to the client based on its field of view (or rather, its location).

There was a possibility for cheating the movement code to do perfect strafing, but there's a detector for this in the server code.

In short, you shouldn't worry too much about cheaters. If you do spot one, make sure to note the name, time and place and contact the server admin (or this forum if you don't find contact info).

Welcome!

Mr.Bougo explained the situation about cheaters already very precisely. I, for myself, didn´t met any cheater in Xonotic so far.

Hello! Smile

With the way that screenshots and demos get shared around it would be pretty hard for someone to get away with cheating for long once someone notices. Plus in any of the tournaments that happen there are always screenshots and demos uploaded. If someone was to for example tweak the graphics to make it too easy to shoot people, this would be picked out from the results screenshots very easily and they'd be disqualified. It's so easy for this to be picked up anyone who tried it would be stupid just to think they could get away with it.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Howdy. Welcome to Xonotic. Smile

hi' ...

havn't seen any cheaters yet ../

I do know of a few people that change the mortar trails to be brig orange polka dots instead of standard smoke ... but that like the cheating legal grey area ...

Oh right, I forgot about texture/effect cheats. Can't do much about that yet. There was an experimental system to detect that a while ago in a few unofficial Nexuiz servers, maybe we'll have something in the future? It worked kind of right, so who knows...

Welcome to Xonotic!