Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Movement tutorial ingame

Thinking especially about begginers.

Well I hope the thread title says it all. I decided to make a tutorial map for Xonotic movement training (and probably shooting?) as in quake live. But I need your help and feedback:

Is it a good idea?
How many rooms do we need (how many aspects of training)?
Has anyone before me posted such map, if yes: who and what?

The video showing how it looks in game: Level 2 - ramp jumping.

1 room will be probably jumping, second: ramping, third - both and laser jumping

And few screenshots:

[Image: xonotic20120905231539-00.jpg]

[Image: xonotic20120905231531-00.jpg]

I was thinkig about adding some moving platforms and effects. Post your ideas here. Also visuals have to be perfect (I want it to be representative)
And I don't want this to be just another unfinished project (as many in Xonotic) so I look forward to help of other mappers too. If anyone wants to get involved: Just PM me.

I was thinking about making one of these at some point ... but I have been too busy lately ...

It might be worth it to make a contest to see who can come up with the best ideas ...

but ... besides that ... your map is looking pretty nice so far ...

make sure to show off the warpzones in ways that will make portal fans proud ...

There was such a thing in nexuiz 2.5.2. Problem is that it breaks as soon as balance or weapons are changed, and that happens on pretty much every release or so.

wow ... replied at same time :3 ...

actually what part of balance changes broke the nexuiz one? ... it should still play just fine ... (but it is ugly)

Well, Bougo: Some things does not change. I updated first post: Any professional mapping help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know about that :X

the nexuiz one (if you didn't know allready)

-- was ugly
-- had audio of someone talking about what to do
-- had a special bot behind glass to make it look like you were being supervised
-- has a bounce
-- had some lava
-- had the player hit buttons with some of the weapons (RL electro ...)
-- at the end you use the rifle -- shoot through the glass -- and kill the instructer Tongue

anything else that other people made was never finished ...

--

i'm thinking that we need some aperature ish cool ness ...
maybe instead of a person talking ... who goes on ... and on ... and on ...
we could have a big sign that states what each weapon does ...
then have a BREAK THE TARGETS (smach bros mele style) for each weapon ...

and porto lauch puzzles ... :3

wait ... better idea ... you announce the project ... and all mappers can make challange rooms ...
kind of a collaboration project...

dibs on hlac...

(09-05-2012, 09:24 PM)hutty Wrote: wait ... better idea ... you announce the project ... and all mappers can make challange rooms ...
kind of a collaboration project...

That would need a lot of coordination between the mappers to avoid redundancy and style inconsistencies :X

It's really great idea. Now You need to search a lot of things by you own or ask anothers in the game.
Finishing singleplayer is imposible without watching some video like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqk9eMo2TD4

It'll be great to see:
→some weapons tutorial like in nexuiz
→basic movement- straight corridor and you have x sec too run throu so you need bunnyhoping. checkpoint and some laser jumping up and over some holes without clock.
→few normal games
→some /\/\/\/ to learn turning when bunnyhoping
after this race levels should be easy

aah ... the race level ...
did you know ... in the current release ... they made the time limit a couple seconds longer ? ...
that level used to be much harder (i think the video is the old version)

actually though ... I learned a lot while looking at vids on how to beat the race

Nice, tutorial is necessary to make noobs realize Xonotic is not quake reskin.

(btw. does porto predate portal game?)

(09-06-2012, 05:11 PM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: (btw. does porto predate portal game?)

No, it doesn't. It was made when Portal was the game of the moment.

With all due respect: Please remove your post, aa.

do you want me to make some big signs that explain ramp jumping and such ?

btw ... I like the visual style of these tutorial rooms

I really like the theme, Justin, and I like the fact that you have to enter different rooms to learn different things.

I can help do some signs if you want. I feel that my grammar is decent enough. Big Grin

Great job, might make the teles a bit more obvious, if that haven't already been mentioned...

How do we localize signs if they're going to be on textures?

picturize it? ... how do they localize the signs in portal ? ...
I see how that could be an issue ... but how would you get around it? ...
unless we make some text object ... that displays text from a file ...
or make the signs in svg so they can be edited easily ...

challenge accepted :3

(09-12-2012, 10:54 PM)hutty Wrote: challenge accepted :3

Uh... Wha?

(09-12-2012, 10:54 PM)hutty Wrote: picturize it? ... how do they localize the signs in portal ? ...
I see how that could be an issue ... but how would you get around it? ...
unless we make some text object ... that displays text from a file ...
or make the signs in svg so they can be edited easily ...

challenge accepted :3

I can feel something big.... Go go, Hutty!

Quote:I can feel something big

That's what she said... Tongue

Hey Hutty, when you figure out how to make the signs, I can write some stuff and help you structure the text. Also, making them funny just like in Portal is a must! We could also get some of 'Simple items' people to create awesome logos that go with the signs. PM me. Smile

This is what I am going for ...

I know the style doesn't fit ... but this is just an example ...

.png   sign-0001.png (Size: 30.06 KB / Downloads: 101)

notice that its all pictorial ... no translation needed ...

All I can see is "if you jump longer you can reach farther", which is just common sense, no?

EDIT: NVM. Although the angles displayed seem odd to me :X

EDIT2: My post is useless, ignore it.

actually such a colorful and slightly humorous art style for the signs would fit imho :-)
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Hutty! Thats something productive you produced! Keep it up! Im working currently on level 1 which is: normal jumping and strafe jumping.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Single Player Tutorial Game(s) Space Ace 62 30,510 02-07-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: cushinga
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Nexiuz-like tutorial for beginners agvant1b0 1 2,411 05-19-2022, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Freddy
  [SUGGESTION] Movement + sound related suggestions Smilecythe 13 9,854 12-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Community Design Workshop: singleplayer weapons tutorial s1lence 4 7,598 07-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mirio
Information [SUGGESTION] Fix and update bot movement Dazerio 6 5,296 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Mepper
  [SUGGESTION] new movement possibility maiden 14 11,535 01-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Morphed
  [SUGGESTION] New movement type anark10n 31 32,228 06-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Last Post: W4RP1G
  [SUGGESTION] Tutorial maps Minkovsky 13 14,755 05-14-2012, 02:16 AM
Last Post: W4RP1G
  [SUGGESTION] Tutorial collection Lamoot 1 3,260 03-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Lamoot