Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] strange shading

Hello, i got a little problem here:

just take a look:

http://www.abload.de/img/starthydrq.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/endf2cw4.jpg

It happens since a few days, only on ubuntu 12.04 x64 nvidia gtx 460 driver 295.49
It is not reproducable, just after playing an hour or so. Does not happen on windows.

My gfx-card is fine, testet it with some tools and games. Doesn't overheat either. Huh
[Image: 11436.png] (PLAY/Drunk/Rudi_Aut ^^)

Seems to not load the lightmaps or loads them incorrectly. But I don´t know what exactly could cause this...

"It happens since a few days." What changed since then?

"Only on Ubuntu." Does that mean you tried other operating systems on the same computer?

(09-26-2012, 12:59 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: "It happens since a few days." What changed since then?

"Only on Ubuntu." Does that mean you tried other operating systems on the same computer?

* Spaceman is not being helpful
It could be Ubuntu's new Amazon adverts showing midgame. You need to buy things from Amazon, now.

^^ actually Xubuntu ^^ not using dash

I had this same issue with xonotic 0.5 (although without the time delay ) ... 0.6 seemed to have fixed it ... now its back ??

note :: im using mint (ubuntu derivative) ... ati card ... proprietary driver

Rudi, you did not answer my questions.

Hmm nothing changed no big updates, maybe something in The config, will Test that.
and yes as said using windows on the same machine too, but there I don't have that glitch.

That's really strange. Do you play other 3d games in linux? Do they have this problem?

yeah i play other games on linux, BlockoutII ^^
and from time to time doom3, quake1234, quakewars, starcraft2 and a lot of other stuff no problems there

SO I played a bit around with the config, so far that glitch disappeared Smile
It seems that turning off the shadow map in the effects tab doesn't work and results in that stuff. I guess I accidentally turned it off.
Maddin had the right guess! Thanks everyone.

There's still a problem though. You said it happens when you disable "the shadow map" (what is that?) in the effects tab and play for a while, then it suddenly appears? Does it happen on any map then?

If there's a possibility that this could be a bug, you really really should give as many details as you possibly can. So please do so!

Ok now it's reproducable, more or less, The option is called "use lightmaps" Shadowmap=lightmap more or less. Turn it off... (It doesn't seem to have any effect) Load several maps restart them a few times and then you have that visible glitch.

Turn "use lightmaps" on, apply and everything is back to normal.

Without a lightmap and without rt-light, the map should look fullbright, without any shading.

Can you try this in windows then? Perhaps the option was turned on already there.

That is no bug. If you turn off light-mapping, the engine uses vertex & grid light data instead, and this is much more coarse then light mapped data. There's no option that should make the world fullbright.

tZork, but why would it make no difference at first, then suddenly appear like in the screenshots above?

it needs vid_restart to 'take', or a map that haven't been loaded yet.

Sure, but what Rudi is saying is that, with this setting saved in his config, any time he starts the game will lead to this glitch after a few matches. No config changes involved, as far as I can tell.

I did not read it all. i just saw the screenys and this statement:

(09-27-2012, 08:18 AM)Rudi Wrote: Ok now it's reproducable, more or less, The option is called "use lightmaps" Shadowmap=lightmap more or less. Turn it off... (It doesn't seem to have any effect) Load several maps restart them a few times and then you have that visible glitch.

Turn "use lightmaps" on, apply and everything is back to normal.

Without a lightmap and without rt-light, the map should look fullbright, without any shading.

Witch is false, threes no option in Xonotic for that. Assuming this will already put you on the wrong track as to what to expect.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug [BUG] strange checker pattern in the middle of explosions on Windows 10 fabzor3 2 2,541 09-23-2020, 08:38 AM
Last Post: fabzor3
  [NEED HELP] Strange input lag and graphics lag in 0.8.2 mrdoklata 3 5,165 04-21-2017, 11:00 PM
Last Post: -z-
Sad [NEEDS INFO] Strange bug - my character is moving all the time ! Oncl'Tom 2 3,073 02-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Last Post: organic
  [NEEDS INFO] Very, very strange lags machine! 6 6,044 03-27-2015, 03:55 PM
Last Post: GoregeousGuy
  [SOLVED] Strange thing Keziolio 10 10,861 10-26-2014, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [NEEDS INFO] strange hook lag when connecting from special network bofh 3 3,919 04-15-2014, 10:45 AM
Last Post: tZork
  [SOLVED] Strange sensitivity changes Faraday 4 4,331 04-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Last Post: tZork
  [SOLVED] Very strange sound bug while on my server. neXus 8 7,085 04-19-2012, 06:45 AM
Last Post: neXus
  [NEEDS INFO] Third map doesn't show any textures or shading? On MacBook 2.1 C2D blickblocks 4 5,254 01-21-2012, 06:23 AM
Last Post: divVerent
  [SOLVED] [SOLVED] Strange moving lines rocknroll237 3 4,709 10-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin