Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Is there a way to configure Xonotic into the same entirety to that of Nexuiz?

I did not make a research like this guy, but I can tell that for me unlike Nexuiz, Xonotic is occasionally very laggy and fps droppy, even in some of the simpliest maps using the most simplified graphics. And the maps were working smoothly in Nexuiz with medium/high graphics.

This dilemma of mine happens mostly in maps that has very open and wide areas (lots of models/polygons visible at once, I get that), but I played for instance that one football arena at some minstahook ctf server and when fifth player joined the game, fps drops started to appear furiously even when the map has at best like 4 polygons and 2 football goal structures altogether. Below medium graphics, no matter how low I configure the settings it doesn't seem to make difference in performance.

My suggestion is basically a feature to downgrade the graphics and system requirements to same as Nexuiz. And even if I could somehow get rid of the fps drops with eliminating the visuals completely, I will probably end up yearning for the visuals that I was able to enjoy in Nexuiz. Idea sounds silly maybe because I don't quite honestly know a whole lot of the technical side or what kind of cons would this bring along.

On my old and shitty laptop with win XP i have both xonotic and nexuiz. Playing same maps at Nexuiz (extra low effects) -- about 100 fps, and Xonotic on medium --230 fps.
So my advice is: check forum for some configuration tips... There are TONS of useful gimmiks to make ur fps over 9000

Yes and I've been trying to configure for the best of my performance in futile for as far as I can remember. I want the game to run smoothly, but I don't want to get rid of all of the graphics. It seems to be easy to make the game to look like porridge, but while I do that the performance hardly changes at all. I just don't get it.

Copy config from Nexuiz to Xonotic and enjoy

(09-30-2012, 03:55 AM)Vargos Wrote: Copy config from Nexuiz to Xonotic and enjoy

No. Settings aren't the same, it's not as simple. Xonotic and Nexuiz are not the same game with different models and maps.

Often it´s the case that the used hardware (and/or software) doesn´t work together that well. That COULD be your problem.

Player models ...

the one of the biggest differences is xonotic has very high poly player models ...
and of course animated models are one of the things that the darkplaces engine gets hung up over ...

so ... switchout the xonotic models a nexuiz one and force opponets to match yours ...
or find a way to lower the player model poly count though lod or someting ...

(10-01-2012, 12:13 AM)hutty Wrote: so ... switchout the xonotic models a nexuiz one and force opponets to match yours

Except that's plain cheating for some.

(10-01-2012, 12:13 AM)hutty Wrote: or find a way to lower the player model poly count though lod or someting ...

That's what the cl_playerdetailreduction cvar does. It's set to 0 in Ultra and Ultimate, 0.5 in High, 1 in Normal and Medium, 2 in Low, 4 in OMG.

(10-01-2012, 12:55 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Except that's plain cheating for some.

So what about the ponies? Tongue

I'd also like to have that fat Nexuiz guy (I think he's called Mulder) as player model.
[Image: 2405.png]

The ponies are only playable if the server has them loaded. You don't have to fool the game to use them, the server authorizes you to use the model as any other model.

EDIT: Smilecythe, your title was too long and it prevented replies without changing post titles. I changed "Could there be" into "Is there" to fix that.

Well, you could always try the omg.cfg or pickup damn-small-xonotic, although it looks as though it's no longer being developed.

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1427

He said multiple times that he wants the game to look fine, as in, as close as possible to normal/high graphics.

Well in that case, he'll just have to wait until the game is optimised and things are properly handled by cpus/gpus.

That's the only way you can get more fps while keeping similar visuals. That said, I'll try and be helpful and provide you with a few things you can tweak:

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1788

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2173

Also, look in this sub-section of the forum:

http://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=19

I have similar problem. The framerate in Xonotic is low, while other gmaes Including Nexiuz have much higher fps.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Same for me. Maps like Xoylent and Afterslime are beautiful, but I prefer Farewell or the new In-Depth because I get 120FPS.
[Image: 2405.png]

What are the system and software specs here? Maybe we can look at something more specific by considering where this system may be bottlenecked?
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

afterslime doen't use any new "xonotic only" stuff ... you could run it just fine in nexuiz ... try using that for a speed comparison ...

(10-01-2012, 02:25 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: He said multiple times that he wants the game to look fine, as in, as close as possible to normal/high graphics.

This will cure his problem for sure: http://blogs.nvidia.com/2012/04/meet-gef...hics-card/

PS I'm not being any rude... Just i have Asus EEE and want run Xonotic on Ultimate too. Developers, optimize it for my needs, ffs =)

Please. That's not the way to address a concern about a large performance drop compared to Nexuiz. Compared to Nexuiz, Xonotic seems to perform poorly for him, and he wants to know why it happens and what can be done. Investing money in high-end graphics does not resolve the first issue and only temporarily fixes the second. Also, we're not supposed to require this sort of hardware.

(10-01-2012, 11:39 PM)Vargos Wrote:
(10-01-2012, 02:25 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: He said multiple times that he wants the game to look fine, as in, as close as possible to normal/high graphics.

This will cure his problem for sure: http://blogs.nvidia.com/2012/04/meet-gef...hics-card/

PS I'm not being any rude... Just i have Asus EEE and want run Xonotic on Ultimate too. Developers, optimize it for my needs, ffs =)

I looked at the link. The fps is still low.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

I think I have managed to get rid of the worst of FPS drops, but that's maybe because graphics are gone completely. I can't see projectiles clearly, I can't sometimes recognize a jump pad from the terrain, I can't see through portals and I can't see at all some of the surfaces that normally can be seen through a little. My resolution is smallest possible and people in long distance looks like mutilated pixels. Despite these minor disadvantages I have to deal with now, I still have huge FPS drops in some maps, eg. Aether (farewell remake), equinox, newtonian nightmare, pretty much all vechile ctf maps, afterslime and even Xoylent. It's starting to get frustrating and it's starting to feel like the only solution to my problem is just hit exit and open Nexuiz. I don't want to buy a new computer because games that I enjoy runs just fine. Well, besides Xonotic.

have you tried running afterslime in nexuiz yet?

we need to narrow down the issue here ....

also is your performance the same under sdl and glx?
are you running in windowed ... or fullscreen?
is netradiant open by any chance?
does the console say anything unusual ...
do you have desktop composting on? (windows aero glass ... mac ... umm .... well you cant turn that stuff off with a mac )

just some pointers that may ... or may not lead you anywhere ...

I'm not a technical genius so I'll narrow down things that I just didn't understand.

-I haven't been able to find the map file of Afterslime anywhere and I don't know how to run custom maps, lol.
-I don't know what sdl or glx means.

I'm running fullscreen, tried windowed and the results are the same.
Netradiant the mapping software? I don't have it.
Nothing unusual in the console.
All the pretty effects in desktop are disabled.

I noticed the map, Soylent from Nexuiz runs smoothly in Xonotic, even with medium/high graphics. So it's gotta have something to do with the details in Xonotic remake. FPS drops also appear on open wide areas that has lots of things fitting in the same screen (pretty much all space maps).

did you install xonotic from a package manager? ... or are you running the executable from the xonotic website?

Quote: Soylent from Nexuiz runs smoothly in Xonotic
ok ... this is good information ...

are there any maps with xonotic that run uncommonly well? (or very very badly)?

... to see the maps you have installed type maps in console
..to run a map (stormkeep) type map stormkeep in console ...

(11-22-2012, 06:32 PM)hutty Wrote: ..to run a map (stormkeep) type map stormkeep in console ...

No, use the chmap command. The map command bypasses some mechanisms (perhaps even the whole mapinfo stuff but I can't say for sure.)

chmap has tab completion, so you can also use that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What about to give us a way to disable update message? Seacat17 1 789 07-20-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [SUGGESTION] Teams should start with the same total health in ca gd 2 2,957 04-15-2022, 03:23 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Power-ups like in Quake/Nexuiz Classic DrAndi 2 2,662 02-06-2022, 01:35 AM
Last Post: z411
  [BUG] you run faster while runing into walls??? Snowball 2 2,692 03-12-2019, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Snowball
  [SUGGESTION] A way to speak with other players ? Fyley 3 4,674 11-25-2015, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Ch4mp
Sad [SUGGESTION] There should be more improvement (should be added yet) Eonman 5 4,882 05-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
  [SUGGESTION] Should There be an official Xonotic T-Shirt? Zeo 13 17,176 01-16-2015, 03:13 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Bringing back a few assets from Nexuiz as well as digging through the maps section Lee_Stricklin 1 3,618 12-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Turning LMS and CA into mutators MirceaKitsune 19 14,295 09-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] idea for the plot... if there is one. Wario 16 12,170 08-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Last Post: aa