Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Ouya for Xonotic

With all this discussion about trying to get Xonotic on steam and other platforms, I was wondering if a console might also be a consideration. It's called ouya and below is a link with more details about it.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya...me-console

This console is still currently looking for possible new games that can be added to it and seeing that we are trying to gain more and more players into the future, I was wanting to know exactly how possible would it be to import Xonotic into this system?

Just for reference, there's an Ouya thread in the offtopic section http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=3276

Thanks I did not know that was there, I will post my question there.

Well, no, this thread is fine. As I said, my link above is just for reference, as the offtopic thread is not about Xonotic.

(10-01-2012, 04:28 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Well, no, this thread is fine. As I said, my link above is just for reference, as the offtopic thread is not about Xonotic.

ah okay gotcha

This was the answer according to edh
"Not being pedantic but this isn't strictly a Xonotic thing, but more a Darkplaces engine change. With all of the games that Darkplaces is used for there would be an obvious demand. If Darkplaces did get ported then all of the Darkplaces games would run if packaged accordingly for the system."

So with that being the case, if dark places was imported to Ouya, would there be anything else we would need to do in order to get xonotic working on Ouya?

I don't know much about porting and stuffs.... the other thread someone made a big fuss over linux and android being diffrent on core levels ... involving user spaces and such ...

but seeing as xonotic/darkplaces is on a higher level ... and already has working mac and windows ports ... then It shouldn't be too hard ... ish ...

also specs wise ... if it can run minecraft at a stable frame rate ... ... it can run xonotic ...

lets hope mojang uses the REAL minecraft for this ... not the watered down xbox or mobile version ...

(10-01-2012, 04:36 PM)Squigger Wrote: So with that being the case, if dark places was imported to Ouya, would there be anything else we would need to do in order to get xonotic working on Ouya?

Willing developers. Supporting an additional platform would mean more work, and the devs don't necessarily want that.

EDIT: Besides, to assure proper releases, one of the devs should be in posession of a machine at least. Or do they have a testing VM kit of some sort?

(10-01-2012, 09:41 PM)hutty Wrote: I don't know much about porting and stuffs.... the other thread someone made a big fuss over linux and android being diffrent on core levels ... involving user spaces and such ...

but seeing as xonotic/darkplaces is on a higher level ... and already has working mac and windows ports ... then It shouldn't be too hard ... ish ...

also specs wise ... if it can run minecraft at a stable frame rate ... ... it can run xonotic ...

lets hope mojang uses the REAL minecraft for this ... not the watered down xbox or mobile version ...

That someone was me and I still think this is a perfectly valid argument. This also supports my opinion that Ouya by using Android as a platform instead of GNU is making it hard for software to be ported both ways (desktop ←→ Ouya).

As for Minecraft on Ouya - I wouldn't count on the normal one, since the mobile version is already on Android.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(10-02-2012, 03:14 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: That someone was me and I still think this is a perfectly valid argument. This also supports my opinion that Ouya by using Android as a platform instead of GNU is making it hard for software to be ported both ways (desktop ←→ Ouya).

I see what you're saying (again) but Darkplaces does not run on GNU as such. It has no GNU userland dependencies and you can run it on an entirely non-GNU version of Linux. Therefore it is not so relevant that Android is not GNU, it's more relevant if Ouya has things like zlib, libjpeg and SDL which are compatible. It may be that this can just be resolved by compiling against the right libraries for the system.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Well, the game startup script requires a shell and some gnu utils...

Anyway... what about the whole thing that Android apps have to be written in their own version of Java?
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(10-02-2012, 05:19 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Well, the game startup script requires a shell and some gnu utils...

It does not specifically require GNU utils for this, Busybox or similar would also cover this.

(10-02-2012, 05:19 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Anyway... what about the whole thing that Android apps have to be written in their own version of Java?

Doesn't mean software has to be an Android App. I would not be surprised to see Ouya use it's own software management system to allow other applications to be written. If not, porting a C based 3D engine to Java can be done although can't quite match the original for performance:
http://bytonic.de/html/jake2.html

i have found these two sites but maybe it is the same port
http://android.mob.org/game/qi4a_darkplaces.html
http://www.appbrain.com/app/qi4a-%28sour...n0n3m4.Q4A
i might experiment a bit
apparently it is possible to port

I love how xonotic is cross platform win mac and nix and I love how it can be standalone and run directly off a dvd or usb drive I dont care if I have to play it at 640x480 I would like the option to run it wherever and whenever

but the second link says "
Known issues:
1) Doesn't run Xonotic/Nexuiz well on devices with low RAM. Even 1Gb is low sometimes =)" but it means that it does work! we need to figure out how to strip it down i guess or wait for faster hardware which is just around the corner

but it does mean it IS possible

oooo got it to work with samsung galaxy s3... kindof the ill post pics but graphics suck id like to try with ouya but proof of concept via android and it was fast enough minus i cant see textures

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I had no idea that existed.

Too bad the author doesn't distribute the source code. They do give it to people who ask, which makes it okay legally (although the license should display to the user, so that they are aware of their rights). See here: http://forums.inside3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5161

Anyway, browse the config tips subforums here for low performance devices. Setting r_showsurfaces to 3 and r_sky to 0 for example.

unfortunately i came across a big prob with it error says it does not support texture compression though it is required as this is most likely graphics hardware issue but no biggie i guess this issue is mali400 issue; whatev kev

(07-08-2013, 11:48 AM)basaltdragon Wrote: unfortunately i came across a big prob with it error says it does not support texture compression though it is required as this is most likely graphics
hardware issue
This is a common problem when using old or not totally 3D supporting graphics drivers on Linux. It's not the end of the world - despite the big red text - you will still be able to play the game if you can get around the other issues.

Oh, and as Mr Bougo already asked, it's much easier to read posts that are punctuated. Cool

<OT>Glad to see you here again, edh!</OT>
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I apologize. I seem to forget how to type properly when I get excited.

The new Nvidia Shield handheld might be an even better Android target. I have my doubts however that the ultra-fast gameplay of Xonotic is anywhere near enjoyable with a gamepad.

Apparently the Ouya is compatible with bluetooth mouse and keyboard, so you do not have to use a controller.

http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?2837...d-keyboard

Or just have a usb hub and connect usb mouse and keyboard or use usb host connection adapter. Some devices require root unfortunately.

(07-08-2013, 02:05 PM)edh Wrote:
(07-08-2013, 11:48 AM)basaltdragon Wrote: unfortunately i came across a big prob with it error says it does not support texture compression though it is required as this is most likely graphics
hardware issue
This is a common problem when using old or not totally 3D supporting graphics drivers on Linux. It's not the end of the world - despite the big red text - you will still be able to play the game if you can get around the other issues.

Oh, and as Mr Bougo already asked, it's much easier to read posts that are punctuated. Cool

Because you brought up the red text, I was wondering if you could guide me to where I could learn to get familiar with the console. I have found that newbie corner by halogene is extremely useful and I would like to see tutorials on modding, modelling, and mapping. Howeve I would like to start with the basics first and have a good understanding of console commands and how to use them.

There isn't much to know about the console. What do you expect from it?

You can use tab completion: type the beginning of something and press tab, it'll complete it for you and show you a list with descriptions of the matching commands and variables. The "apropos" command is good to know too: try "apropos apropos".

There really isn't many good games for the system. I'm sure this would be great!