Create an account

Poll: Would you like a steampunk Laser model?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
5.00%
1 5.00%
No
95.00%
19 95.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Steampunk Laser Model

Halgne, you are corrrect: people who like laser didnt bother to speak. I was one of them so i apologise.

Laser is very good, and his current position suits it very well. And i dont thik of it as of a pea(poo) shooter. I know that some can kill... things with it. But not me.

I started typing this post in the morning, just after PinkRobats post. Its evening now, am late.(
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

I like laser too.
it's really perfect.

(10-14-2012, 04:22 PM)Miguel Wrote:
Quote:We also usually explain the reason why we don't like something and you make replies presuming things that aren't the case. ("It's not art". Nobody said it was).

No, it's just plain ugly.

Quote:If you don't like the model then put forward something better instead of disrespectfully putting down the model that someone else worked on and calling it "ugly" and "shit" and saying you "hate" it. Be constructive about your criticism at least.

Point taken.

wat

actually .... the only thing I have against the current laser model as laser ... is its too thin in first person perspective ....
but having a gun that is steampunk ... or an art style that doesn't fit ... would defiantly not work

unless you could provide a visual example to better explain what you mean ....

(10-14-2012, 04:22 PM)Miguel Wrote: What's a new player?. I play much better than so called new players, some even confuse me with a veteran.

Haha, you gave me a great laugh! Big Grin

Sry to be a bit respectful, but I think many people here are tired with people creating polls in the recommendation section, it's not a place to decide anything, it's a place to discuss new interessting idea, if you start one with a poll ppl will think you demand that feature if it got lot's of agree'ing ppl in the poll even if noone is interested in coding that feature for example, the best way to get your ideas in the game is to first make a prototype but it in the game and prove it fits in the same style, after that discuss it on the forums, after that poll on forums, after that discuss it with the core team and maybe it goes into the game.

[Image: tumblr_mbwwq4LShA1r9xe5ro2_1280.jpg]
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

C.Brutail Wrote:How about no?

No problem at all. I understand a steampunk "laser" won't integrate well with the art direction of the game. That is, if you could call such messy thing that.

The problem lies deeper. A laser doesn't work like that, it's not an energy block that can go slow-mo. Much less launch you in the air. The fun over realism argument doesn't work with the laser, sorry.

It should be called magnetic gun, that would be more scientifical. Also, the animations would have to change too.

machine! Wrote:What's a new player?. I play much better than so called new players, some even confuse me with a veteran.

Let's say I am an intermediate player. You should not laugh too much, I could give you a beating if you are a lousy player.

"Scientifical"? lol Smile

(10-15-2012, 03:41 PM).Danny. Wrote: "Scientifical"? lol Smile

Look it up.

He means "scientific". Does .Danny. have any other objections? No? Good.

(10-15-2012, 02:44 PM)Miguel Wrote: Let's say I am an intermediate player. You should not laugh too much, I could give you a beating if you are a lousy player.

I'm playing mostly on "Exile 1on1" server, "Laid back CTF" server and the "[lcbx] CTS" server, I' gladly play you! Tongue

Well, yeah, the current laser works more akin to something called a 'gauss gun' or some other plasma cannon, but whatever ;-). It's not like many other games take the lasers too realistically either (one example of better done beam weapons would be in "space pirates and zombies", but they spoil it the other way by making it visible in vacuum).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Wow "scientifical" was actually a word. Though I agree "scientific" is more correct given how incredibly old the word is but if you want to use middle english I haven't anything against it.

Miguel, just want to say sorry!

The laser was going to be renamed into the blaster, but samual's other changes didn't go over well.

Maybe they could rename it.

Also there is not animation for the laser.

The current laser model seems a bit too small comparing to other weapons (like nex)./

Laser animation? +1 It should be like these thingos stickin' out from sides of the weapon and movin' when you shoot, huh? Get my meaning?/

Seriously: Why is this thread still keep going? I would close it, because It seems nobody posts anything constructive.

Gauss gun? Plasma cannon? What are you on about, man?

Gauss is very much like the railgun, it accelerates small bullets at high speeds with multiple magnetic fields, that are usually generated by electro-magnets in coils, and can't have high push-back(at the point of impact with the target, not recoil), well, maybee except for Gauss Grenade Launcher, which would accelerate explosive shells with Gauss principle.

Plasma cannon... that one is more blurred. I assume that it heats up some matter that it enters plasma state (solid => liquid => gas => plasma), and than then throws it at the enemy in some certain way. In modern times(same as tenths of years ago, actualy) Plasma is handled with magnetic fields, so it can use a Gauss-Style accelerator. A weapon that throws a stream of plasma for a short distance may be referred as Plasma Flame Thrower. For transfer over longer distances plasma may be wrapped into (molten) plastic, forming a "plasma ball", overvise plasma would expand very quickly, loose concentration and power. UFO:AI is using the idea of plastic "packaging"

(10-13-2012, 03:06 PM)Miguel Wrote: It's the only weapon I truly hate. Maybe if there was a secondary fire mode that actually killed, it might be more useful.

Also, it's ugly.

Haha, you aren't supposed to kill with it, it's a movement utility that may in emergency scenario be used as a weapon. Smile

And it's not ugly! Tongue

Yes, he (laser) is by NO MEANS ugly. The old model, maybee, was a litlle bit ugly.

The current oneis very thin, slyme, small, compact and stylsh. If you think laser is not for killing, why should it be bulky, and look like it packs megatonns of firemower?

I was looking closely at the model and I am beginning to like it. Actually, it's steampunk. I would say dark-techno-steampunk.

Hmm, what about a futuristic pogo stick? I mean if its a weapon that can propel a full person 20 feet into the air it doesn't make sense for it to be pistol sized. I'm thinking of something similar in design to Unreal 99 with the close combat weapon (you know, the orange one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...S630FiXbtM

http://www.wshin.com/images/games_2/Unre...Hammer.jpg

we have a model

if you want xonotic to make sense there's a whole lot of stuff to do -- too much...

paragravity on space maps? how's that?
crylink gravity bomb? how's that?
bunny hopping? how's that? (i've tried this IRL and it doesn't work)

(10-17-2012, 08:12 PM).Danny. Wrote: I mean if its a weapon that can propel a full person 20 feet into the air it doesn't make sense for it to be pistol sized.

Well it's future, so...

It is also not logical to have a big weapon at the respawn, isn't it?

(10-18-2012, 01:04 PM)aa Wrote:
(10-17-2012, 08:12 PM).Danny. Wrote: I mean if its a weapon that can propel a full person 20 feet into the air it doesn't make sense for it to be pistol sized.

Well it's future, so...

It is also not logical to have a big weapon at the respawn, isn't it?

Why not? Unreal did it.

Oh did they.

Any way. The word laser asociates with somthig light and thin. so laser weap is likely to be smal. But if we are getting blaster instead of laserr, then...
blaster associates with numeres starting weapons from Alienarena, tremulous, etc.
second it associates with a weapon that is one of weapons'a'mighty, that you blast things out of your way with.

so i dont care.

(10-18-2012, 05:43 PM)aa Wrote: Oh did they.

Any way. The word laser asociates with somthig light and thin. so laser weap is likely to be smal. But if we are getting blaster instead of laserr, then...
blaster associates with numeres starting weapons from Alienarena, tremulous, etc.
second it associates with a weapon that is one of weapons'a'mighty, that you blast things out of your way with.

so i dont care.

or they might associate it with star-wars where its tiny and its blasts can be stopped by the palm of a jedi's hand.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin [SUGGESTION] Mickey Mouse player model rudzik8 0 384 01-03-2024, 04:21 AM
Last Post: rudzik8
Question Is adding a Quake-like laser to the main game a good idea? cushinga 2 1,076 03-28-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon model ideas - Post here! Beagle 7 6,069 04-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Loading only one player model when forcing cccxd 1 2,779 08-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] Humanoid dragon model for Xonotic? darkhog 0 2,137 08-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Last Post: darkhog
  [SUGGESTION] Rocket Launcher model idea Beagle 5 6,057 05-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
  [SUGGESTION] Player model descriptions removed nilyt 6 7,609 11-22-2014, 03:14 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  [SUGGESTION] [Poll] Increase Laser Push Force on Opponents Halogene 23 22,230 05-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Last Post: jizzman
  [SUGGESTION] Adjustable model geometry s1lence 7 8,108 02-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Last Post: s1lence
  [SUGGESTION] laser push force boost with quad ? Rage_ATWM 9 7,194 01-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Rage_ATWM