Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quake's monsters in Xonotic

Hi all,

I've been working on a port of the Quake 1 monsters for Xonotic, along with a few other modes, for example; tower defense & zombie apocalypse. I feel I'm getting close to finishing what I am capable of coding alone.

EDIT:
The monsters are now on their own Xonotic Git branch! You can test it locally by checking out Mario/monsters (./all checkout Mario/monsters).

ANOTHER EDIT:
Here's a package for server owners who want to run the mod:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30835385/zzz-monsters_a1.pk3

Here are some testing maps for Tower Defense, courtesy of hutty:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/91010597/td-faci...ctorA1.pk3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/91010597/hty-td-001.pk3

The models are from the GPL project OpenQuartz II, but they would need to be remodeled for Xonotic.

If you would like to help in any way, you can contact me on IRC (Mario on QuakeNet, Mario` on freenode). hutty has designed some testing maps, available on the link above.

EDIT:
Some pictures:
[Image: xonotic20121027171400-00_thumb.jpg]
[Image: xonotic20121027171649-00_thumb.jpg]
[Image: xonotic20121027171938-00_thumb.jpg]
[Image: 230.png]

Good job! Ill try it when Im back home.

It would be tempting to recompile the original Quake maps from source, scaling up by 50% for Xonotic. This would then get you soemthing close to playing through Quake 1 in Xonotic.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

(10-18-2012, 04:09 AM)edh Wrote: It would be tempting to recompile the original Quake maps from source, scaling up by 50% for Xonotic. This would then get you soemthing close to playing through Quake 1 in Xonotic.

That would at least give us a rudimentary SP campaign.

Throw in some scripting, and a "use" bind and we could do even better
[Image: 2386.png] Professional noob...
of...
Paradox Space...

(10-18-2012, 03:49 PM)Shadowman84 Wrote:
(10-18-2012, 04:09 AM)edh Wrote: It would be tempting to recompile the original Quake maps from source, scaling up by 50% for Xonotic. This would then get you soemthing close to playing through Quake 1 in Xonotic.

That would at least give us a rudimentary SP campaign.

Throw in some scripting, and a "use" bind and we could do even better
That is stealing.
also:
The bottom line is that quake's campaign simply isn't good by today's standards.
I don't mean that there's anything wrong with the 1 man army type story line seen in half-life and quake. It's just that quake's implementation was the best for it's time, and a while after as well.

I think we can do much better than quake.

The map sources are GPL, but yes, we could do much better.

I'd welcome the deathmatch maps from Q1, or even better - a support for those in Xonotic like for Q3 maps (so one could play fan created maps too). Maybe they don't look like much by todays standards, but they are fun as hell :-).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(10-18-2012, 09:08 PM)s1lencer Wrote: That is stealing.

No it is not stealing. The map sources were released under the GPL some years ago:
http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?...ail&id=343

What I would do is suggest porting to the Quake 3 map format, I did this before with the House of Cnthon manually but this could be done progmatically.

(10-18-2012, 09:08 PM)s1lencer Wrote: The bottom line is that quake's campaign simply isn't good by today's standards.
I don't mean that there's anything wrong with the 1 man army type story line seen in half-life and quake. It's just that quake's implementation was the best for it's time, and a while after as well.

I think we can do much better than quake.

That's not the point. The idea would be that it would be the same, otherwise you're not just making a little port, you're having to rewrite the whole game. Also bear in mind:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=3104
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Quote:The bottom line is that quake's campaign simply isn't good by today's standards.
:
:/
[Image: foxtrotcproggry.jpg]

I didn't quite mean that we copy quake wholesale (if we did that, it would be only slightly less rudimentary that SP is right now) , but with the scripting that DP allows for, and the work that's been done with that city map, and monsters, we could have a SP campaign
[Image: 2386.png] Professional noob...
of...
Paradox Space...

I have been watching some SP speed runs in various games lately, and I would love something like that for Xonotic. Let the backstory be simple and thin, who cares. Xonotic is about fragging anyway.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Yeah, totally agree with PinkRobot, games with speed run communities often got a very basic story with no cut-scenes.

Let me rephrase what I said though: the story can be as elaborate and interesting as possible or desirable, but it would fit the Xonotic style if runs like that were a possibility once you know where to go and what to do Smile
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

I don't care about story, sth like UT2k4's Invasion would make me happy.

Man, if we could put monsters in Xonotic and have some kind of zombie horde mode, that would be epic! Smile

I'm not talking about a CoD style zombie mode, but a quick pace, Quake 1 style zombie mode.

Oh hell yeah! Can you get this mergered ASAP? If I am running git, how do I patch my xonotic version to include your monsters? I like the git additions so running your pk3 isn't an option unfortunatly, I need to patch my source to work. Can you get this committed, that will make things easier, atleast the spawnfuncs first, if not right away the mutator.

Show us some screenshots too, I've played this on your server and think it's great and it's license compatable, but for the rest of the people. Man think of the maps we can make with monster hazards, they were always popular in old unreal DM.

(10-20-2012, 03:47 AM)machine! Wrote: ...games with speed run communities often got a very basic story with no cut-scenes.

I highly recommend that you take a look at http://speeddemosarchive.com/ .
Then you will notice that your statement is simply false. It's the challenge to find the sequence breaks and use them which makes these runs interesting.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Added some pictures to the OP.

ME WANT RIGHT NOW!!!

Can't wait till it will be included in autobuild, to give it a test.

(10-27-2012, 08:22 AM)rafallus Wrote: Can't wait till it will be included in autobuild, to give it a test.

Nor me. Big Grin

And I'd prefer to have it on autobuild than on GIT (for the time being).

just played tower defence on mario's server with them, they're kinda OP.

We could totally have a quake-like campaign with them Big Grin

imagine...

Those team-color textures need to be redone: they're too blue/red (too saturated), and all over the monster. Best to pick out one or two areas on the texture to mask off with the texturename_shirt /_pants and make only those small areas colorable. Like a patch or a tatoo etc, or if the monster has clothes the parts of the clothes.

When will this be in git?
(if it's in git it's in autobuild btw, git is always first)

Have you asked for commit?

(10-27-2012, 10:33 PM)HellYeah Wrote: Those team-color textures need to be redone: they're too blue/red (too saturated), and all over the monster. Best to pick out one or two areas on the texture to mask off with the texturename_shirt /_pants and make only those small areas colorable. Like a patch or a tatoo etc, or if the monster has clothes the parts of the clothes.

When will this be in git?
(if it's in git it's in autobuild btw, git is always first)

Have you asked for commit?

The monsters don't have proper textures yet. This will be fixed when (if) they are remodeled.

IMO for starter those monsters need to be showed on more flat, spacious map. They get locked up on those tight maps and need to be lured one by one and on bridge map non-flying ones just fall to their doom.

And boy, do they do some crazy damage, they 2-3 shot you with crazy ROF and little room to dodge.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Xonotic vs Quake 3 development comparison LegendGuard 4 4,252 09-05-2023, 06:10 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Quake live mouse acceleration implementation successfully coded! I have questions Draena 0 2,186 03-09-2020, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Draena