Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final Rage [New Item Layout]

final_rage_duel_v2: http://ompldr.org/vZzE0cw

I did some minor changes to the item and map layout of Final Rage by Munyul Verminard and tZork to make the map more balanced and hopefully enhance duel gameplay.

Changes:

-) Megahealth to Megaarmor teleporter repositioned
-) The Megaarmor in the main room is now replaced by a 50 armor and positioned at the former quad spawn
-) Rocketlauncher now spawns in the former GL room
-) GL is positioned in the main room
-) The window in the MH room is now slightly bigger
-) Some clipping at teleporters to avoid getting stuck
-) Some changes to health and ammunition positioning

Interesting layout, can't wait to play it against someone.

Asyyy: can you maybe upload it to exile 1on1?

im currently remaking final rage ... now i dont know which layout to use : (

Why would you remake it? There is a version with different texture and some boxes already.

Anyway, this looks interesting. I miss some shards though, but let's see how this turns out in a Duel.

It needs some testing first to find out if those changes are good (only played one duel against haz_mat on it).

I always disliked 3 major items being so close to each other. So stretching the length between MH and MA seems to be quite good and gives more chances to the player out of control to come back. Furhtermore there was too much armor placed on the map.

Oh the question was to hutty. Smile

I was always waiting for such a item change!

(10-21-2012, 03:09 PM)hutty Wrote: im currently remaking final rage ... now i dont know which layout to use : (

Use this one it looks interesting. Smile Or wait a bit and see how it turns out.

(10-21-2012, 03:30 PM)Mirio Wrote: Why would you remake it? There is a version with different texture and some boxes already.

Anyway, this looks interesting. I miss some shards though, but let's see how this turns out in a Duel.

the remake still has very low graphical quality and the boxes simply break the map.

Well... why do you need a remake? It does not look too bad and I rather would like to see new fresh maps.

ON TOPIC:

I played with Debugger today and it plays quite nice.
http://stats.xonotic.org/game/83002

I played a lengthy warmup with a few players in this map and I have to say that the item placement is much better than it used to be and i couldn't have done it better myself, my only concern is the jump pad in the MA room, I think there are too many jump pads for that small map and the MA jump pad seems to slow down the movement when exiting with speed from the teleporter.
The way i see it is u either laser jump (which in most cases u hit the ceiling) or u go to the jump pad which slows u down alot, its not good if u wanna steal MA coming from the tele. I suggest u add a ramp to the sides of the jump pad if u decide to keep it to allow for a trick jump just like the ones in warfare or make an arch like ceiling to allow for a laser jump.
As for the gameplay, most people out of control hang around the MA room and there are not many health shards or 25s ( to allow for a quick recovery from a fight) in that room compared to the 2 25s and MH in the main room, i suggest u add hp shards where it used to be in one of the entrances it was good for predicting enemy as well as extra health.
[Image: 1328.png]

(10-22-2012, 08:25 PM)Mirio Wrote: Well... why do you need a remake? It does not look too bad and I rather would like to see new fresh maps.

ON TOPIC:

I played with Debugger today and it plays quite nice.
http://stats.xonotic.org/game/83002

hutty actually intended to make it more balanced with changed item layout and new ramps. He didn't know Lo was making one...

Looks much better. I'm only concerned about the position of the mortar. If the opponent camps/controls that middle area you wont get either nexgun or mortar of which at least one is needed to attack imo. But I will have to play it versus a good opponent to see how it really works out. Final_rage quickcup anyone? Smile

Im not sure about the mortar positioning either. Nex and mortar is a very strong combination. But I think the RL is more powerful in the small corridors at the MA than the Gl, which gives better chances to the player out of control to defend himself who usually cant stay in the open main room.
I would place the mortar in a position which is easier accesible for the player out of control if I'd find one (any ideas?).

@Osiris: My aim is to make the way from MH to MA longer by repositioning the teleporter and slowing down the pace. But I could try adding a ramp or replacing the jump-pad by a staircase.
I need to play some testing games first tbh.

I think it's fine with the mortar in the main room, Rocket launcher is a good defensive weapon, so it's fine being swapped with the mortar.

(10-23-2012, 08:17 AM)-Lo- Wrote: But I think the RL is more powerful in the small corridors at the MA than the Gl, which gives better chances to the player out of control to defend himself who usually cant stay in the open main room.

This, basically.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

actually I was just planning to make it as pretty as f#%@king possible

layout wise ... I have gotten imput from several people on changes ....

reason I'm not making something fresh is because I am also making a new texture pack for the map ...
and I want to have a solid working map to text the textures on ...

but also ... I like patching up the much used ... but still ugly maps ...

next on my to do eventually list is

boxflip
lostspace

This version of the map is really nice and it offers better gameplay right now.

Anyway, I think the mortar position is ok (as well as the mortar). At some point, the player in control has to leave the main room for the mega armor and thats when the other player can (try) to grab either nex or mortar (unless the control is so strong and good that you wont be able to take a single weapon).
I'm against adding a ramp to go to the megaarmor as this is what makes the distance even bigger. With the new teleporter position the player who is out of control can do some nice damage rather than stealing the armor.

Played a game vs LO on it last night. Threw me quite a bit as changes make a big difference, is much much better now. The placement of ammo boxes also helps slow the pace down a bit and makes it less spammy and helps tactical side of things as players need to move to get ammo.

Bascially you can't chain everything now and its hard for the person in control to ever be over 200/100 stack. I like how if an opponent who has main control wants to get the 50a they are taking a risk, allows for a player without the best control some freedom to move around and time his movements.

Just needs one cell placing in Armour room as I said to LO and just a few more shards - not many though, just 2-4 somewhere.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Tried this layout ... I like it

The tele movement was a nice touch

I'm using this layout in my remake ...

final_rage_duel_v2: Added some shards and placed one more cell ammunition.

Updated download link in first post.

updated on exile servers

Good improvements; now it's not so easy to control the map completely. Nice work.
[Image: 769.png]

Positive (+1)
I took a look at it yesterday. I am more then happy to say: Well done! I couldn't really stand last version of final rage, its good to have a brand new one.
All Im waiting now is a polished remake from Hutty.
I didn't play many matches so I don't feel responsible for having any complaints about the current layout. I find it flawless.

I like the changes also because that means innovation (the same about warfare) - new positioning, tactics, item placement, balanement... And it's great to break repeteativity and play the same but different map (feels like something completly new).

Okey, after playing it several times I got some constructive feedback.

This new item layout is great. It really turns an otherwise unbalanced but great map into a balanced
and great map. This new teleport placement also makes some interesting battles when someone is
going for it you can quickly jump through and try hit and then jump back into the teleporter. The new
layout has some flaws though, you very often run out of cells and rocket ammo. Also, the 50a is
really hard to take if the controling player has a relativily good timing on it. I think there's a need for
more armor shards. Possible places to put those could be:
  • The corridor between MA and MH.
  • The room next to GL.
  • In the other corner where the MG is.
  • Replace the health shards in the tunnel next to the nexgun.
How much of these I'm not sure of. Either place a few at some of these places mentioned or add a lot
of them in a more difficult place to get to.

Now, back to the ammo problem. My suggestion is that you put some rocket ammo in the main room
near the 25h. Place some cells under MH like in the original map. While keeping most of the current
ammo on the map.

If these two things get added I think this map will become really awesome! Not Stormkeep-quality but
it will be in the same level as many of the best maps.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CTF,ONS,CTS] Trident_ctf [FINAL] Kotangens 10 5,248 08-29-2022, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [MAP] The Yard 2.0 [FINAL] Cortez666 24 30,917 11-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Last Post: snazz
  [DUEL] Tuhma (FINAL) Smilecythe 21 17,109 07-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [DUEL]Phrantic - Final Cortez666 23 18,792 09-30-2017, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Justin
  [TDM]Voll aufs Maul FINAL Cortez666 37 44,088 02-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Last Post: zykure