Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[WIP-MAP] Facing Worlds Evolved [Alpha 2]

Hey this is the map im working on. As the title sais its a remake of facing worlds. It has vehicles.(vehicle clip texture would be nice)
I planned a remake for years and already made the bases but never finished.

only compiled bsp and cheap light; vis got my favourite 'max map visibility exceeded' error... but its enough for testing purposes

Download Alpha #2

download: http://www.mediafire.com/?7ek1t7s32gro12v (legacy download)
-.map, .blend, .xcf(minimap) files included

music: http://www.jamendo.com/en/track/352345/sun-chaser

some impressions:
gallery: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ykrj398w1...n2kjs,grid

known bugs:
-missing ground texture
-some edges are misplaced(rather small issue)
-some textures are wrong
-model from red warpzone is slightly far away from the warpzone(0.0xxx untis)

ALPHA 2 INCOMING!

Download Alpha #2

Image Gallery of A2

-Made jumppads much weaker -now you wont get through the whole map in 15 sec.

-Added some rocks which make the map look more detailed

-Added moar vehicles

-Adjusted lightning a bit

let me know what you think

wow.
judging by the screenshots it seems like it would be fun.

obviously needs graphical detail Big Grin

vehicling_worlds is so broken it will be good to have a replacement.

it seems nice, but i think that it's not a good idea to have runs be soooo fast, for a map twice the size of top_of_the_world 18 second caps are too fast Tongue
Maybe require boosting in the center to make the center of the map a control point.

also...

needs moar raptors and less crawlers, since the crawlers are almost useless.

also rifle and HLAC are going to be depricated soon...

yeah its quite fast^^ -if you play alone but with enough enemies it will become harder since both teams can be fast but maybe ill find a way to slow that down a bit

imo the crawlers are good to defend your own base or raid the enemies in a group and i'll add some raptors also on the platforms between the bases

yeah i also want some graphical detail but i have no good idea and i need some help getting textures on my models but anyway thanks for your criticism Wink

Download Alpha #2

[Image: facingworldsevolved.jpg]
INCOMING UPDATE...(captain-caps is raping you)

Image Gallery of A2
Anyway whats new?

-Made jumppads much weaker -now you wont get through the whole map in 15 sec.

-Added some rocks which make the map look more detailed

-Added moar vehicles

-Adjusted lightning a bit

Download Alpha #2

I like this map a lot, it's a lot better than the original one on the vehicle servers.

The one thing I did notice about this map is that is has a huge expanse, check this video out to get an idea of what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqbODhzdZU

This is not necessarily a bad thing, I like it in a way because it allows the spider artillery to actually hit all the places it targets. Whereas in most vehicle maps, the rockets would hit the ceiling and vanish.

However, it is way too big and ends up being a waste of space, which is why I would suggest one of two things.

1. Reduce it by at least half on both the ceiling and the floor

2. My preference is that you fill it with cool stuff, like lookout areas that people can get to either by helicopter or teleportation, put in some easter eggs,
and/or put the superweapons like the fireball up on some platforms either high up or low. This would encourage people to explore the map to find cool things.

haha thank you for the feedback i made the map that big simply because i hate it when i fly around and the vehicle gets stopped by the skybox also if you cant fall long enough like in newtonian nightmare i think

some more space to safe you from falling (or suffering longer waiting to die^^)

cool stuff sounds cool Big Grin
lookout areas... floating islands
also want some thing on the sides of the bases and some eyecandy between them but i have no idea what(added rocks to make it look less emtpy and to have something to hide from being shot because running along those long paths makes you a walking frag)

yeah its a bit big but i like the size for dogfights with raptors but i should add something that will hurt you when youre flying to far away instead of ramming the sky
and to make you travel a bit faster i made jumppads also with a raptor it takes 20 seconds to reach the other site so making it smaller is no option for me

i had some racers down in the base but they got half destroyed after landing and damaged everytime they tried to drive up that path or fell down the sides(if someone wonders why theres no racers)

well, theres 1 easter egg ...added something that replaces gg with good game but thats not a real funny one
also the video shows me that everything works as it should do
other easter eggs were planned due to hallowwen in the near future (but in a halloween version of the map if i would make one)

so what im going to make:
-not smaller
-adding cool stuff like floating islands with loot and powerups
-maybe a teleporter to reduce the time travelling between the bases
-some hurting areas to stop you from flying to far away with the raptor
-maybe some turrets behind the bases to prevent enemies from spawnkilling with raptors

-adding textures to the ground as soon i get to know on how to :/
-i wish i could make the vehicles faster
also thers a function on this site to post yt videos like this:

(10-28-2012, 12:53 PM)_para Wrote: haha thank you for the feedback i made the map that big simply because i hate it when i fly around and the vehicle gets stopped by the skybox also if you cant fall long enough like in newtonian nightmare i think

some more space to safe you from falling (or suffering longer waiting to die^^)

i like the size for dogfights with raptors but i should add something that will hurt you when youre flying to far away instead of ramming the sky
and to make you travel a bit faster i made jumppads also with a raptor it takes 20 seconds to reach the other site so making it smaller is no option for me

also thers a function on this site to post yt videos like this:

Those are some good reasons that I agree with, having that much space would definitely make for some good dogfights. Yeah I also wish I knew that function beforehand lol.

Could you maybe add the bumblebee to this map too? It could replace one of the helis.

i already was about to add those fat bees but i dont know the name of the entity neither if its included in xonotic 0.6 i think its just on the vehicle server but if i know how to add them ill definetly do that

I don't know if a bee would be wise because it is so slow and would be easy to take down on the map.

But if you do maybe replace where the fireball/port-o-launch is with it, so the center becomes a control point.

Very very nice

the interior of the bases is beautiful (outside could use a little more detail though ...)

The ground model is very elegant ... it looks perfect from underneath (which you sped alot of time when playing minsta )
The lasers in the base are also really well made (no sneaking a raptor in there :3 )
ingenious use of mine-layer in underside of base too

a couple notes ...

keep the hlac ... i like it ...

um ...

thats the only note ...

keep up the good work Big Grin

hm working on my map doesnt make sense for me at the moment but maybe could someone tell me how to apply textures to the models/ export ing them with and getting it work also some suggestions on details you want to see because i dont want to stop working on it but without any clue i cant work on it. so please help me a bit byexplaining me how i could get the textures working and what details would you like to see? (i dont forgot the ideas mentioned above, they're planned but im trying to do it in blender but i have those texture problems)

For those who want to try this out the map is getting quite a bit of game play on the Vehicle servers.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

First of all: Realy solid remake. Well done!

Here is the feedback from me, I hope it will help you:
  • First thing is that Skybox is extremly large (already mentioned above) and it takes too long to fall down the map and you can also fly much too high. I would consider scaling skybox down (it will increase fps too)
    [Image: facing1.jpg]
  • Second and third screenshots show two areas on your map that could definitely use some datails, lights and teleport back to base. Right now these trooms look empty and boring.
    [Image: facing2.jpg] x [Image: facing3.jpg]
  • The next problem is in the base and it is unexpacted fps drop:
    [Image: facing4.jpg]
  • In the bases you did very well in terms of structures and visuals. Try to expand this style on all other areas in the bases. I would suggest adding a bit more lights and color contrasts.
    [Image: facing5.jpg]
  • Here this drop down isn't very obvious. At first I thought that under the floor there is just detailed area you can't acces, but I accidently dropped down and realized that in fact you can get there, which is nice. I would add arrows on the wall pointing down as the idicators like this:
    [Image: facing6.jpg]
  • Too dark in this area. Consider adding lamps
    [Image: facing7.jpg]
  • What is the purpose of these? I find them rather annoying then usefull:
    [Image: facing8.jpg]
  • Bumpy lights, why not putting them higher? add some clipping on the floor. Try to make more trims and texture variety. For example, floor should not be the same as ceiling and walls. Add trims at the bottn of the walls and at the edges of the floor.
    [Image: facing9.jpg]
  • VERY NICE idea of these lasers and jumppad. Well done.
    [Image: facing91.jpg]
  • The middle is too large and it takes ages to traverse whole map. Even with vehicles. You could try scaling these models down or scaling the whole map down slightly (there is a command for that if interested).
    [Image: facing92.jpg]
  • Great idea for teleports, although its difficult to notice them. Mabye adding color contrast would indicate them well.
    [Image: facing93.jpg]
  • Is the music ambient sound? I can hear it even with music off.

Overall as I said:This is a good remake. Unique. I am afraid I cannot help you with texturing models, I have no idea how to. Sad What I like about the minimap that you made it colorful, so it shows in which base you are. Nicely done. I wish you good luck with your map!

[Image: 1594441-Z04SC2O.png]
I can't see the floors of the middle passage with r_showsurfaces 3, what are they made of?

I am standing in front of the blue base.

(05-12-2013, 04:55 AM)Justin Wrote: First of all: Realy solid remake. Well done!

Here is the feedback from me, I hope it will help you:
  • First thing is that Skybox is extremly large (already mentioned above) and it takes too long to fall down the map and you can also fly much too high. I would consider scaling skybox down (it will increase fps too)

Some of players did a test yesterday and flew up as high as it would go. Took 45 seconds to hit bottom lol. Noticed server cpu usage wet up as he went higher, not much though.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

I meant that fps is low because of such huge skybox itself. It also makes compilation time 10 times longer. Its interesting to know that when you move higher it increases fps. Well: There is absolutely no use for adding immense space like this. Map feels too huge. Its just not a good good game for huge maps (I know something about it from my own mapping experience)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Bug [WIP] Aquanica Z(Rus) 15 7,907 12-22-2020, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Z(Rus)
  [Duel] bmn1_b2 (WIP) Beemann 11 7,880 05-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [DUEL] Graphite (WIP) t0uYK8Ne 15 9,500 05-01-2020, 07:12 PM
Last Post: samiam
  [WIP-b4] KOLOSSUS _para 12 5,754 10-09-2018, 05:13 AM
Last Post: _para
  [WIP]Distortion Justin 35 37,091 08-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Last Post: Notavi