Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Can we get rid of this matter?

Or does it have to be there? Because ever since Nexuiz, I have always been bothered with this:

Here's a nex shot near an edge of a floor, map is Drain and down on the right is mortar, but nevermind that. Notice the trajectory of the nex shot is very point-blank to the edge of the floor.
[Image: 21bnjq1.jpg]

Now heres the same but with your left side facing towards the mortar, you can also see the armor there, but try to focus on the Nex as it hits the edge of the wall unlike the crosshair anticipates. The ability to shoot through narrow spots is more limited when shot close to a wall/floor from this side.
[Image: ne9is4.jpg]

I'm not entirely happy this little matter ruining countless of pixel shots with nex for me and causing me to suicide with Mortar couple of times. I noticed this can be dealt with by setting your weapon centered to the screen which is when the trajectory the shots takes are equal in both sides, but I think the weapons looks like retards from that angle so I don't like it. My point is that I want the bullets to go right there where the crosshair points.

So, if I get it right, you want to shoot through solid?

No, I want to shoot through from the point of my gun to the exact point of crosshair without geometrically realistically getting interfered with solid. Just like in many other games.

For example Quake Live:
[Image: 2qveaew.jpg]
Basically, yes the rail goes through the solid to the point where the crosshair is.

Isn't that what "shootfromeye" does? I think you can enable that somehow server-side, but default it's disabled...
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(11-04-2012, 09:25 AM)Smilecythe Wrote: No, I want to shoot through from the point of my gun to the exact point of crosshair without geometrically realistically getting interfered with solid. Just like in many other games.

For example Quake Live:
[Image: 2qveaew.jpg]
Basically, yes the rail goes through the solid to the point where the crosshair is.

The line between the origin of the shot (i.e. tip of the gun) to the crosshair intersects solid. And you want the shot to reach the crosshair. So you basically want the gun to shoot through solid in these circumstances, which is exactly what I thought. I don't understand your "no", unless you thought I was suggesting you wanted to shoot through walls at all times.

EDIT: Anyway, Halogene is right, shootfromeye is what you want. In Xonotic the visuals are not decoupled from the actual shot, I guess you could say we're a WYSIWYG shooter. I'm guessing the screenshot above shows a fake projectile trajectory, with the actual trajectory starting at the eye.

EDIT: I think I edited this post ten times. I'll stop now.

g_shootfromeye does that but then cl_gunalign wont work anymore. I reported this bug a couple of months ago btw: http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/1258
From defaultXonotic.cfg: set g_shootfromeye 0 "shots are fired from your eye/crosshair; visual gun position can still be influenced by cl_gunalign 1 and 2"

Quote:g_shootfromeye 1
g_shootfromcenter 0
g_shootfromclient 1 or 2
cl_gunalign any setting

Im confused, so should I be using these?

No, it has to be enabled on the server. But I can't enable it because cl_gunalign is broken then and most people don't like centered guns.

This is something that bothers me as well. I'd be really happy if g_shootfromeye worked without breaking gunalign. I've had quite a few silly suicides because it looks like my rocket will be fine, only for it to hit the edge of the floor in front if me and blow up. Having to deal with choosing when it is okay to aim with either the crosshair or the gun's barrel adds an unnecessary layer of complexity to the game. It leads to 'wtf' deaths and missed opportunities, not to mention how it is just plain annoying Wink

(09-05-2012, 05:38 PM)asyyy Wrote: No, it has to be enabled on the server. But I can't enable it because cl_gunalign is broken then and most people don't like centered guns.

Unfortunately, the above quote is the case for my servers as well. Until g_shotfromeye doesn't break cl_gunalign, it'll be disabled on my servers.
[Image: 2823.png]

The same effect impacts on everyone though, it's not like one person misses out in particular. I'd really rather shoot from eye wasn't default as then you'll have people complaining about that. It does make it easier to camp by having shoot from eye as you can fire from some much more obscured positions. I'm against the opportunity being given for campers so I would think shoot from eye should be left as is. Walls are for holding ceilings up.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Well it's mostly interesting for the competitive community and the XPM ruleset. I don't see why fixing that bug shouldn't get its place on the todo list like any other bug.

most of the above statements pertain to duels ... there are pretty much no camping issues when it comes to duels ...

For instance this is just Xonotic bluntly saying FUCK YOU to me:
[Image: 34ql2eu.jpg]
Okay this one is from a camping scenario, but take any scene where you're on a level above and you need to shoot nearly straight down for someone, floors get in the way. The nex doesn't even in this kind of angle/distance from a floor seem to create a decal anywhere let alone hit anything.

No, this is Xonotic working the way it was made to work. There's no plot against you or anything, it's part of the game mechanics to not show the client one thing and do something different.

What should be investigated here is why the shot fails even though the muzzle appears unobstructed, and why there is no decal at the point of impact. What map is this?

What happens is that the barrel of the nex is pretty much touching the floor therefore it just hits the ground instead of my crosshair's appointed location. Map is called Crucible.
What bothers me most is that if I would've had the gun model placed in the center of the screen this wouldn't perhaps have happened.

(11-05-2012, 12:17 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: What happens is that the barrel of the nex is pretty much touching the floor therefore it just hits the ground instead of my crosshair's appointed location. Map is called Crucible.
What bothers me most is that if I would've had the gun model placed in the center of the screen this wouldn't perhaps have happened.

Let me get this clear. You are bothered that placing your gun differently results in shots being different? That's beyond me.

I don't understand why people who don't even play the game themselves have to force their will on the players.. (not directed to you exclusively Mr. Bougo)

(11-05-2012, 12:41 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Let me get this clear. You are bothered that placing your gun differently results in shots being different? That's beyond me.
Yes that is exactly the case. This visual preference is practically a minor advantage. One side becomes more obstructed with floors/walls if the gun is set right or left.

edit: Here you can see it better:
[Image: 2mfkf3t.jpg]
Tested this on DDC's Pussy minstagib and Prophets Duel Sanctuary so it's not only client side eye candy effect. Screenshots above are from local game.

(11-05-2012, 02:24 PM)asyyy Wrote: I don't understand why people who don't even play the game themselves have to force their will on the players.. (not directed to you exclusively Mr. Bougo)

If this is at all directed at me, I'll just mention that I'm explaining how the game works and why Smilecythe's expectations are absurd considering the mechanics we currently have. I'm not saying it should not be changed, my only point is that everything seems to work as it should.

EDIT: And I *still* don't understand what you are expecting, Smilecythe. Weapons were *designed* to work this way and yet you're implying something is malfunctioning.

Works as intended IMO. If it shot straight with weapon tilted to the side, it would just look completely ridiculous.

(11-05-2012, 04:06 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: EDIT: And I *still* don't understand what you are expecting, Smilecythe. Weapons were *designed* to work this way and yet you're implying something is malfunctioning.
I expect you and everyone else to shove that realism card back to the orifice where it emerged from.

(11-05-2012, 04:49 PM)rafallus Wrote: Works as intended IMO. If it shot straight with weapon tilted to the side, it would just look completely ridiculous.
We just don't seem to think very much alike, see I'm just very used to having my shots go exactly there where I am aiming, I couldn't care less if it would look ridiculous. Besides, the problem is gone if we use those fake projectile trajectories here. Visually it looks correct and physically it just goes straight the retarded way.

(11-05-2012, 04:52 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: I expect you and everyone else to shove that realism card back to the orifice where it emerged from.

Whoa, that sure came out of nowhere.

Please state your wishes clearly instead of making them seem like bug reports. What you want is to show the projectile/beam effect to go from the muzzle to the crosshair point, but the actual projectile trajectory to start at the eye and finish at the crosshair point. Correct me if I'm wrong, otherwise confirm it.

And what I say to this is that I don't think that makes much sense at all, and I think letting people set shootfromeye if they want would be better. But in any case, keep the visual and physical effects coherent! Nevermind, I read what I wrote and it makes no sense, players who care about this aiming system won't need visual coherence.

But as asyyy said, that's the opinion of someone who hardly plays so it does not really count, I fully agree with that.

EDIT: Seems you edited your message while I was typing mine, alright. I can't really argue with you, your opinion is fine but your manner of presenting really confused me. Sorry about that.

...so if you are able to hit depends on which hand you're holding the weapon with? Awesome, that would mean we should introduce a bind for swapping the weapon to the other hand! That sort of juggling should also be visible from 3rd person view, no?
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Quote:We just don't seem to think very much alike, see I'm just very used to having my shots go exactly there where I am aiming, I couldn't care less if it would look ridiculous. Besides, the problem is gone if we use those fake projectile trajectories here. Visually it looks correct and physically it just goes straight the retarded way.

How they aren't going where you are aiming? You just happen to have an obstacle in the way.

Quote:But as asyyy said, that's the opinion of someone who hardly plays so it does not really count, I fully agree with that.
No, your opinion is worth as much as that of everyone else. And by the way, the current XPM ruleset got g_shootfromcenter 1 already iirc so your argument of realism doesn't hold there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] [QoL] Disable hearing your own SFXs so you can focus more on what matters lerh050 0 630 09-06-2022, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lerh050
  [BUG] Sniper Rifle Can Shoot Through Walls Space Ace 3 2,812 03-09-2018, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Julius
  [SUGGESTION] Can we have fireball traps like in quake? Fireball 12 13,951 09-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Last Post: catfish
  [SUGGESTION] A way achievements can be handled (and go social) Minkovsky 7 6,834 08-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Ideas for Xonotic website to get more social unfa 13 15,854 04-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Friskydingo
  [SUGGESTION] Possibility to get own ip:port through RCON? Akari 0 2,750 11-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Last Post: Akari
  [SUGGESTION] Request: Can someone remake Darkzone CTF for Xonotic? Dokujisan 17 19,221 11-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Last Post: vede
  [SUGGESTION] Assault - who wants, and who can map? kojn^ 18 12,980 09-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Last Post: kojn^
  [SUGGESTION] The more you kill, the brighter you get Dokujisan 20 16,614 09-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Last Post: MintOX
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic should get a Flattr account! paperclips 4 5,579 06-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Last Post: paperclips