Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Can we get rid of this matter?

In the first screenshot of this thread, I can see the nex beam making contact with a surface that is not in the same spot as the crosshair. Should this be fixed?
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Personally I like the way you can't shoot around a corner, cause the weapon hits the wall. I think it should stay like this, at least in the normal game - it's the way weapons worked in most fps'es since the dawn of the genre.

The XPM settings can have shooting through walls for all I care :-).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Quote:it's the way weapons worked in most fps'es since the dawn of the genre
Nexuiz, and what else..? I would be surprised if even quakeworld got that behavior, but feel free to correct me.

I can't check currently, but I'm fairy sure Quake 1 and 2 and Unreal got that, I remember having to take correction when shooting a rocket down from an edge so it won't explode by my feet. (and I'm sure about Turok 2 - the arrows shot from a bow got stuck at the corner of a wall that I was trying to shoot around) I remember this worked the same in many other single player fps games.

I can agree that those are not too competitive games though.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

In my opinion the shot should originate from the actual weapon itself and not behind the player's viewpoint (like in too many other games such as Tribes 4). Save the 13th post in this thread, I see nothing wrong here. Every game in the Unreal series save maybe Unreal 2 (which sucked anyway) had it, as did GoldenEye 64, Perfect Dark, all of the Turoks save maybe the one done by Disney (which I haven't gotten around to playing), Riddick, Counter Strike... the list goes on. This is how it's been since the dawn of 3D first person shooters, just wasn't as noticeable because by default the weapons were centered on-screen. Hell even some 2D first person shooters that didn't have your weapon centered such as Dark Forces had it.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Well you name single player fps'es while Xonotic is mostly MP.

Perfect Dark is arguably one of the very best multiplayer first person shooters of all time. Assault on Dark Athena also had a good multiplayer, Turok 2 had an awesome multiplayer on N64 and PC, and Turok Rage Wars was almost strictly multiplayer. Most of the Unreal series is heavily multiplayer focused as well, especially the Tournament and Championship titles.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Are you seriously naming N64 titles now..

(11-06-2012, 06:03 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: In my opinion the shot should originate from the actual weapon itself and not behind the player's viewpoint (like in too many other games such as Tribes 4). Save the 13th post in this thread, I see nothing wrong here. Every game in the Unreal series save maybe Unreal 2 (which sucked anyway) had it, as did GoldenEye 64, Perfect Dark, all of the Turoks save maybe the one done by Disney (which I haven't gotten around to playing), Riddick, Counter Strike... the list goes on.
None of the Unreal or Counterstrike series had the issue I am getting at here. Are you thinking of something else maybe? See the picture in post #3, the point isn't that the location the rail beam fires from looks retarded but the fact it goes right there where crosshair is pointing at, even goes through the wall to get there. Now back to post #1, second picture, the nex beam fires from the actual weapon itself. I would be totally fine with it if the nex would hit the spot I was aiming at, but it hits the ground instead. If I fire like this with mortar I would be killing myself. If there's enemy in below level he would be able to shoot the farthest spot of my hitbox while I'm unable to do the same. This inflicts the map layout and the tactics one decides to make. Why does it have to be so, tell me. My feeble brains cannot comprehend.

(11-06-2012, 04:41 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: I can't check currently, but I'm fairy sure Quake 1 and 2 and Unreal got that.
Oh yes, Quake 2 has that. And that's one of the many things that made me think the game was imperfect. Do you perhaps like shooting yourself in the feet accidentally?

The nex beam in your first ('the good') screenshot also hits the ground. It does not hit where the crosshair is. I fail to see how that can be the 'good' example.

The point in that screenshot was that floor gets in the way on the other side and in the other side it doesn't. And you're right. What you see there however is the crosshair bounce effect, it did hit there where I aimed.

I don't think we should judge which behavior is better, it's mostly a matter of preference. My suggestion would be to keep the vanilla game as it is and make the adjustment for XPM, which is used by the competitive players - this way mostly everybody will be happy.

OK SmileCythe thans for clearing that up. Then I just misinterpreted that screenshot.

And I think Cyber Killer is right. So if there is a bug stopping the XPM config from supporting this, it should be fixed like any other bug.

The reason for cl_gunalign to not work other than centered with shootfromeye is because it wouldn't look logical. I complained for years about this, don't think it will be fixed, it is not considered to be a bug.

Most older games definitely did not have that "feature". If your crosshair shows it's supposed to go thru, it will go thru corners/over ledges/openings and hit where you crosshair is pointed at as long as the projectile size fits the opening (and I think quake projectiles don't even have a size, at least in quakeworld, which allows for nearly pixel precise aiming).

And I've never heard anybody say it's confusing, if anything it's LESS confusing. The game might be 3d but you're still looking at a flat picture with no real sense of depth (or perspective?), your only point of reference for distance is the size of objects, it's the same as walking around with one eye closed. Until everyone plays with 3d glasses and inside the game you can see your own body to get a real sense of scale and distance, shootfromeye still remains what makes most sense.

Your point of reference when aiming is the crosshair, not the gun model where at many angles it's nearly impossible in gameplay situation to tell how close it is to obstacles when turning around a corner or looking down ledges. It DOES look better and is more logical that the beam is aligned to the tip of weapon model, but in gameplay situation that would be better suited as a visual effect. You're looking at a moving picture and moving a mouse, not holding a real weapon in your hands in real life. Hitting or not hitting a target (in the sense of of the projectile/beam traveling towards target) would make more sense to always be determined by crosshair assuming there is no obstruction in front of it. Unless there's a an invisible wall or something.

So, what do you suggest in the end? You want the starting point of the physical projectile to be at the eye, but where would you want the visual effect to start?

@nifrek
From defaultXonotic.cfg: set g_shootfromeye 0 "shots are fired from your eye/crosshair; visual gun position can still be influenced by cl_gunalign 1 and 2"

Same for g_shootfromcenter.. so it seems that it is supposed to work.
And wb Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] [QoL] Disable hearing your own SFXs so you can focus more on what matters lerh050 0 630 09-06-2022, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lerh050
  [BUG] Sniper Rifle Can Shoot Through Walls Space Ace 3 2,811 03-09-2018, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Julius
  [SUGGESTION] Can we have fireball traps like in quake? Fireball 12 13,951 09-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Last Post: catfish
  [SUGGESTION] A way achievements can be handled (and go social) Minkovsky 7 6,833 08-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Ideas for Xonotic website to get more social unfa 13 15,854 04-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Friskydingo
  [SUGGESTION] Possibility to get own ip:port through RCON? Akari 0 2,750 11-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Last Post: Akari
  [SUGGESTION] Request: Can someone remake Darkzone CTF for Xonotic? Dokujisan 17 19,220 11-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Last Post: vede
  [SUGGESTION] Assault - who wants, and who can map? kojn^ 18 12,980 09-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Last Post: kojn^
  [SUGGESTION] The more you kill, the brighter you get Dokujisan 20 16,601 09-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Last Post: MintOX
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic should get a Flattr account! paperclips 4 5,579 06-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Last Post: paperclips