Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightning Gun Concepts

So I've been designing the Lightening Gun, here is a concept. Any thoughts?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Whoa, that's super cool, and it seems to have more plausible design that some other lightning guns
[Image: 2386.png] Professional noob...
of...
Paradox Space...

i feel like the basics are there, but it needs to be refined.
Also: how is the second half of the prod suspended?

edit: also i'm glad your still alive hutch

edit 2: I feel like the weapon's construction should appear elegant and streamlined, given the elegance of the weapon itself. I feel like nexuiz's weapon design reflects elegance very well and portal's aesthetic fits too. The current minstanex model is also good.

Very nice I have to say!

It's a good piece of work but honestly I would prefer a more mature look for the weapons. It has the same toy-gun look like the rocket launcher for example. Nevertheless I'm glad that anyone is still working on anything.

It'd be better without the little nozzle at the end of the gun to be honest, so the electricity just comes out of the triangular part instead. Makes it much more beefy that way.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Looks pretty nice.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Again nice peace of artwork! Thank you!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(11-08-2012, 03:53 AM)kojn^ Wrote: It'd be better without the little nozzle at the end of the gun to be honest, so the electricity just comes out of the triangular part instead. Makes it much more beefy that way.

Would you be surprised to know that the rod at the end is an essential part of a "real life" lightning gun?

In the future, when weaponized I'd expect them to simply make the coil smaller rather than make it appear like more a conventional weapon
of...
Paradox Space...

Thanks for the feedback Smile I should have put this in my initial post, here are the mockups for how it fires:

Quick fire mode, pin extends and connects the two rods:

.gif   LGA-PriFire.gif (Size: 126.22 KB / Downloads: 675)

Charged up large shot, rear rod slams forward and connects, expending all energy at once:

.gif   LGA-SecFire.gif (Size: 83.92 KB / Downloads: 664)

s1lencer: I haven't got to the suspended rod part yet, though it'll just be some tricky stuff inside the front triangle.

asyyy: I think the toy look you're referring to comes from the skin, I'll have a look a different texture design. Having to incorporate two team colours makes it difficult though because they always end up too colourful in my opinion.

Awesome, though other models will need animations as well to be consistent with that. Who's up to task?

That's brilliant.

From the first post I thought the electricity would just arch from rod 1 to rod 2 inside the barrel, but your mockups are even cooler Big Grin
of...
Paradox Space...

I'll take a crack at making the model. Watch this space (maybe)

UPDATE 1 - Boxing Day

Alright, I've started work on the model. The thickness of the gun is all wrong and the wire looks atrocious - but other than that its pretty good stuff.

That's cool Faraday Smile
Do you have some kind of portfolio btw?

(12-25-2012, 08:16 AM)asyyy Wrote: That's cool Faraday Smile
Do you have some kind of portfolio btw?

No, I'm a noob modeler and its just a hobby really. Also I'm 16 and its not really part of my life plan I don't have any qualifications or anything.

so... Faraday makes TeslaGun Big Grin sounds promising

Good work Faraday!

Things to think about:

-You should be using an array to create the wire.
-Try to put more detail into the front of the gun than stock/butt of the gun, most people won't see the butt of the gun at any point.
-I think the poly count limit for xonotic weapons is around 4000 tris

(12-27-2012, 03:26 PM)s1lence Wrote: Good work Faraday!

Things to think about:

-You should be using an array to create the wire.
-Try to put more detail into the front of the gun than stock/butt of the gun, most people won't see the butt of the gun at any point.
-I think the poly count limit for xonotic weapons is around 4000 tris

An array? Huh
I'm spending my time working on the front barrel - making those holes is hard!
I'm at about 2000 tris at the moment, and I don't think I'm going to run short.

EDIT: I'm not sure about this but should I use materials or just textures or both?

UPDATE 2 : 28/12/12

I've almost finished the model - I don't know what to add or improve apart from the coils so I need your help to further improve it.

(12-28-2012, 09:26 AM)Faraday Wrote: An array? Huh
if you extude a cylinder along a NURBS curve using array it will give you a constant width wire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crUSzz7HR80

Alright, I think I'm almost done in the modelling department. I'll subsurf the wire and coils if that will work.

wires don't need subsurf. polygons will not be easily visible.

Also i think the back face of the protuberance over the stock of the gun is supposed to be a scope/ammo gauge. If that's true then the back face should be merged into a single n-gon and possibly have a small bezel.

also the foregrip/capacitor thing looks significantly more phallic than in the concept art.

(12-29-2012, 12:05 PM)s1lence Wrote: wires don't need subsurf. polygons will not be easily visible.

Also i think the back face of the protuberance over the stock of the gun is supposed to be a scope/ammo gauge. If that's true then the back face should be merged into a single n-gon and possibly have a small bezel.

also the foregrip/capacitor thing looks significantly more phallic than in the concept art.

1. Alright

2. I'll merge it down.

3. Ew - I'll fix it if you want.

Looks good ...

Just FYI:
Wiktionary Wrote:Noun
lightening (plural lightenings)
(medicine) The sensation caused by the descent of the uterus into the pelvic cavity before the onset of labour

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re-Lightning Maps Wolf-Snipe 3 2,707 04-18-2020, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Wolf-Snipe
Thumbs Up We need our own Big Freakin' Gun Harmata 9 6,383 04-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Harmata
  [PSA] Lighting is NOT spelled "lightNing" Mr. Bougo 14 11,463 12-28-2012, 02:30 AM
Last Post: aa
  Duelmap concepts Debugger 6 5,296 05-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Last Post: Debugger
  Minigun/machine gun model kojn^ 2 4,239 04-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Morphed
  new gun model: electro theShadow 30 34,230 01-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune
  New Ray gun F1rst16 7 4,980 09-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste