Create an account

Poll: How about it?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Possible to make it work
12.50%
1 12.50%
Impossible to make it work
0%
0 0%
Not worth implementing
12.50%
1 12.50%
I'd like to hear it Smile
75.00%
6 75.00%
I don't care about that
0%
0 0%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Realtime DSP usage like LADSPA

Music 
It's about implementing usage of LADSPA plugins for realtime digital sound processing of the in-game sound and music.

Some examples of usage:
  • underwather: sound is pushed through a lowpass filter and a subtele plate reverb (excluding music and radio voices)
  • player stunned after near-by explosion: sound through a lowpass filter and amplifier that turns down everything
  • strength active - high tones turned up, music get a lowpass filter and full-wet reverb and amplifier to turn it down so player can focus on the action
  • death: long decay reverb fading from dry to wet along with screen getting red and black - you're no more, dude Wink
  • environment reverbs: depending on room size and materials different reverb is being applied in certian areas for all local sounds like shots, pain, pickups, footsteps (from Bathroom to Mountains)

I don't know how the actual sound engine works, so I don't know how hard it would be to implement such a thing... What do you think, guys?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Implementing a ladspa host is rather easy. Dunno how easy it would be to

a] add it to the engine

b] make the use dynamic depending on environment
He can talk the talk, but can he caulk the caulk?

(05-02-2010, 01:01 PM)lda17h Wrote: Implementing a ladspa host is rather easy.
Sounds good Smile
(05-02-2010, 01:01 PM)lda17h Wrote: Dunno how easy it would be to make the use dynamic depending on environment
Maybe some simple raytracing at map compilation time could make that work. BSP is dividing map into rooms, right? We find the center of each room and repeat for all: cast say: 1000 rays in all directions, check the distances that they hit.
The larger is the avarage value - the longer is the reverb's decay
The larger distribution of the values - the less of damping.
If some really distant hits are being detected - echo (delay effect) might be applied.

Some rays might hit the map borders - like in space maps or outdoor ones (the sky) - precentage of rays that hit nothing determinates the dry/wet ratio. Simple Smile

I think this would require a lot of testing but the effect - automatic enviroment sound response: whoa!-whoa-whoa-whoa...
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

souds pretty cool
but what would that do to cpu shitz?

(05-03-2010, 09:26 AM)chooksta Wrote: but what would that do to cpu shitz?
We'll see Big Grin I don't think that would be lagging the game. Of corse - that would be optional for those who don't want (or can) waste their CPU time.

There was a suggestion back in the day when Samual implemented the blur/damage-blur effect. He said he would look into it, but being as I understand it, a busy guy, I dunno but, I think he just never got around to it. I long to embrace the day when the wiki arrives. It would be so much easier to keep track of stuff.

It would be cool though with sound getting weird as you die because of lack of oxygen/energy/whatever makes your body tick. Or as you suggest impaired hearing when stuff really goes badooom, when shot in the head. Especially if that was combined with grayscale-weird color/image distortions/other videofilters.. but thats another thread.

Game play could also be affected, if lets say having "glad/lucky to be alive-really low health one stray bullet=dead" gave one a bit of "increased paranoid hearing" aka hearing footsteps more clearly/healthspawns.

It would be awesome if sometimes, just sometimes... when you had really low health for a really long time, started hearing footsteps behind you. A really faint shotgun blast far away, a lone mg shell klinkering to the ground beside you.. stuff like that. :3

(05-04-2010, 07:29 AM)paperclips Wrote: I long to embrace the day when the wiki arrives. It would be so much easier to keep track of stuff.
Isn't the wiki working yet? Oh...

(05-04-2010, 07:29 AM)paperclips Wrote: Or as you suggest impaired hearing when stuff really goes badooom, when shot in the head.
Shot in a head would mean for me complete "no-sound" and just hum for hours (in reality) for seconds (in the game). Mono sound interesting idea.

(05-04-2010, 07:29 AM)paperclips Wrote: Game play could also be affected, if lets say having "glad/lucky to be alive-really low health one stray bullet=dead" gave one a bit of "increased paranoid hearing" aka hearing footsteps more clearly/healthspawns.

(05-04-2010, 07:29 AM)paperclips Wrote: It would be awesome if sometimes, just sometimes... when you had really low health for a really long time, started hearing footsteps behind you. A really faint shotgun blast far away, a lone mg shell klinkering to the ground beside you.. stuff like that. :3
Psychodelic stuff, I like it Smile Those little cool things sometimes makes it a classic or not some years later Smile

All in all - the sound layer is a place where a lot of awesome things are still just waiting to be done Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I would like to use Xonotic's music in my Red Eclipse fork 98digger 3 5,716 08-23-2015, 11:49 PM
Last Post: machine!