Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brainstorming: Powerup Models

[Image: 0_92a8f_c8e7e14d_XXL]
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

(10-06-2012, 05:37 AM)rocknroll237 Wrote:
(10-06-2012, 04:30 AM)asyyy Wrote: I also like the idea to keep the Katana symbol as homage to Nexuiz.

So do I. It shows players where we came from. It's a nice little reference.

I agree with this aswell. I like the japanese symbols too.

I think the devs are pretty clear that this is no longer possible, unfortunately.

I would suggest some Ultra high tech large armor, in purple for the armor powerup, and a ultra high tech big blue cell for the quad/streangth one.

[Image: spinach.gif]
[Image: 230.png]

I too also liked the look of th kanji, hirigana, katakana or whicherever one it was so what about keeping the use of japanese lettering but instead have a translation of 'xonotic', 'phoenix', 'ashes', 'power', 'defense' etc...?

I thought that the Nexiuz sign was a "n" letter.

If we are going tohave a lot of hyroglyphs as powerups, how will people tell them apart? Simply giving them divVerent colours is pointless, becouse we could have used coloured spheres( or even cubes, they have less polygons).
Perups should be understandable items, like cells, armours, shields, etc.

I will try to model a high tech cell, my previous on had ~12 000 polygons.

(10-23-2012, 02:14 PM)aa Wrote: I thought that the Nexiuz sign was a "n" letter.

If we are going tohave a lot of hyroglyphs as powerups, how will people tell them apart? Simply giving them divVerent colours is pointless, becouse we could have used coloured spheres( or even cubes, they have less polygons).
Perups should be understandable items, like cells, armours, shields, etc.

I will try to model a high tech cell, my previous on had ~12 000 polygons.

Learning what something does by using it? Besides it would only be the two powerups. I was just listing possible options of what to translate as decidely some kanji looks cooler than others. Just to clarify; I never said or implied to have "lots of hyroglyphs" that's just aa's misinterpretation of what I said

Preferably we'd like to avoid a dependency on color, as there are situations where color blind people can be at a massive disadvantage in this case. We've updated the HUD and playermodel system as best to help fix this kind of problem, by giving multiple visual cues in different ways and allowing players to set enemy colors manually on the client code.

It also depends on interpretation of word "lot". For me it can be as low as 3.

I guess we who like other things will just have to make our own little override pk3.

Can't you hold the complaints until the model is actually decided? Tongue

armor: golen material for the big armor model with a golden-glowing hexagon pattern

or a golden shield symbol with cubemap reflection:
[Image: glossy-shield-icons-prev1257220421848w0F.jpg]

strength: skull with weapons(golden+cubemap reflection) behind and red glowing eyes
or a "x4" symbol also golden etc

speed: i made an image for explaining my idea:

[Image: sprintf.png]

the effect under the foot yellow transparent and slightly glowing the foot itself silver with cubemap reflection

invis white transparent glowing:
[Image: invis.png]

i think those ideas are good because most people would associate the function of the powerup by seeing them

Yeah, good!

I had found this pictures for inspiration for the shield, but i wasn't sure to post them. Now its time to wake this topic up:

[Image: energy-shield.jpg] [Image: Goku_Energy_Shield.jpg]

[Image: aura1.thumbnail.jpg] [Image: shield2.jpg] [Image: 5640444-green-energy-shield-vector-based...ground.jpg]

[Image: nyb1qjzFf7-10.png] [Image: nyb1qjzFf7-8.png]
The mind is like a parachute, it only works, if it is open!

Old models are the best, I'll be making sure my copy retains the japanese glyphs. What is your feeling on the balance?
You can attach a big old sphere to the player entity that has it's solid type set to be collide-with-the-model, so ... heh your images could become true with alittle code, would be a diff pickup or maybe a magical spell though... circle of protection blue!

I thought Nexuiz used Chinese symbols, not Japanese. Anyway, having stumbled onto this topic I think that the best suggestion one I've seen is one by s1lence. Use the ring part of the Xonotic icon to represent invulnerability and then use a phoenix (maybe one that more resembles the one on the previous logo with some particles showering off of it) with the same head as the one used on the icon for strength. As far as animation is concerned, I think the following would really look awesome if doable: the ring could simply be a rotating model that flashes out a blue aura when picked up while the phoenix could burst into flames and fly straight up into the air while fading out (it would be completely faded out before it gets any higher than say 15-20 feet).

(10-22-2012, 01:20 PM)Mario Wrote: [Image: spinach.gif]

On second thought, this would also work well for strength lol
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Editing Pick-Up Models NoClue 3 1,179 11-25-2022, 06:17 AM
Last Post: NoClue
  List of Free/GPL Models & Programs AllegedlyDead 7 14,327 10-26-2021, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Dares
  How to import Weapon Models? NoClue 6 3,490 12-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Julius
Brick New Shotgun and Uzi models MirceaKitsune 6 4,157 07-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Last Post: _para
  [NEED HELP] NetRadiant Models Not Working 3agle427 7 5,381 06-26-2020, 11:40 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
Rainbow [NEED HELP] Player models. Import to blender, export to xonotic. Snekky 1 3,713 04-19-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  [NEED HELP] Texture problems in MD3 exported models (Quake 3) xLuca91x 9 6,700 03-31-2020, 03:13 PM
Last Post: xLuca91x
  Renamon & Krystal player models MirceaKitsune 37 59,981 12-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Mario
  Seeking artist for new character models MarisaG 0 2,300 10-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Last Post: MarisaG
  Request for Models Cortez666 6 7,357 07-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Cortez666