Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A huge outdor map... maybe

Just started some big thing. There is a big underground complex as shown on the drawing. Maybe that could be a base for some huge map? CTF maybe? Or ONS?
[BLEND]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

mm nice, a vehicle map will be needed eventually. If you want it to be a ctf or carnage map likely to get in game, symmetry will be important Smile
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

(05-03-2010, 03:35 AM)Cuinnton Wrote: mm nice, a vehicle map will be needed eventually. If you want it to be a ctf or carnage map likely to get in game, symmetry will be important Smile
What do you mean by 'carnage'?
Symmetry: well this is trurly asymetrical Smile so I think it may be working for ONS maybe or just a big deathmatch map. There are some asymetrical CTF maps anyway, maybe that would work too.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

What would be cool is a garage for vehicles. You need to press a button to open the door, and inside is a shiney new spiderbot.
Though, vehicles are, of course, not ready.

Well vehicles will be not ready for a lot longer if mappers don't produce inclusion-quality maps that can physically support them, before their code is ready. So we should really encourage this kind of effort, methinks.

Plus vehicles could very well be released with 1.0 in the end anyway. Already this version is laden with a hefty to do list, so it isn't unreasonable that by the time it is ready to ship, so will vehicles.
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

(05-03-2010, 06:09 PM)Roanoke Wrote: What would be cool is a garage for vehicles. You need to press a button to open the door, and inside is a shiney new spiderbot.
Though, vehicles are, of course, not ready.
It is my dream to have some cool vehicles in this game and then - combine real (not on foot) racing with destruction derby with team deathmatch! Big Grin Just a dream...

Maybe surfaces sould have a special flag to indicate that are open areas.

The type of lighting that the game use is Ok for cave's and interiors, but looks strange on the exterior. The tiny iluminated area that follows rockets don't make much sense. On exteriors you don't want lightmaps, you want good shadows proyected on the maps and objects.

A rocket engine doesn't waste some of its energy as light energy even outside? I never knew that Tei. Sure, it would be diminished outdoors during the daytime, but I think a rocket would still illuminate some dark areas as it flew by regardless.

Unfa, for a big outdoorsy map check out Evergreen. Its actually a remake of a map from Tribes 2, it should be able to give you some good ideas as far as designing for vehicles.
This is my laser, this is my gun,
This is for plinking, this is for FUN!

BrFJ: wtf with the jumpad
BrFJ: rofl
vael: oh, you'll wtf with the... a few more times don't worry

[Image: badge.png]

I can't download the Evergreen by Spelio. Maybe that is the reason: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=384

Yes the map was hosted on Omploader. Dont worry though I do still have all the files for it here. If anyone wants them just PM me Smile
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

Sep, thanks for that map and thanks for those youtube tutorials! You win 8672536 Internets!
This is my laser, this is my gun,
This is for plinking, this is for FUN!

BrFJ: wtf with the jumpad
BrFJ: rofl
vael: oh, you'll wtf with the... a few more times don't worry

[Image: badge.png]

(05-04-2010, 10:22 AM)Vael Wrote: A rocket engine doesn't waste some of its energy as light energy even outside? I never knew that Tei. Sure, it would be diminished outdoors during the daytime, but I think a rocket would still illuminate some dark areas as it flew by regardless.

Is not important what it does, because you can't know it. You have to trusth your eyes, and your eyes will not see the light from a rocket shot in a open area in light day. Hell.. the light from the rocket will blind your vision a litte.

Only on a cave on really dark night with a rocket fliing really low, you will see the type of lighting that lightmaps on nexuiz create. Maybe another approach to fix thiss, is make some light sources create not shadows, nor iluminate surfaces, only have a halo.