Create an account

Poll: Which OS do you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Windows
21.28%
20 21.28%
Linux
64.89%
61 64.89%
Mac OS
11.70%
11 11.70%
Unix
0%
0 0%
Solaris
0%
0 0%
BSD
0%
0 0%
Aros
0%
0 0%
Haiku
0%
0 0%
BeOS
0%
0 0%
other (please specify)
2.13%
2 2.13%
Total 94 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Which OS do you prefer?

I'm happy with Ubuntu 9.10 x86. I dual boot Windows 7 for the days when I desire to play half life.
Will probably update to 10.04 (64bit) a few days or so after the release.
Parents of young organic life forms are warned that towels can be harmful, if swallowed in large quantities.

I use Ubuntu 64 for my desktop (Awesome WM), Gentoo and Debian for servers, and Windows when I absolutely have to (in a virtual machine of course). For a while I was switching between Gnome and Xfce. Awesome is just awesome. Ubuntu 64 has a few problems with audio, as well as retaining modules between kernel updates. Other than that, it's flawless.
Latest obsession.

yup anyway 10.04 comming as a fast,good and nice version without GIT,we see Smile

I am using windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 x86 dual boot like wise Will . I like windows 7 because of this features Document libraries , Drag and snap windows , Media streamer playback ,Tunes support in Windows Media Playe , DirectAccess , Remote apps that feel like a desktop etc.

WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64bit!!!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(04-19-2010, 08:03 AM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64bit!!!

Linux: Compiz Fusion rulezz Smile

I prefer user friendly yet customizable Linux distros for the simple fact that they stay out of my way and work with me instead of against me.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Linux distributions are starting to be a little commercial, so I fear that in the near future to lose a significant position in the world of GNU and opensource Sad

(04-19-2010, 09:22 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: I prefer user friendly yet customizable Linux distros for the simple fact that they stay out of my way and work with me instead of against me.

You mean like Gentoo? Big Grin
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

I´m using Linux (and sometimes Windows...)
depends on what I´m doing...

Linux is cool Cool

Quote:Linux distributions are starting to be a little commercial, so I fear that in the near future to lose a significant position in the world of GNU and opensource
Do you think so? You can pay for linux but you just will get some extra features. I think linux will be open source for ever Wink

(04-19-2010, 02:42 PM)Debugger Wrote: I´m using Linux (and sometimes Windows...)
depends on what I´m doing...

Linux is cool Cool

Quote:Linux distributions are starting to be a little commercial, so I fear that in the near future to lose a significant position in the world of GNU and opensource
Do you think so? You can pay for linux but you just will get some extra features. I think linux will be open source for ever Wink

it would be very great if linux best opensource in the world and better than microsoft /but he is! Smile /, what do you think of Win7? In my opinion is it not better like XP but better looks as XP, and it is not a revolution in the field systems

(04-19-2010, 11:58 AM)naryl Wrote:
(04-19-2010, 09:22 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: I prefer user friendly yet customizable Linux distros for the simple fact that they stay out of my way and work with me instead of against me.

You mean like Gentoo? Big Grin

Too lazy to compile a Gentoo. I'm using Linux Mint 64 right now with pulseaudio disabled.

Oh wait.

(04-13-2010, 09:06 AM)Aleator Wrote: Ubuntu 32bit because is fast and good looking. Plus, it has a large community that is ready to jump in and help you out when you have problems and it has good hardware support. Smile

can i ask you? Smile ,what is the difference other than appearance of mint vs ubuntu? because it seems to me like mint better work with a Nexuiz game and network communication in game...

Mint is a modified Ubuntu. It comes with most of the codecs and stuff that standard Ubuntu doesn't, but it also has some of the bloated parts of Ubuntu taken out. Out of the box it also has the window manager set up like WIndows and the usual style you see on a KDE desktop, though I hate those layouts and just modified it to be like it is on standard Ubuntu.

Oh wait.

I usually run Mac OS X for sake of stability and security (don't worry, I'm not the kind of Mactard who will try to convert people like a fiery southern preacher).

I also run Linux for Compiz, stability, and security.

Basically everything that's not Windows Big Grin

Windows XP SP3 on desktop, Ubuntu 9.10 on laptop.

I still use Windows for two reasons:

1) It's better than Ubuntu for gaming (not for anything else xD);
2) I can't install any Linux distro on that damn computer!!! I don't know for what reason... every distro freezes... Sad

i used and contributed to, ubuntu exclusively for like 2 years. Then I got an iMac. Many have called me traitor, some have called me sellout, but I like my virtual machines (ubuntu 10.04 beta, ubuntu 9.10, openolaris and kubuntu 9.10) for a lot of things. Windows? meh, i lived with it since 3.11, too afraid of switching until i went to fedora in '06 and ubuntu in '08. I'm happy now. I can play games fully supported in mac OSX snow leopard, soon we will have steam too, althoug i hope it comes to linux (rumours say it will, with evidence). I'd like to live entirely on linux but i feel that kde and more so, gnome let me down on aesthetics and usability. Those are the top things mac OSX excels at. Most software on my mac is, however, open source/ free software.

[Image: sig2.png]
Check out my site: www.alisdairrankine.com!

(04-26-2010, 02:03 PM)MaidenBeast Wrote: Windows XP SP3 on desktop, Ubuntu 9.10 on laptop.

I still use Windows for two reasons:

1) It's better than Ubuntu for gaming (not for anything else xD);
2) I can't install any Linux distro on that damn computer!!! I don't know for what reason... every distro freezes... Sad

Steam is coming to Linux AND most games can be run properly with WINE. With Steam coming to Linux, more developers will be encouraged to develop games for this set of operating systems and since so many games on Steam are already WINE compatible, we will probably see some developers use WINE to "port" a lot of their current games over until they start cranking out ones that run natively since WINE handles quite a few games just as well as Windows (and in some cases better, UT99, WoW, and EVE run better in WINE and EVE officially supports WINE and WoW has patches specific to it) does after you tweak the prefix it's installed on.

Oh wait.

I use windows as my main machine, purely because I've worked with it all my life and I can get things done faster on it than on Linux.

I've had training in Linux, introductions to samba, inet.d, basic backups, custom LAMP settings. That sort of stuff.

But I still like windows better.

Click click and it works.
Sure apt-get is nice and ubuntu has a nice synaptic packet manager. But you want a custom install? Or perhaps Bleeding Edge? Good luck, you'll need a couple of days, if you succeed at all.

On Windows? Click, click. And it works. Huzzah.

Also, I like the visual look of windows a lot better than just about any X-window manager I've ever seen.
[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(05-01-2010, 09:45 PM)Silverburn Wrote: On Windows? Click, click. And it works. Huzzah.

Good luck with clicking your way through to the bleeding edge xonotic Wink
- microsoft windows

(05-02-2010, 06:55 AM)naryl Wrote:
(05-01-2010, 09:45 PM)Silverburn Wrote: On Windows? Click, click. And it works. Huzzah.

Good luck with clicking your way through to the bleeding edge xonotic Wink
Obvious troll.
[Image: di-712770583645.png]

<offtopic²>I know one person who hates Lisp so much, the moments he sees a piece of software written in Lisp he starts whining about it's authors being trolls, Franz Inc. included</offtopic>
- microsoft windows

Mac OS X 10.6 on the desktop, Windows 7 on the netbook.

Maybe a poll for this thread would do a good job?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Which operating system do you prefer?

Edit: Recent stats
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operatin...px?qprid=8
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
4m038105 - Be the change.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Quake 3 Client should I use? Beagle 6 8,420 07-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  Which Mouse? Ch4mp 24 18,966 06-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  You know you've played too much Xonotic when... [AP]Sniperz 45 42,523 10-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Last Post: asyyy
  In which people do not argue about ammo types Harmata 41 35,317 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  You'll thank me when you read click on this thread...trust me .Danny. 20 26,637 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Which headset? Maddin 19 18,554 07-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Last Post: aport
  what would you do if you were in my situation with this laptop jacob 13 11,237 02-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Last Post: tZork
  HTC Evo 3D vs. Samsung Galaxy S 2 - which one? Minkovsky 8 8,538 08-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Last Post: edh
  Which antivirus? Minkovsky 17 13,174 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Friskydingo