Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be counted in the atheist census

Smile 
For those who may be interested and consider themselves atheist, agnostic, humanist, godless or in any other way irreligious, you can now stand up and be counted in the atheist census:

http://www.atheistcensus.com/
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Eh, internet petitions never work anyway. But oh well, I put down my Hancock (or rather, my email).

What is this for? Why "stand up and be counted"?

EDIT: Evropi, this does not even appear to be a petition.

They probably want to form a new religious community of the irreligious and count their members.

Coincidentially this brings back fond memories of very amusing discussions I had with an agnostic that raged about missionarism of the common religions and at the same time was keen on arguing with everyone why agnosticism is the only really acceptable ideology.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Why does it matter that all "atheists" who uses internet gets counted?

(12-20-2012, 11:53 AM)machine! Wrote: Why does it matter that all "atheists" who uses internet gets counted?

from the FAQ:

Atheist Census aims to build a picture of the world’s atheists – where they are, their genders and ages, their education and religious (if any) background – and use that information to demonstrate the presence and importance of atheists in societies around the world.

statistics statistics statistics

also
Quote:"atheists"

despite the name 'atheist census', you're able to choose what title you prefer: atheist, agnostic, freethinker, humanist, secularist, rationalist, non-religious, etc.

although I think that calling it the atheist census might deter irreligious people who disagree with the word from answering the census.

(12-20-2012, 05:15 PM)s1lence Wrote: from the FAQ:

Atheist Census aims to build a picture of the world’s atheists – where they are, their genders and ages, their education and religious (if any) background – and use that information to demonstrate the presence and importance of atheists in societies around the world.

statistics statistics statistics

That's very vague. What's the motivation behind this? Who collects the stats and what are they used for?

1: It's a census like any other.
2: Atheist Alliance International(AAI), a fairly reputable organization.
3: The data will be held by AAI and will be publicly available.

Thanks for posting edh.

Its interesting to see men make up 73.5% of those reporting in and Iran is listed among the top 10 countries, this is with less than 100k people participating though so far...
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

Sounds like a gang or a cult lmao rather than a religion this is funny.I would have no problem with this idea but all in all looks like they are trying to force the religion on people either join us or else and thats not how religions work.Religions are not a gang, they are a Belief that is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true.So all in all i believe in freedom it is your right to choose what your belief is just like Xonotic is GPL stop shoving this shit in peoples faces and making war this is what casues fights.

(12-21-2012, 01:29 AM)kidx Wrote: Sounds like a gang or a cult lmao rather than a religion this is funny.I would have no problem with this idea but all in all looks like they are trying to force the religion on people either join us or else and thats not how religions work.Religions are not a gang, they are a Belief that is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true.So all in all i believe in freedom it is your right to choose what your belief is just like Xonotic is GPL stop shoving this shit in peoples faces and making war this is what casues fights.

How can you tell it looks like a gang/cult? There's hardly any detail on this webpage. It's silly how many people say atheism sounds like a cult as soon as they hear of it. What is your definition of a cult?

That said, on the internet there's a lot of gang and cult mentality in atheism as well as in theism, indeed.

(12-20-2012, 05:59 PM)s1lence Wrote: 1: It's a census like any other.
2: Atheist Alliance International(AAI), a fairly reputable organization.
3: The data will be held by AAI and will be publicly available.

I'm used to census being done by academics who aren't particularly involved in the target population, though. And with the motives clearly exposed.

I'm not saying there's something shady going on here, but I find it a bit unusual, that's all.

(12-21-2012, 01:29 AM)kidx Wrote: Sounds like a gang or a cult lmao rather than a religion this is funny.I would have no problem with this idea but all in all looks like they are trying to force the religion on people either join us or else and thats not how religions work.Religions are not a gang, they are a Belief that is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true.So all in all i believe in freedom it is your right to choose what your belief is just like Xonotic is GPL stop shoving this shit in peoples faces and making war this is what casues fights.

Atheism is not a religion nor is it a gang/cult, it is simply the lack of belief in any deity nothing more. No ones forcing anyone to take part, if you identify your self as someone who doesn't believe in a god and want to take part in this census great, if not great.
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

Oh joy. Kidx is back and not just 'not pro at grammar' but also 'not pro at theology'. Atheism is the lack of belief and at what point does this try to force any belief on someone? My original post is merely that if you already identify yourself as any irreligious group, then if you are interested, take part in the survey. You can even select what kind of irreligious school of thought you hold.

By all means kidx tell us about your religious beliefs and how they are not a gang or a cult and not forcing them on anyone.

Some good results come out of this, not just in Iran. There is currently 1 registered atheist in the Vatican!

It's unfortunately not an entirely foolproof survey and does not give a balanced result because of this. It's already been commented that it is male dominated, probably because of how it has spread on the Internet rather than the demography of irreligious people.

(12-21-2012, 06:00 AM)edh Wrote: Oh joy. Kidx is back and not just 'not pro at grammar' but also 'not pro at theology'.
Wow, that's low.

(12-21-2012, 06:00 AM)edh Wrote: Atheism is the lack of belief and at what point does this try to force any belief on someone?
Some virulent atheists would beg to differ. He is making generalizations and you are countering with more generalizations.

(12-21-2012, 06:00 AM)edh Wrote: By all means kidx tell us about your religious beliefs and how they are not a gang or a cult and not forcing them on anyone.
You're assuming that he's following a religion. Why would you do that? He might as well be an agnostic or have independant spiritual beliefs.

(12-21-2012, 06:00 AM)edh Wrote: There is currently 1 registered atheist in the Vatican!
One point of data does not allow you to draw conclusions, what are the odds of this being an error?

(12-21-2012, 06:31 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: One point of data does not allow you to draw conclusions, what are the odds of this being an error?
As the margin of error is +/- 1, yes, quite likely. I was being a little sarcastic in a way as it would be a strange irony. Maybe someone is joking when they have filled this in.

lol 90,000 plus followers and this is not a gang/Cult lets see 90,000 followers in RL then we can decide all in one place.

(12-21-2012, 11:49 AM)kidx Wrote: lol 90,000 plus followers and this is not a gang/Cult lets see 90,000 followers in RL then we can decide all in one place.

Sorry, what? Is that your definition of a cult or a gang? Because if that is so, you are part of the cult of north american men (?)

Your reasoning is really troubling. I really don't know what I have to do to not be part of a cult, and that's quite worrisome.

(12-21-2012, 11:49 AM)kidx Wrote: lol 90,000 plus followers and this is not a gang/Cult lets see 90,000 followers in RL then we can decide all in one place.

Well seeing how on the UK 2011 census 14,097,229 out of a total of 56,075,912 people stated 'no religion', one might think that worldwide their might hundreds of millions who consider themselves irreligious.

14,097,229 is rather a lot more than 90,000, don't you think? That's just in the UK.

Please explain why you consider this a cult.

To parahrase a popular Dutch comedian: "He's an atheist, yes, but not a practising one."
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Pink Robot:
Haha! Hilarious! Big Grin

If it was made by some devoted atheists - it's funny, because it makes me think, they treat their non-belief as a form of religion.
Otherwise, it might just be a way to get many many e-mails and more data to sell this to some advertising company.
Information like these might be very useful in targeting advertisement...
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Atheism is mostly antitheism for the "hardcore" followers. It's pretty toxic so I don't get involved in any arguments.

Being none religious is one thing but going around making site like this is kinda dumb here are a few site already made that support what you atheist are looking for.

http://atheists.org/
http://atheistsunited.org/
http://www.atheistnexus.org/

Even know there is now gaming community's that are geard towards Aithiesim.Here is a suggestion if you guys believe in this so much why not make a gaming community for it like I did for Anti Racism?

(01-21-2013, 05:17 AM)kidx Wrote: Even know there is now gaming community's that are geard towards Aithiesim.Here is a suggestion if you guys believe in this so much why not make a gaming community for it like I did for Anti Racism?
Why on earth would you want to do that? Making a 'gaming community' for some cause doesn't appeal to me and misses the point somewhat. What about those people who aren't into gaming? If someone doesn't join your anti-racist gaming community does it imply that they are a racist? No. Maybe they just don't want to join your community or far more likely, have never heard of it.

Plus racism is not tolerated in most developed countries so it's not like you are spreading the word about fighting against racism. I'm pretty sure everyone who sees your 'community' is already aware of the fight against racism.

This is like those bumper stickers that say things like 'I leave room for cyclists' or 'I give way to horses'. Do these imply as some sort of guilt trip that those who do not display such a sticker are trying to run cyclists and horse riders over all of the time?

I'm not a fan of online communities in general and having mixed messages in one makes no sense. What about launching a Xonotic clan only for people called Brian? Or one for people who don't like cheese? Why on earth is it relevant to Xonotic that these traits are prescribed to?

(01-21-2013, 05:56 AM)edh Wrote:
(01-21-2013, 05:17 AM)kidx Wrote: Even know there is now gaming community's that are geard towards Aithiesim.Here is a suggestion if you guys believe in this so much why not make a gaming community for it like I did for Anti Racism?
Why on earth would you want to do that? Making a 'gaming community' for some cause doesn't appeal to me and misses the point somewhat. What about those people who aren't into gaming? If someone doesn't join your anti-racist gaming community does it imply that they are a racist? No. Maybe they just don't want to join your community or far more likely, have never heard of it.

Plus racism is not tolerated in most developed countries so it's not like you are spreading the word about fighting against racism. I'm pretty sure everyone who sees your 'community' is already aware of the fight against racism.

This is like those bumper stickers that say things like 'I leave room for cyclists' or 'I give way to horses'. Do these imply as some sort of guilt trip that those who do not display such a sticker are trying to run cyclists and horse riders over all of the time?

I'm not a fan of online communities in general and having mixed messages in one makes no sense. What about launching a Xonotic clan only for people called Brian? Or one for people who don't like cheese? Why on earth is it relevant to Xonotic that these traits are prescribed to?

Isn't casual racism a problem in the online gaming world, though? Your rebuttal is missing the context. (I'm not saying I disagree with it either.)

Christian Simracing
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa