Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be counted in the atheist census

(01-21-2013, 08:01 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Isn't casual racism a problem in the online gaming world, though?
It is but those who perpetrate it and calling people fags and all of the other childish insults that trolls use either don't care or don't associate what they're doing as racism. It won't work on them because they'll just say 'lol its just a joke lol im not a racist wtfbbqftw!'

People who use such insults are breaking the law regardless of them doing it online or not, plain and simple. Any admin in any right thinking country is obliged to take action.

PinkRobot Wrote:Christian Simracing
Notice how it's NASCAR and other forms of motor sport that just involve driving round in circles. Looks very American Christian right.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

(01-21-2013, 09:57 AM)edh Wrote: People who use such insults are breaking the law regardless of them doing it online or not, plain and simple. Any admin in any right thinking country is obliged to take action.

That's a good enough reason to speak out against such acts, don't you think? It doesn't seem too effective or even realistic to me to just sit around and wait, thinking that somebody obliged by law will end up fixing it all.

I'm also not sure why you're saying admins are obliged to take action. Why is it so?

(01-21-2013, 10:23 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I'm also not sure why you're saying admins are obliged to take action. Why is it so?

Owners of websites or any other space on the Internet are legally responsible for the content on them regardless of if they have created it or not. Anyone who administrates therefore has a responsibility to remove anything that could be illegal in the country that it is hosted.

What about live chat though? Surely that can't be moderated after the fact. Is there any legal precedent on live chats?

The answer is yes: http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=90...0021112211

The owner of the chat room would have to have policies in place and terms and conditions which members have to agree to detailing what law covers them. If someone then says something illegal then the chat room owner probably can't get in trouble. If however they haven't got terms and conditions in place regarding this, it could be said that they are at fault for not informing the offender which juristiction it falls under and hence which laws apply. People need to accept that anything posted in text form on the Internet is in a court of law, written and hence far more serious than anything said verbally. If someone was to in writing call someone 'gay ni**er fag' in many countries could end up in prison and this applies to Internet posts too.

That case was dismissed though.

OK, but there have been others and also on Facebook. Evidence from chat rooms has already been used many times to prove guilt of paedophiles who groom children online.