Create an account

Poll: Do you want a remake of 'Reslimed' for Xonotic?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes / Yes, but ...
80.00%
12 80.00%
No (Reason: See below)
6.67%
1 6.67%
I don't care...
13.33%
2 13.33%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reslimed for Xonotic

Maddin and I wanted to start a small mapping project this winter. Our goal was to remake the map 'reslimed' for xonotic during this winter (some of you might know this one from nexuiz). As you can see, this is no map release but rather a thread to gather some opinions and suggestions about this map.

Making a proper map requires a lot of work and a lot of time. I post this thread before we start mapping because I am not really sure if I want to put time in this as it could be wasted time if noone plays it at all:
There is a playable version of this map on some servers (if you dont have the map yet, download here: reslimed.pk3)
Some screenshots of the current one:
http://imgbin.org/images/10837.jpg
http://imgbin.org/images/10838.jpg
http://imgbin.org/images/10839.jpg

I played it already a few times against Mirio and I have to say that it is a very fast map in xonotic (it was quite balanced in nexuiz IMO). The player in control can often go aggressive against his opponent while not risking too much. However, gameplay wise it's a quite unique map compared to other duel/dm maps around.

So what I want here is to gather some input about the gameplay and the maps problems. What could be changed, what needs to be changed to have a nice game on this map?
It's also ok if you absolutely dislike this map (and the idea of its remake; for whatever reason), but please state then why.

What we could/would do is changing the map so its nicely playable in xonotic as well as a complete clean rebuild. If we put enough efford in it, the visuals might be one of our goals as well.
I hope to get enough constructive opinions about this here.

I would rather see a completely new map rather than a rehashing of something that's already been created. I think there is more gratification in being able to say ya I created this entire map including the layout rather than saying ya I took this layout and dressed it up and re-released it for another game.

(12-20-2012, 03:07 PM)foogs Wrote: I would rather see a completely new map rather than a rehashing of something that's already been created. I think there is more gratification in being able to say ya I created this entire map including the layout rather than saying ya I took this layout and dressed it up and re-released it for another game.

That's true, but you should consider that it's way more difficult to create a new layout/setting than using an existing one.

Personally I liked the gameplay of Reslimed in Nexuiz, if you think you can transfer this feeling to Xonotic, do it!
[Image: 11878.png]

Foogs whilst I'd agree, reslimed wasn't a massively played map in Nexuiz. Not because it wasn't good but because back then new maps didnt really get played so much in duel. Was one of my favourite maps in Nexuiz. Out of control you have electro, mg and some armour and access to the mortar/mh and cover also so it played well.

Will try get the other duel players to play it Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

yay nostalgia! (also i'm all for growing the map pool)

i'll upload the current version for us americans to pick over

It needs item placement changes for sure.

I did like this map, but I would also like to see new material. So... iunno.

It was one of my fav maps in Nexuiz too.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

well - the map is running on my server ... Cool

On old nexuiz times it was one of my favorite as well as the predecessor: >slimepit<

[Image: 11235_10.png]

Very nice Duel/DM maps but:
- Slimepit is more a Duel map - pretty small one
- Reslimed is more a DM map up to 6-8 players

GreetZ Su