Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about an Overkill-CTF tournament?

Question 
Hello everybody,

for quite some time now this idea has been going through my head: an Overkill-CTF tournament.

Since I began playing Xonotic, I've almost exclusively played in the [MoN]Overkill server. While it's really fun to play friendly games in ever changing teams, my competitive side has always wished for a tournament set in an overkill-modded server.

So here I ask: is anybody interested? I don't know which kind of tournament would be best, it would also depend on how many players are interested in participating.

Thanks for the answers.
Bye
[Image: 5132.png]

You could try to convicne some of the players on the server or talk with people at #mon.xonotic on QuakeNet.
Even if you'd do this, I still think it's very unlikely to gather enough players for such a tournament (see the replies in this thread). I guess even the organised community of this game would fail to do so.
If you still want to play comepetitively you should check out #xonotic.pickup (at QNet as well). It seems like we play the regular game only though.
[Image: 11878.png]

I think this would be great!

Just as long as the teams are balanced.

It seems that Overkill often suffers from unbalanced teams! Tongue

But I guess under proper tournament conditions (with someone overseeing the match) a balanced game could be achieved.

It would be worthwhile trying to encourage the overkill players who play on the server to join #xonotic.pickup, and ask whoever is in charge of the bot there to add overkill mode to it. More player's will help to support the channel and get more game's going also, that's also your best way of getting a potential Overkill tournament in the future.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

I agree with Kojn, try to get the players organized. Also you can be sure that at least some people in #xonotic.pickup would take part just for fun.

Why not, im not a overkill fan, but play for fun with pleasure. What format it will be, 5v5, 4v4, 3v3? Map pool?As all say before, join irc for help in that.
<machine> dude, i know i suck Smile
<OHSNAP! Mossepo> but you dont like finko-suck, u have potential to be good
Diomedes: Finko: You are the most intelligent guy in this community.

Hey replies! Big Grin

Yes, I gathered that here on the forums there is not much interest in such a thing. When I'll get back from the holidays I'll try to ask on Overkill directly and I'll point people (and myself) to the irc channel you guys suggested as well as the forums. Hopefully I'll pick up some players this way.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll update this thread if I succeed in combining something.
Bye Smile

P.S. - @Finko I don't know, it largely depends on the number of players. When enough people sign up - *if* they sign up - we'll vote for the format.

(12-27-2012, 04:58 AM)stdi Wrote: P.S. - @Finko I don't know, it largely depends on the number of players. When enough people sign up - *if* they sign up - we'll vote for the format.
Maybe make some overkill 5v5 ctf draft cup? I think its possible to gather players for at least 4 teams.
<machine> dude, i know i suck Smile
<OHSNAP! Mossepo> but you dont like finko-suck, u have potential to be good
Diomedes: Finko: You are the most intelligent guy in this community.

I can help you to organise it - message me in IRC. Wink

(12-27-2012, 08:20 AM)Mirio Wrote: I can help you to organise it - message me in IRC. Wink

Thank you Mirio!
Tomorrow I return home from the holidays (my hands are beginning to shake after so many days without playing xonotic Tongue ). I'll poll Overkill for the tournament and then I'll sure pm you Smile .
Thanks again and happy new year!

I would love to participtate if such a tournament comes into place. Big Grin
Maybe one could add some info about the tournament to the Overkill server's MOTD, so that players see it?

(12-26-2012, 04:38 PM)kojn^ Wrote: It would be worthwhile trying to encourage the overkill players who play on the server to join #xonotic.pickup, and ask whoever is in charge of the bot there to add overkill mode to it.

Well, I could just add some additional ctf modes like "ok5v5ctf" or something.

Of course, one would need an available server (ie one which is empty most of the time) with Overkill on it. And I guess that's the problem - did anyone actually set up an OK server like the MoN one? Afaik AcidBuddha had one running, maybe talk to him.
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

(12-31-2012, 03:20 PM)zykure Wrote: Of course, one would need an available server (ie one which is empty most of the time) with Overkill on it. And I guess that's the problem - did anyone actually set up an OK server like the MoN one? Afaik AcidBuddha had one running, maybe talk to him.

If no server can be found I could set one up on a spare laptop for the length of the tournament. I have a static IP, 10Mbs up and down connection with low latency, so as long as we play common maps it should suffice, I guess.

I talked to AcidBuddha, and he said that he could fire up the server again if it is needed for the tournament!
Keep in mind that we may have to decide on the rules in that case, since it is set up a little bit different than the [MoN] server, and there is no official set of rules for Overkill tournaments yet.

How about just a normal CTF tournament?...

(01-02-2013, 04:50 PM)Samual Wrote: How about just a normal CTF tournament?...

Working on it...

(01-02-2013, 04:50 PM)Samual Wrote: How about just a normal CTF tournament?...

A wild guess would be because ppl asking specifically for a overkill ctf tourney wants to play a overkill ctf tourney, not a vanilla ctf one. this is of course just a guess..

Sounds interesting, I hope I'll be there Smile

EDIT: are there any chance for a vehicle ctf cup? Big Grin
(00:30:26) jkwood: We have no bugs. We have random features! [IRC Sun, 21 March 2010]

That would be awsome Smile...I'll be there too ...Big Grin
[Image: 4565.png]

Good initiative stdi, count me in. Smile

This is gonna be totally awesome! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ranking Duel 1 Tournament | Xonotic League 20 Kotangens 3 2,555 01-08-2021, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
  ZenSports Duel Tournament for $200 PayPal kanyeshrayz 0 2,132 09-14-2020, 10:51 AM
Last Post: kanyeshrayz
  $150 1v1 Duel Tournament on 9/12 kanyeshrayz 2 2,571 09-13-2020, 01:45 PM
Last Post: _para
  ZenSports Xonotic Tournament kanyeshrayz 0 1,876 09-01-2020, 10:12 AM
Last Post: kanyeshrayz
  Which tournament would you like to see? Mirio 17 10,854 05-27-2020, 03:27 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Star DOXA TOURNAMENT - Xonotic 2020 DUEL CUP zeroql 24 16,071 04-26-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: zeroql
  Duel Instacup (1v1 Instagib tournament) kougi 18 11,873 10-31-2017, 04:30 PM
Last Post: kwakkiezalf
  Tournament donations Mirio 0 4,214 10-13-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  Tri-Mode Tournament #1 Mirio 70 59,654 10-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Last Post: doctor.fsh
  Tri-Mode Tournament #1 - Map voting (OVERKILL) Mirio 1 3,865 03-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Last Post: Mirio