Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CTF] Spatium

As always, Majki and JayWlker are right.

Majki: Your screenshots present amazing artwork, right. There are a few points I would like to state now:

1. While designing the Spatium I was aiming elsewhere. The main style problem occured because of change of concepts (from submarine like into space one and tried to use some from both) My map is rather dirty metal stuff (the one you usually see in the submarine). As like in the underwater constractions.
2. I'm just not able to make the map looks like your art samples from EVERY PERSPECTIVE. I don't have so much time and skill. There are of course others objectives like: I don't make shaders on my own and I'm not good as you with textures and colors.
3. I was going to make much more details, and use simplier metal textures, but (pls don't take me wrong) it was easier to use fully detailed textures (also better for performance and gameplay) then make plenty of crazy submarine/space details.
4. I wanted to finish the layout as fast as possible to let players test it. I need you to undertand that what you see isn't my visual haights, nor its finished or polished.
5. One more thing: My tool is Netradiant. that means: my options are very limited. (I know, I know:"Use Blender and other programs!" - I simply cannot!)
6.The engine sucks at realistic relfections.

I wanted to make playable, medium-sized CTF map, and to do so, we sometimes have to resign from amazing architectural wonders... Sure thing I wanted to make it look bloody awesome. But it won't be as nearly as beautifull as your screenshots. it would hurt the gameplay.

PS: Silence: You rly think so? ;(

Aww.

Dude:
[Image: xonotic20120914162313-00.jpg]
This looks cool. So... you are capable of amazing stuff.

Just don't hurry man Smile Nobody is chasing you. You have good layout, just spend some time and "skin it".

And OFC you won't make level like from Joseph Across' pics - but he's concept artist, not level designer. What you need from that kind of pics are general ideas.

I would suggest LESS metal stuff, and try add more concrete and glass. And MUCH more LAMPS. Lamps are awesome in general Smile

Hey, can I just say that I'm beginning to LOVE this map?

Seriously, I've played it two times now in pickup and it's one of the very best maps I've ever played so far, at least for vanilla Xonotic. (And I'm able to get some caps, too .. like this! Big Grin)
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

I strongly recommend to include this map as official Xonotic content with the next release. Gameplay and visuals both are really stunning.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(01-08-2013, 05:02 AM)Halogene Wrote: I strongly recommend to include this map as official Xonotic content with the next release. Gameplay and visuals both are really stunning.

Talk to Justin, then: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...acker_id=2

Talk to Justin via the dev tracker? I intended to tell him that through the forum?

BTW:
(01-05-2013, 10:54 AM)Majki Wrote: Lamps are awesome in general

THANK YOU MAJKI. I would put that into my signature but it doesn't fit anymore.
My Xonstats Profile

(01-08-2013, 06:10 AM)Halogene Wrote: Talk to Justin via the dev tracker? I intended to tell him that through the forum?

Nah, to make it an official map - you have to get the okay from the devs. Therefore, you need to do a ticket on the tracker.
Plus - before that, Justin needs to give his "Okay" .

I think that's been the essence of Mr.Bougo

(01-08-2013, 06:10 AM)Halogene Wrote: BTW:
(01-05-2013, 10:54 AM)Majki Wrote: Lamps are awesome in general

THANK YOU MAJKI. I would put that into my signature but it doesn't fit anymore.

Lol Big Grin
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

(01-05-2013, 10:48 AM)Justin Wrote: PS: Silence: You rly think so? ;(

they lack detail IMO. although they do fit the map better than the other stock jump-pads might.

I recommend that if you do end up using them in your map you make the models available for other mappers, inconsistent jump pads were confusing to me as a player when i first started playing nexuiz.

(01-08-2013, 04:41 PM)s1lence Wrote:
(01-05-2013, 10:48 AM)Justin Wrote: PS: Silence: You rly think so? ;(

they lack detail IMO. although they do fit the map better than the other stock jump-pads might.

I recommend that if you do end up using them in your map you make the models available for other mappers, inconsistent jump pads were confusing to me as a player when i first started playing nexuiz.

Imo good jump pads should give the player the impression that it's actually something that'll boost him in the air, this is mostly achieved by putting some moving elements in the model that'll point up in an animation, lines/circles/arrows and such.

But for Spatium the jump pads in the center could be replaced by ramps I think, everytime I entered that center room my speed was decent enough to be able to make a trick jump somewhere.

Dunno if there's any room for ramps though :<

Also Justin, when will the music be in the map? Smile
[Image: 4766.png]
[My personal website: AquaNova ] - <> - [Ingame: <PsyX> :::: <-Archer-< :::: ]

(01-08-2013, 05:09 PM)Archer Wrote: But for Spatium the jump pads in the center could be replaced by ramps I think, everytime I entered that center room my speed was decent enough to be able to make a trick jump somewhere.

ramps have poor usability and we don't have a trickjumping tutorial level yet.

Quote:ramps have poor usability and we don't have a trickjumping tutorial level yet.

Ramps have great usability if you come at them with the right speed, and for tutorials/practicing just try trickjumping in other maps, reaching specific destinations by using an angled surface, like in Stormkeep or Xoylent, it's rather something you have to learn by yourself, putting effort in it.

(01-09-2013, 12:45 AM)Archer Wrote:
Quote:ramps have poor usability and we don't have a trickjumping tutorial level yet.

Ramps have great usability ...

Not comparatively speaking.

especially if this is to become a default map.

Trickjumps are indeed very useful and sometimes vital when you don't want to do a laser jump while still moving effectively. As Archer said Stormkeep and Xoylent is great examples aswell as Fuse.

As you might know from other maps made by Justin, he's well aware of the importance of trick jumps and how to implement them. Since Justin also is a very skilled runner and trick jumper, I'm very confident he'll put ramps in the map before releasing a final version. If I understood it correctly, with the release of this map he was aiming for public testing of the layout mainly, so the map is no way finished so far, visuals and gimmicks such as trick jumps will probably be added later on.

But given the quality of this early release it's easily confused with a "final" or "I'm mostly done" release Big Grin
My Xonstats Profile

Trickjumps are extremly usefull as machine and archer mentioned. The problem is placement and size of them.
Also Silence: you are wrong here: We actually have an unoffical tricking tutorials:

One made by Halogene: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=3659
One by me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAq3VSJtLSs

the map that tricking I find extremly usefull is Runningman, fuse, Stormkeep. Knowledge of tricks there gives advantage.
My map has very few trickjumps on it so far. The main problem is their placement. I will have to reconsider some layout and details...
Archer, don't be impatient: Your music definitely is going to be in next relese.
Forgive my everybody, but Im quite busy lately. I will upload new version as soon as I have more time.

(01-09-2013, 07:12 AM)Justin Wrote: Also Silence: you are wrong here: We actually have an unoffical tricking tutorials:

They aren't actually in the game. I don't think you realize that most new players don't know we even have a forum.

(01-10-2013, 02:02 PM)s1lence Wrote:
(01-09-2013, 07:12 AM)Justin Wrote: Also Silence: you are wrong here: We actually have an unoffical tricking tutorials:

They aren't actually in the game. I don't think you realize that most new players don't know we even have a forum.

If any new players have enough interest to find out "how that guy did that amazing trickjump" they will ask around eventually.

It's not that any player will actually become part of the community anyway, most on the servers just come and go without getting into it.

(01-08-2013, 05:02 AM)Halogene Wrote: visuals both are really stunning.

you got be kidding me.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(01-11-2013, 03:08 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(01-08-2013, 05:02 AM)Halogene Wrote: visuals both are really stunning.

you got be kidding me.

do you disgree?

there's not much detailing but justin has a really good aesthetic sense and the lighting and colour composition of this map are excellent.

[Image: roflbot.jpg]
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Stay tuned, ladies and gentelman... Crazy version is coming! I was busy and I still am but I want to have the jobdone before ctf cup begins...

At least some clips please. Tongue

Also - whats the purpose of the warpzone?

Clips will be done. I added warpzone to confuse you and make you ask stupid questions, Mirio. Tongue

What Im focusing right now is style of the map. Details are irrelevant on this stage. Im working with lighting and textures. Also adding more lams and structures. decided to include some rock texture too.

EDIT: Ok, Spatium-a4 is now ready to go. Now the map includes soundtrack made by Archer (Erebus) which fits map very well. Great thanks and congratulations to Archer!

1. More details,
2. fixed some textures,
3. Map is now slightly improved style-wise,
4. Botpoints,
5. Clipping
6. Cool track by Archer (made 'just for this occasion')
7. better lighting and some rocks!

Download:SPATIUM-A4.PK3

Enjoy the new version on the DCC server (thanks to Rokenn). Have a quick look at it before you participate in the quick 3v3 cup. good luck and have fun!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DM/CTF] Sirlent (Soylent remake) (added CTF version) _para 7 1,668 01-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: _para
  [Vanilla, XPM CTF] antares-ctf1_b2 (Silica CTF) Antares* 0 2,150 11-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  Fickle-ctf [CTF] [ONS] nowego4 31 32,498 11-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Mario