Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How NOT to get in contact with people on IRC

Exclamation 
So, there is this trend of people messaging me on IRC wanting to discuss something... However instead of providing any useful information about the subject, they simply poke me and hope i'm around to answer.

This is not acceptable. People on IRC are not always around. If you have something to say, you need to explain it or ask it in some detail instead of just poking people. It is beyond frustrating to see several highlights and PM's from people who asked if they can ask a question-- man, just ask the question, and i'll get to it when i'm available again.

Examples of the problem:
Quote:[16:32:01pm] <Diomedes> Okay, it looks like I have a problem.
[17:06:39pm] <Diomedes> Meh, where are you?
[19:09:17pm] <Samual> hmm?
[19:09:19pm] <Samual> what's up?
[14:34:49pm] <Diomedes> Hey?
[14:34:58pm] <Samual> yup?
[14:35:12pm] <Diomedes> I have a problem. :-P
[14:35:28pm] <Diomedes> I don't know who to ask, you are my only hope!
[14:35:31pm] <Samual> yes I saw your PM earlier
Quote:[11:47:58am] <kojn> Samual
[11:48:00am] <kojn> Alive?
Quote:[23:41:05pm] <kamikaze> samual
[08:48:42am] <Samual> jesus christ kid, don't just message me like this or highlight or whatever
[08:48:47am] <Samual> ask what you actually want to ask
[08:48:54am] <Samual> that way I can actually answer when I get back
Quote:[12:35:20pm] <pV-Hero> Hello samual! Smile
[12:35:57pm] <pV-Hero> beep if you are here
[12:36:00pm] <pV-Hero> need to talk with you
[12:36:06pm] <pV-Hero> have a conversation
[15:45:41pm] <Samual> what's up?

That's just in the past week or so alone-- not including highlights on IRC and etc. Most of these people disappeared before I could answer, and it took several times to get back to them because they don't know how to properly leave messages.

Many people do in fact do it RIGHT though btw, i.e. they leave good descriptions of their questions or statements they wish to make... but it's beyond annoying when people don't do this.

Samual, let me know when you're on IRC next.

I wanted to tell you what I think about this topic.

Just PM me here or something when you're on.

Yup, that's how you make someone ignore their highlights after a while.

hm, may be that i highlighted you one or two times... but that was an accident -.-
me sorry Smile (usually, i dont want to bother people, but sometimes i'm to silly to use my irc-client ^^)

So in summary, don't ping without reason. If you do ping, leave some context there.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

(02-07-2013, 06:23 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Yup, that's how you make someone ignore their highlights after a while.

True!

(02-07-2013, 06:39 PM)Mirio Wrote:
(02-07-2013, 06:23 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Yup, that's how you make someone ignore their highlights after a while.
True!

Ahaaa, so that's the reason why you ignore me if I say "Mirio: !" on IRC?! Awwwww ((

Oh no wait, back to topic (don't want this post get moved to WW Wink) .. I guess Samual is right. Especially if people are not around when you ping them, and they check later if they were highlighted, it accomplishes nothing if they just see "xyz: hey wassup" or something. Normally I ping people to check if they're available, and if not write a short statement about what I wanted to discuss. So basically, what Antibody said =)
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

I avoid saying anyone's name when talking about them if there's no reason for them to be highlighted, even.

actually ... do say someone name when you are talking about them ... then I can spy and see what people are saying about me ...

:3

For the record, go ahead and talk about me--- just don't try to get my attention without at least describing part of why you want it.

Thing is, even if you do 'ping' Samual with a valid reason, his usual response these day's is 'NO' 'I'M BUSY' or 'GO AWAY'. By not giving him a reason he tends to respond after a while Wink
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Specially favorite words of his are 'FUCK OFF DIOMEDES'.

Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual!

Hey.

(02-08-2013, 01:48 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual, Samual!

Hey.

Big Grin
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

you guys can ping me anytime , if ya wanna complain about how that nerd has more bit coins than you do , to how to land chicks (or men) , to all things minecraft on the ipad

i wont be on irc much , so send $$$$ via snail mail

t

:^
[Image: 227.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I get started with Darkplaces Development? GoldenThumbs 0 4,062 10-16-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: GoldenThumbs
  In which people do not argue about ammo types Harmata 41 35,094 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Quake irc how to (i don't know!) .Danny. 6 8,704 07-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Last Post: theShadow
  To audio people: LMMS, Ardour3 or QTractor? Minkovsky 4 16,470 06-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Last Post: master[mind]
  People, I do Let's Plays now! Minkovsky 0 2,739 12-26-2010, 04:49 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  online contact forms The mysterious Mr. 4m 3 4,471 11-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m
  THIS WILL GET VIOLENT Lee_Stricklin 4 4,717 04-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  What IRC client do you use? Erusavion 19 14,915 04-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Roanoke