Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me with dedicated server setup.

have read the readme file. I have moved the windows server .bat file into the main directory and i have modified the server.cfg file and moved it to the data dir where the "big data.pk3" file is located. I have also tried moving the modified server.cfg file into several different folders, including Users/saved games/xonotic... with no luck.

Upon running trying to run a dedicated server, I always get the same message in the cmd window... "You have not written any server.cfg file yet. The server will therefore run at default settings."

My son can see the server in the public server browser. But it shows up as "Priori's Xonotic Server" (which is not the name that i changed it to in the server.cfg file) And it runs as a vanilla DM server, not as a minstagib with hook server, which are some of the settings that i changed...

Im on windows 8 and i believe that I have the most recent version of Xonotic. If that helps. And I also posted this as a reply to a thread where someone was having similar probs.

Thanks for any help!

You should put all your configuration files into your userdir.
Why? - A Xonotic upgrade does not delete your personal files Smile.

To get the location where you have to put the server.cfg file, start Xonotic and type
Code:
which config.cfg
The server.cfg file should be placed in your userdir, where your config.cfg file is.

If you want to add custom maps to the server, put them into this folder (data), too.

thx for for the help... however, i have tried that already. I tried the folder where my config is second. I still got the same message.

Anything else?

I have also removed the // in front of the lines that I changed in the server config. Is there any other place that I need to remove the // ?
Also, i modified the server config file with notepad. I think it is showing up as a .txt file now... Does it need to be changed back to something else? I dont remember having to do this with
Quake server config files, but it has been a while and a few different versions of windows ago.

Thx again.

The file has to be named server.cfg. Naming it server.cfg.txt will not work. And since Windows has this bad tendency of hiding extensions, a file named server.cfg.txt might show up as server.cfg, so double-check (in the file properties) that it is indeed called server.cfg.

(02-25-2013, 05:36 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: The file has to be named server.cfg. Naming it server.cfg.txt will not work. And since Windows has this bad tendency of hiding extensions, a file named server.cfg.txt might show up as server.cfg, so double-check (in the file properties) that it is indeed called server.cfg.

Quick tip for doing this if you're using Notepad:
In File > Save As dialogue box, enter for the file name:
Code:
"server.cfg"
The speech marks are essential otherwise it will name the file server.cfg.txt, regardless of what you do. Yes, it's that bad.

Good luck and have fun!
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Thanks for all the help!! It was indeed the server.cfg.txt problem. I had considered this but was unable to "fix" it properly. I spoke with "Mario" in a server and he mentioned that he used notepad++ to edit .cfg files and the like. I downloaded it and opened the original un-modified server.cfg file. I used notepad++ to make a few quick changes and then replaced the server.cfg.txt file in users/me/saved games/xonotic/data folder and that solved the problem!

So now on to custom maps and auto download... haha

and im getting an old pc up and running (needs a new power supply) to be a dedicated server.

Thanks again!!

I'm really glad you figured most of the problem out, because I don't think I would have!

Do read the documentation in the "server" directory, where the original server.cfg was! Map downloads are explained there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [NEED HELP] How to setup a LAN ? Sospi 1 502 02-07-2024, 08:28 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
  I can't see my listen server on server list fnmain 1 673 10-07-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Grimnack
  Server not visible on the server browser for others or me DankoLord 1 1,820 02-21-2023, 08:02 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  [NEED HELP] Help Adding Custom Gametypes CarbonGhost 3 980 01-24-2023, 09:09 PM
  Docker Xonotic Dedicated Server ich777 18 11,486 08-15-2022, 12:44 AM
Last Post: FAF
  BaI server | South American Xonotic server (located in Chile) z411 0 2,755 01-02-2022, 11:36 PM
Last Post: z411
  Full server tutorial start-2-finish with maps & config from live server xonotic.us.to ballerburg9005 0 8,050 09-03-2021, 10:21 AM
  Noob needs help running server. CORDUROY 3 6,840 07-01-2021, 02:31 PM
Last Post: CORDUROY
Question [NEED HELP] Server uses 40% CPU whereas Nexuiz server runs with max 10% e-pig 6 4,966 08-19-2020, 10:17 PM
  [NEED HELP] Server dont appear in server browser abslimit 0 2,578 03-15-2020, 04:13 AM
Last Post: abslimit