Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any interest in a Canadian-based server?

Hey,

I'm planning on buying a VPS purely dedicated to Xonotic but I would like to know who would even use it. I was thinking a max-8 player DeathMatch server with dodging enabled to have a UT-like experience. It would be running 24/7. I am looking at a 256MB machine with 4 cores and 100/200GB of bandwidth running a flavor of Linux.

Let me know what you guys think so I can create a donation webpage so people can help me out with some payments.

Thank you,

ambition

I'd be interested with any NA(lower ping than all the German ones) server that get's popular. 256MB RAM seems a little low though
[Image: 2386.png] Professional noob...
of...
Paradox Space...

256MB can be fine depending on how I configure the server...I don't know the internals of the Xonotic server but if it only keeps track of bullet locations, ammunition, player locations, etc, I think it'd be fine. Would be nice to get a dev in here to confirm this.

A populated Kenyan, Ugandan or Rwandan server would be nice Sad

Your server won't become popular and people won't pay for it. Good luck with your project anyway.

That's the spirit asyy, keep spreading that positive vibe!
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Nothing wrong with being a realist, or well? There is no real Canadian playerbase, other than a handful of people. A modded server (unless you choose a mod that has been proven popular across games and time, e.g. instagib) won't appeal to everyone which reduces the group of possible players even further. And unless you get lucky with a good Samaritan or manage to build a really strong community around your server, expecting donations is just phantasmal.

But go ahead, encourage him to waste his money and time.

(01-29-2013, 04:02 PM)asyyy Wrote: But go ahead, encourage him to waste his money and time.

No one did that.

Thanks for detailing your point in this last post, you should have done that sooner.

ambition, before you get started on anything, you have to do tests first. You can't just guess that Xonotic will run fine on 256 megabytes of RAM (I doubt it will). And indeed, your donation call is likely to fail, so don't be too hopeful with that.

(01-29-2013, 06:17 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: No one did that.

True, being passive is also a way to answer his question. Though I prefer clear statements and I think that's totally fine in this case as it's not a personal matter.

Uhh, a Ugandan server might be actually upcoming! Keep your fingers crossed :p

I was thinking of a Canadian server for myself and my son to play around with. Depending on free time I'll give it a try in a few weeks. Just have to read up on server/connection requirements.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

(01-29-2013, 04:02 PM)asyyy Wrote: Nothing wrong with being a realist, or well? There is no real Canadian playerbase, other than a handful of people.

Even though I'm new to this game we're finding it hard to play because the lack of low ping servers that are available to Canadians. I managed to play a few games with Xonotic and Nexuiz in the last few days with a ping of 150 or less and what a difference compared to 200+ ping servers. I actually managed to get a descent amount of frags compared to always having my ass handed to me or frozen left and right.

After doing some pricing looks like an i3/8GB (Debian) server with 10tb of data transfer would coast around $150 (CDN) from Netelligent (Quebec) not including management. I believe Acunett will do a one time fortify/setup for around $70.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Both srkdy amd nifrek are canadian players, you shoulf maybe ask them what servers they play on as they have low pings on the servers they do. Also I'm sure they'd love to see a few new (canadian) players.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(02-06-2013, 10:46 AM)kojn^ Wrote: Both srkdy amd nifrek are canadian players, you shoulf maybe ask them what servers they play on as they have low pings on the servers they do. Also I'm sure they'd love to see a few new (canadian) players.

I just rented a VPS from NFO at the Denver location. Ping times should be around 70ish ms for Canada east/west. I'll have it up and running in a day or two pending any fuckups with me messing around with the server.

Ok so the game is running, look for Freakzilla in the server list. IP is 72.5.102.2:26000.

The server is in Denver as most Canadian based servers had a Ping of 110+ so for now, to have a Canada wide server I went with the Denver one which would give east/west coast similar ping. If there's ever enough players enentually I could go with a Vancouer and Montreal based for each east and west coast which would keep the ping down to 50-80.

I'll donate. As soon as I see a server like this come into existence, I'll happily throw in what I can.

(02-12-2013, 05:26 AM)node357 Wrote: I'll donate. As soon as I see a server like this come into existence, I'll happily throw in what I can.
First one is FT/DM/TDM (votable) with standard maps for now and the other still testing will be Minsta+Hook

Just look for Freakzilla in the server list. I might get another server today from OVH to host maps for both of the servers.

I think that US based server is best as compare to Canadian based.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I can't see my listen server on server list fnmain 1 673 10-07-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Grimnack
  New CA only Server ".broccoli | Clan Arena" - EU Based aeh 1 969 03-07-2023, 03:53 AM
Last Post: FAF
  Server not visible on the server browser for others or me DankoLord 1 1,819 02-21-2023, 08:02 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  BaI server | South American Xonotic server (located in Chile) z411 0 2,754 01-02-2022, 11:36 PM
Last Post: z411
  Full server tutorial start-2-finish with maps & config from live server xonotic.us.to ballerburg9005 0 8,045 09-03-2021, 10:21 AM
Question [NEED HELP] Server uses 40% CPU whereas Nexuiz server runs with max 10% e-pig 6 4,965 08-19-2020, 10:17 PM
  [NEED HELP] Server dont appear in server browser abslimit 0 2,578 03-15-2020, 04:13 AM
Last Post: abslimit
  How to change server cfg on modified server veecho 4 4,318 04-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic Server crashes TF2 server Professor 2 2,950 02-20-2018, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Professor
  Any other command like "status"? billyjoe 1 2,380 04-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Last Post: -z-