Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding or replacing in game music?

Well I thought it was easy by just adding an .ogg file to the music pk3 file, adding the new track in the cfg and adjusting the mapinfo file but I guess not. When I did that the maps wouldn't show.

Is there write up somewhere about adding new tracks?

Thanks
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

First of all, never modify the pk3s. You never need to do that anyway, because of how the virtual filesystem works in DarkPlaces. You want to use a new custom pk3dir directory. See this post for a short explanation: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...2#pid40472

So you'll want to create a zzz_mycustommusic.pk3dir directory in your personal data directory (that is, next to your config.cfg). In there, you'll have the following files:
Code:
maps/blah.mapinfo
sound/cdtracks/mycustommusic.ogg
where blah.mapinfo is the original mapinfo of the map you want to modify, that you will get from inside the map's pk3.

Now, edit that mapinfo in your pk3dir and change the "cdtrack" line to show the following:
Code:
cdtrack mycustmommusic
where mycustommusic is the base name (without .ogg) of the music you put in your pk3dir.

And please revert the pk3s that you modified back to normal. I wouldn't want to troubleshoot a problem rising from a broken pk3.

(03-07-2013, 02:06 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: First of all, never modify the pk3s. You never need to do that anyway, because of how the virtual filesystem works in DarkPlaces. You want to use a new custom pk3dir directory. See this post for a short explanation: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...2#pid40472

So you'll want to create a zzz_mycustommusic.pk3dir directory in your personal data directory (that is, next to your config.cfg). In there, you'll have the following files:
Code:
maps/blah.mapinfo
sound/cdtracks/mycustommusic.ogg
where blah.mapinfo is the original mapinfo of the map you want to modify, that you will get from inside the map's pk3.

Now, edit that mapinfo in your pk3dir and change the "cdtrack" line to show the following:
Code:
cdtrack mycustmommusic
where mycustommusic is the base name (without .ogg) of the music you put in your pk3dir.

And please revert the pk3s that you modified back to normal. I wouldn't want to troubleshoot a problem rising from a broken pk3.

Thanks I'll give that a go today as I slack at work.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Oh wait wait wait. This is the server admin section. Are you asking this question from a server admin's perspective? Because shipping custom music is a whole other story, and I wouldn't do it if I were you.

You really don't want to ship entire modified map packages just to change the music: it's a huge waste of bandwidth and disk space if people start doing that. And "patching" the filesystem of clients with forced packages can have unintended consequences, by affecting their games on other servers during the same session.

(03-07-2013, 02:43 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Oh wait wait wait. This is the server admin section. Are you asking this question from a server admin's perspective? Because shipping custom music is a whole other story, and I wouldn't do it if I were you.

You really don't want to ship entire modified map packages just to change the music: it's a huge waste of bandwidth and disk space if people start doing that. And "patching" the filesystem of clients with forced packages can have unintended consequences, by affecting their games on other servers during the same session.

Basically all I want to do is use other in map music than the one that comes with Xonotic. Obviously I'll be breaking copyright laws and be severely punished for playing electronic music most wouldn't have never heard off but they...

I think its the music files in xonotic-20120308-music.pk3 ?

Read my message again. You would have two options:

First option: you modify the map's pk3 and give it a new name (i.e. fork the map) and include different music in it. That means you have to distribute the map to your clients and they have to keep it on their hard drive. If other server admins start doing this, clients will have to keep hundreds of megabytes of copies of maps just to change the background music. Proliferating different versions of the same map is just ugly.

Second option (I'm not even sure that would work for dlcache maps): you force your clients to download a pk3 with the music and mapinfos that you want to modify, and they override the map's mapinfo and default music. The problem with that is that, if the clients go to a different server after yours, they will be affected by your server's modification. That's not good. And as I said above, I'm not even sure it would work at all.

In any case, it results in annoyances for the clients, all this because you want them to hear something else. Not to mention that you are planning to distribute copyrighted content and put yourself AND your users at risk. That's just disrespectful and selfish all in all.

Anyway, you can try modifying your local pk3s as much as you want, it won't affect your clients. It does not work that way. And, I'll repeat it, you should not edit pk3s.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Help Adding Custom Gametypes CarbonGhost 3 980 01-24-2023, 09:09 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  Adding maps to server BuddyFriendGuy 3 4,189 10-20-2015, 01:21 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SOLVED] end of game music BuddyFriendGuy 1 2,688 07-31-2015, 11:34 PM
Last Post: Mario
  Adding in map screen shots end user 5 4,908 08-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Last Post: end user
  adding custom maps acidbuddha 6 8,334 09-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo