Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bounty system for features/issues in FLOSS projects

Yesterday I found this: Freedom Sponsors

It's a "platform" for bounties for various FLOSS projects. It works more or less like this - somebody picks a bug or a feature request from the bugtracker, posts it there and declares that he wants to pay for implementing/fixing it. Other ppl join, etc... Then they notify the project devs, and if somebody implements this the ppl who declared that they will give money just pay the person who implemented it.

Think about it like a kickstarter not for whole projects but for singular issues in already existing projects.

How can this be useful to Xonotic... There are currently some extra things that ppl want that are outside of the main/immediate development scope, like e.g. ragdoll bodies. So maybe interested ppl would post something like this there and if enough cash would be gathered then some external developer (or whoever) would be motivated enough to implement it for the game.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

This is a fantastic idea and will really motivate people! I like it. Smile

interesting but a bit controversial, even though i am willing to donate

I showed this to the Red Eclipse developer who's been short of money since forever and yet still works on RE and the Cube Engine full-time.

It's just a frontend to Paypal's 'parallel payments' feature, apparently. Furthermore, it probably takes a cut, though there was no indication of it on its website (but there was no indication it's a non-profit either). I wouldn't trust this for a second.

(03-01-2013, 07:53 PM)Evropi Wrote: I showed this to the Red Eclipse developer who's been short of money since forever and yet still works on RE and the Cube Engine full-time.

It's just a frontend to Paypal's 'parallel payments' feature, apparently. Furthermore, it probably takes a cut, though there was no indication of it on its website (but there was no indication it's a non-profit either). I wouldn't trust this for a second.

Yep, they take 3% and it is indicated on their website (in the FAQ). That does not mean it's a scam, though. And they do like free software.

Yup, they do take a cut, but they don't hold the money. It's all direct paypal payments between people. It's not more of a scam than any other donation systems - they all take a cut.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Selecting the correct floss for your new cross-stitching project isn't extraordinarily troublesome to try to to. All you would like is to require note of a couple of steps. this can assist you forestall lots of issues later.

(03-09-2013, 09:19 AM)John Gamble Wrote: Selecting the correct floss for your new cross-stitching project isn't extraordinarily troublesome to try to to. All you would like is to require note of a couple of steps. this can assist you forestall lots of issues later.

Ha! Good one, spambot.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An open content ratings system for videogames? Lee_Stricklin 26 37,600 09-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Last Post: end user
  I'm building a handheld game system! JayWalker 8 10,045 08-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Last Post: JayWalker
  possible computer heat issues hutty 29 22,251 02-14-2013, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Cyber Killer
  Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? Mr. Bougo 25 36,760 05-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Anyone use Linux on a desktop/workstation system? tux9656 2 4,390 07-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Last Post: divVerent