Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Reboot

I see this new project as more than Nexuiz with a new name. This is a chance for renewal. We have the engine, we have the gameplay, now what we need is a setting, a theme that influences the guns, characters, maps...everything. This doesnt mean recreating everything, but it does mean taking a step back at looking at the bigger picture and the modifying some things. When I say a theme, i dont mean merely a visual theme, i mean a complete setting with a backstory. It will add something to this project, it will be less of a collection of awesome levels, weapons and models, it will be a game with a setting, weaponry and Characters.

Just my ten pennycents but i thought it could help. I could be on hand for some story development and even creating a visual theme.

I think this whole Nexuiz PC-Console saga can end up with an amazing game, an amazing story and even better, an amazing experience.

[Image: sig2.png]
Check out my site: www.alisdairrankine.com!

I strongly agree with OP. Does the project have any succinct set of goals or defining statements? I looked through the FAQ, and didn't see anything like a simple, vivid vision statement. If not, this should be a priority. If I were to write such goals, I would imagine them to be as follows

Write a game with...
*) An engaging and unified story which can be expressed in just a couple sentences and with a minimum number of made up names and words. (we might have already used up all of our made up words with just the name Xonotic ;) )
*) Beautiful graphics based on darkplaces, but taking advantage of the fact that hardware has gotten better over the last 5 years (more polys?)
*) Fun, intuitive game-play that doesn't just copy modern or classic commercial games, but contributes something definably new
Personally, I would also like to see:
*) A single player mode that is as varied and engaging as multiplayer

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I'd love to finally have a game where we can tell our poor, unenlightened friends still playing Call of Duty, "Well, in Xonotic, you can...", and they will be impressed, and realize what they have been playing is way less awesome.

As I understand it, a unified visual theme is something that is on the todo list. I agree with the backstory. Maybe the people who wanted to do the singleplayer campaign backstory can make up something for a broader story.

It would be awesome if this was made one of the guiding ideas for Xonotic. The name itself is brilliant, it could easily be incorporated to the story. here follows an example, but it is just that, an example...

"On the planet Zek'Resh, war has broken out between the ruthless Tra'all and the Human race over the ancient artefact the humans call the Xonolith. Both Tra'all and Human are working and fighting hard to stop thousands of warriors from across the universe, who have assembled in pilgrimage to experience the Xonotic energy. He who braves the war and survives the radiation becomes a Xonotic Warrior; capable of superhuman (and supertra'all) feats of power and hellbent on destroying all authority'

I know its trash and makes no sense, but I think it demonstrates the use of the title rather well.

Indeed, I agree that it is important that the title mean something in relation to the story. I also think that it would be a wise decision to avoid the standard fa'nT'aS'y style names, and instead opt for using English words to describe the different races and factions. Just like "buggers" or "bugs" are used in a few highly thought of science fiction universes. Now I know Halo might not be the most popular game among PC gamers, but think of the naming scheme it had for the aliens: Elite, Grunt, Brute, etc. As Halo got stupider, more nonsense words were introduced.

(03-22-2010, 07:40 PM)michaelb Wrote: Indeed, I agree that it is important that the title mean something in relation to the story. I also think that it would be a wise decision to avoid the standard fa'nT'aS'y style names, and instead opt for using English words to describe the different races and factions. Just like "buggers" or "bugs" are used in a few highly thought of science fiction universes. Now I know Halo might not be the most popular game among PC gamers, but think of the naming scheme it had for the aliens: Elite, Grunt, Brute, etc. As Halo got stupider, more nonsense words were introduced.

Yea totally. It wasnt about the race and place names lol, i just wanted to show the title in use. I agree that standard names like that are needed to describe unit classes. (sorry if the example names offended lol :p)

(03-22-2010, 07:30 PM)EvilSpaceHamster Wrote: "On the planet Zek'Resh, war has broken out between the ruthless Tra'all and the Human race over the ancient artefact the humans call the Xonolith. Both Tra'all and Human are working and fighting hard to stop thousands of warriors from across the universe, who have assembled in pilgrimage to experience the Xonotic energy. He who braves the war and survives the radiation becomes a Xonotic Warrior; capable of superhuman (and supertra'all) feats of power and hellbent on destroying all authority'

This is full of all sorts of win. Very creative.
Latest obsession.

What about the humans? Tongue
I think humans should be more involved in the story.
Quote:In earth ware had divided two powerful races that once live in peace. The extremist for of each other had push human race into self destruction. While the alien race; the Sheks are developing a powerful weapon only known as Xonotic. The best of the humans must find and neutralize this weapon before it is too late.

Some sketches coming Tongue
More ideas welcomed.

Xonotic energy, the key to the universe.

It has been called "Salvation" by the human race, that's what led the humans to go beyond their decimated, polluted planet Earth, to seek out and find this potential supply of unlimited energy.

Rumors surround the existence of Xonotic, its creation, its capabilities, its potential but one thing is for certain, whomever controls the source, controls the galaxy.

War, battles, death and destruction, these are the calling cards of those whom seek this power, the power to create, to destroy.

Many worlds exist, many races aware of this energy, but only one can control it and only one can determine the fate of the universe...

0_o so is there going to be space battles?(NO SPACESHIPS; More like Scattered Horizon.)

Eh, I was just riffing off the story above, personally I just thought it sounded like a good intro and it can be split between two main warring factions each represented in the Xonotic logo with the phoenix and the well, not sure what to call it but quake-homeage ring.

What about splitting the single player into 2 stories?
One for an alien race and one for humans.
Then maybe we can make sense to include more peoples opinions. The aliens believing in Xonotic being a relic symbolic of power and Humans viewing it as a Mass Destruction Weapon.(Dunno why now it remembers me to Halo 0_o)

Well if in SPM then yes, that would be recommended, when you look at such titles as Halo, Quake, et al. they all had a story mode and then, well I believe it would be called mindless death with BFGs mode aka MPM.

There's nothing to say the same must carry over to the MPM in terms of backstory, you're a guy with a gun and there's a guy with bigger gun aimed at you, do you really care if his race has slaughtered millions in pursuit of a relic or energy or whatever or do you care that he's pulling that bloody trigger?

My guess, you don't care... you just want to shoot.

But in SPM, it's a different ballgame, you want to have story, you want to have reason, you want to have goals, missions, secrets, intrigue, betrayal, you want immersed in that world.

Just my half-cent thoughts of course.

SPM: Single-Player Mode
MPM: Multiplayer Mode