Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arboria (improved Xonotic version)

A few years ago, Torus and sev had the thoughtful initiative of porting the UT2004 map Tokara Forest to Nexuiz (called Arboria). A few days ago I decided it's time to make an up to date Xonotic version as well as improve on this map, and now my version is ready. Since the last release was v2r4 my version starts at v3r0.

My work on the map includes major changes. First of all I changed all Nexuiz textures to Xonotic ones, and replaced the terrain material with a nice blend from terrain01x. The upper room was enlarged while the BSP is built at 0.75 scale (the original size is too huge). I also added other elements from Tokara Forest, such as the dense cyan fog and low gravity (0.25 using trigger_gravity). I removed the floating flag islands cuz they were ugly, but the map still has ONS and CTF. Other than that just tweaks to items and entities, as well extra ambient sounds and particle effects. Oh, and bot waypoints... though you don't wanna know how long it takes to waypoint a map this big Smile

Important: In order for the map to work properly you will need this bugfix. When trigger_gravity was implemented I didn't realize jump pads aren't aware of it. Playing with the current code will cause jump pads to throw you high up and hurt you, cuz they aren't aware of per-entity gravities. My fix needs testing and this map will be a great subject for that. (fixed in Xonotic now)

Download (v3.1): Link 1, link 2. The map is also on GIT and autobuild server will start handling it tomorrow. Piccies:

[Image: kzo4vcrwyqnw6cerscq_thumb.jpg] [Image: uj2mro67o62mv8dn0w2i_thumb.jpg] [Image: redo87uyd2r4geecarol_thumb.jpg] [Image: pn73qm9qszndptwzbnj_thumb.jpg] [Image: 83fyjheinvz6m5u1w69i_thumb.jpg] [Image: rxycccg72cjmbujcb_thumb.jpg] [Image: shjt8s5z4lyh05y4fm4b_thumb.jpg] [Image: blagxa99naxetjc1ylc_thumb.jpg]

Looking at the screenshots it looks really nice.

I liked this map in ut2k4, though I'm a little afraid that this will turn into a nex camping ground here :-P

Looks really good anyway :-).
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Very nice but I do hope it isn't too much of a campers map. This map was originally from UT2003 but also featured in UT2004. It does seem nowadays that UT2003 is forgotten but having played it recently I think it's actually a better game than UT2004.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

(03-20-2013, 07:23 AM)edh Wrote: Very nice but I do hope it isn't too much of a campers map. This map was originally from UT2003 but also featured in UT2004. It does seem nowadays that UT2003 is forgotten but having played it recently I think it's actually a better game than UT2004.

UT2004 is just UT2003 with new features and improvements (as well as some changes). Never the less Tokara Forest is a beautiful map, and I'm glad the original authors of the Nexuiz port had this initiative.

It shouldn't be much of a camper's map now. Especially since I'm building it at 75% scales due to the original Nexuiz map being overly huge. It's still pretty large which can encourage camping especially for bots, but no map is perfect.

(03-20-2013, 08:28 AM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: UT2004 is just UT2003 with new features and improvements (as well as some changes).

The single player campaign is very different though and in many ways things aren't so polished. There's a few second rate maps that are in UT2004. I do think that Assault and Onslaught are welcome additions though.

(03-20-2013, 08:28 AM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: It shouldn't be much of a camper's map now. Especially since I'm building it at 75% scales due to the original Nexuiz map being overly huge. It's still pretty large which can encourage camping especially for bots, but no map is perfect.

The size reduction should help as even the original version was very difficult to get into at first. As for bots, how are you going with waypoints? Not sure how bots will handle all of the aerial stuff.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

(03-20-2013, 09:03 AM)edh Wrote: The size reduction should help as even the original version was very difficult to get into at first. As for bots, how are you going with waypoints? Not sure how bots will handle all of the aerial stuff.

I waypointed the suspended platforms and created a waypoint net at ground level over the terrain. Overall it took 2 hours to do it for the whole map, and I had to do it twice too. Bots don't move quite as much as on other maps but they still handle themselves well. Some jump off the platforms, but usually tend to clog toward the bottom center of the map (where the megahealth is placed).

Just a heads-up: The autobuild-bsp version is now up and ready, you might prefer that over the pk3 I made myself. Took a while to realize that as old as the original map is, this looks a dozen times better with sRGB than without Smile

Nice one Smile
I always enjoyed the map in nexuiz times (the few times we played it).

I like the fog and the scale of the map but I'm afraid it could be a nex-only-map. What I would recommend to remove is the low gravity - while it helps moving around, it makes you an even easiert target for someone with a nexgun.

(03-22-2013, 12:43 PM)Debugger Wrote: Nice one Smile
I always enjoyed the map in nexuiz times (the few times we played it).

I like the fog and the scale of the map but I'm afraid it could be a nex-only-map. What I would recommend to remove is the low gravity - while it helps moving around, it makes you an even easiert target for someone with a nexgun.

Low gravity is one of the main things I liked in the original map, so I totally wouldn't remove that. I agree that on a map this large, the Nex is the most useful gun (usually any hitscan weapon) since players tend to touch the ground less.

In other news, the bugfix for trigger_gravity and jump pads is now in master. So the map can be played in GIT without issues.

Last night I played the map some more and realized that even at 0.75 scale it's still too huge. So I resized everything to 0.5 inside the map file and made a few other fixes and adjustments (such as better jumppad targets and ONS links). The map is a lot better looking and more playable now. See the first post for v3.1 which includes those changes, or get the map from the autobuild-bsp server.

I tried it ... it seems nice ...

its lacking detail on the outside of the play area ... but besides that its pretty nice ...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DM/CTF] Sirlent (Soylent remake) (added CTF version) _para 7 1,657 01-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: _para
  Checkmate 1.0 release version Julius 11 9,454 02-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Julius
  [MAP] revtourney1-a2 (New version 06/09/2012) Revenant 6 6,868 09-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Last Post: asyyy
  [DM]Red Xonotic version Cortez666 11 11,954 07-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Last Post: nowego4
  [CTF]Hydrophobia final version Cortez666 24 31,514 06-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Strahlemann