Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moar differnet servers and better browser

Smile 
As I play Nexuiz - there are plenty of empty servers with low ping (as for me) But all of them are just the same.

There are so many fun options when running a server: Laser arena, Nex arena, slow motion, low gravity, No Items Xonotic (Nix Nex), jetpack...

There are also fun GameTypes that are not used: ONS, LMS, Rune Match...

Why no one is running servers with those? Or is he? Then - wee need a server browser that makes it possible to easily find those servers.

In-browser server modifications list and description, filters that let anyone find games with minsta enabled or with rocket arena enabled.

Don't know how you guys feel about this, but I would like to be able to find and play with people a Laser Arena low gravity CTF game! But unfortunately I can't run a server on my own.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Because everyone plays minsta. Thats why there is no room for anything else. No players. Then when you suggest setting up low gravity or nix nex just for a laugh people whine despite the epic fun.

The problem for ONS is a lack of maps I think and a lack of understanding about the game mode. Personally I think we need to make the assault gamemode more popular as it seems to have no maps at the moment.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

I saw some nice ONS maps we'd need to find all of them and search for some guys who will agree to make their servers run ONS.

I belive that if there will be some servers, and more players - then mappers will start making more ONS maps seeing that they are wanted.

Same applies for Assault with one thing: there is need for at leas two maps for this gametype to be playable Smile
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

there are about 10 ons maps

(05-09-2010, 11:51 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: there are about 10 ons maps
That's plenty for a start I'd say.

Whatever happened to the once popular grapple hook CTF? Also why the hell does nobody run Onslaught or Key Hunt? I really miss the exhaustion and motion sickness I got from grapple hook CTF.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

IMO the biggest problem is still lack of players and servers. The main criteria for choosing a server is ping and players. i rarely connect to servers that can hold only few players. The DCC DM servers, for example, allow for up to 8 players, which isn't much, but the ping is acceptable (for me) and they are always occupied. The rest is mostly CTF (i hate it. There should be at least 3 teams.), 1-vs-1 and Nexrun which i just suck at.

It would be cool if a main menu asked you what gamemode you want to play and filter servers and other settings accordingly.
It would also be cool if there was a server with votable game modes.
4m038105 - Be the change.

(05-10-2010, 02:49 PM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: IMO the biggest problem is still lack of players and servers.
I saw there plenty of empty servers. They are just filtered-off by default.

(05-10-2010, 02:49 PM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: The rest is mostly CTF (i hate it. There should be at least 3 teams.)
Interesting idea Big Grin Triple CTF? Quad CTF?

(05-10-2010, 02:49 PM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: 1-vs-1 and Nexrun which i just suck at.
I don't know how people can enjoy Race Big Grin

(05-10-2010, 02:49 PM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: It would be cool if a main menu asked you what gamemode you want to play and filter servers and other settings accordingly.
You can filter by gametype using the browser. But it shows that there aren't any LMS, ONS or AS servers avaiable.

(05-10-2010, 02:49 PM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: It would also be cool if there was a server with votable game modes.
Interesting idea - I thought about that. - A universal server where most of options can be configured by organised voting Smile

I have converted alot of my large nexuiz maps to work with ONS.
Omploader is down so I have nowhere to host my maps however.
Anyone want to give me some place to upload my maps?

(05-10-2010, 09:04 PM)Trees Wrote: Anyone want to give me some place to upload my maps?
www.mediafire.com
www.box.net

I've just been informed that http://omploader.org is back online.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

You can make as many of these servers as you like. Nobody will play them. The "free FPS" community converges on one or two servers, and takes no initiative to start up a game on another.
[Image: optsig.png]

What about Nexrun/CTS? That hit the ground running and is still going strong.

This proves that not every initiative is hopeless. It just needs to appeal to enough players for a sufficiently long period (for the time it takes for new players to become hooked, before old ones go off to something else).
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

(05-12-2010, 06:14 PM)PinkRobot Wrote: What about Nexrun/CTS? That hit the ground running and is still going strong.

This proves that not every initiative is hopeless. It just needs to appeal to enough players for a sufficiently long period (for the time it takes for new players to become hooked, before old ones go off to something else).

If you have 4+ people already sitting on a server because they were informed of it some other way and all agreed to go there... yeah... more people will show up. However, one person sitting on some server alone isn't going to bring anyone in, and empty servers remain empty unless they have some reputation with the players.
[Image: optsig.png]

Now xonotic has 3 servers. Each has zero players.
The new server is running an alternative config with strengthened weapons.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nexuiz server in xonotic browser Cooper Hawks 19 16,235 01-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Japanese or Korean etc. players/servers? poVoq 8 8,518 07-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Orbiter Sunblast
  So I gotten back to playing Xonotic again... where's the Vanilla servers? Matoro 8 10,388 12-18-2014, 05:29 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  Update: Xonotic North America Servers nvz 10 10,581 06-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Last Post: Mossepo
  Teamspeak and/or mumble servers to use for Xonotic? rocknroll237 7 9,836 06-06-2013, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Whats the deal with this cmd on normal servers? Liquid Sin 9 11,263 03-21-2011, 12:48 AM
Last Post: MeloPixel
Heart fav servers The mysterious Mr. 4m 17 16,222 02-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Akari
  Compatibility with Nexuiz servers .me 9 12,014 10-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Last Post: xeros