Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SA]ContactI

Contact I. Shotgun Action.
A small map made for close shotgun fighting. A quick made one as well. Seems to be quite fun to play.
Includes an MG and a Crylink, as well as two Health vending machines with funk_heal in front of them. One heals 10 dps up to 50 and the other one 5 dps up to 75. The mashines use unfa's 5th sound he recently released.

I would like to receive feedback on layout and balance, howether I don't think there is any point in fully redesigning the map. I better create Contact II for that purpose.

[Image: 0_b032a_12f3919c_XXL.jpg]

Download! (v2r2)
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

It doesen't show in my map list when i put it there and start the game
erebus minstanex erebus Angel

It worked fine for me although with different name: aae

The map looks neat. Here is my feedback:
  • Remove upper part (it won't change the gameplay for it is almost impossible to jump up there and down again because of the vent's size and difficulty accessing it). You can replace it with grating and arrange nice detailed ceiling.
  • Add 2 more corridors in the ground level. DO NOT make death ends (like the one with 25 armor) to keep good map's flow.
  • Also: Make some hight differences (not very high. 56 units with nice stairs would do). It will also help players in navigating the map.
  • I couldn't find funk_heal position, there is no visable indicator for this, and probably no time to stand there and idle waiting to stack up while opponets get their frags. This will slow down the gameplay and make unneccesary traffic in some places, leaving others empty. So if I were you I would think over this idea and reconsider flaws and advantages of such thing. Its sometimes better to use old good health bubbles (players instinctively love gatherin them - just like coins in Mario) for they provide fun.
  • Work on details and clipping (clip brushes). Current computer panels look boxy and pretty fake.
  • Slappy-slap shotgun-map. Big Grin

Great job as for the first map. It has its flaws but it has potential. Work on it hard and it will pay off.

Sorry for the mapinfo, I made the name up in the last miment, and forgot to change the mapinfo, so you got it under its technical name.

As for the upper part, have you noticed the jumpad? Or even the room with broken cieling?

Connect the dead ends? no problem.

Func heal... yeah, that wasn't a great idea, howether the idea was that players wouldnt have time to heal and camp, it is placed in the middle of the battle.

As for differenttt levels... small variation make the map messy, so i try to avoid them instinktivly. But that will be done.

Computers... what am i supposed to do with them? they are... wait, which computers are you talking about? The ones in the yellow dead room are the vending machines, and they sortof are supposed to be boxes..

What were you saying about clipping? what do you sujjest i shoud clip?

(05-04-2013, 03:21 PM)aa Wrote: As for the upper part, have you noticed the jumpad? Or even the room with broken cieling?

I did notice them and I still think that upper part won't play a big role in the gameplay. Its hard to access (especially during the fight) and difficult to exit (the single tile hole requires lots of patience and care to go through and vent itself is so narrow that only one player can barely make it through).

(05-04-2013, 03:21 PM)aa Wrote: Connect the dead ends? no problem.

That will help a lot. If you are able to run through your map without stopping and sudden slow downs and making u-turns for at least 15 seconds then you have a good flow.

(05-04-2013, 03:21 PM)aa Wrote: Howether the idea was that players wouldnt have time to heal and camp, it is placed in the middle of the battle.

Therefore whats this heal-pad for? Attracting traffic to the middle? It can be done in various ways, anyway there is no need for such things, map is small and it will be crowded anyway. I would suggest placing more health and armor shards.

(05-04-2013, 03:21 PM)aa Wrote: As for differenttt levels... small variation make the map messy, so i try to avoid them instinktivly.

Not messy. not at all. It makes the map more interesting to play on (especially you were thinking about very particular type of gameplay - shotgun fights. So no problem with granades bouncing randomly from the stairs and ramps)

(05-04-2013, 03:21 PM)aa Wrote: Computers... what am i supposed to do with them? they are... wait, which computers are you talking about? The ones in the yellow dead room are the vending machines, and they sortof are supposed to be boxes..
What were you saying about clipping? what do you sujjest i shoud clip?

I was talking about the computers in the big room with small hole in the ceiling. Leave them right now as they are. Its irrelevant at this step, but try to use brushes textured with clip texture (in common) that will make map less bumpy.

Corridors (especially in the middle - the one with white lamps made of brushes) seem a bit to narrow. Imagine 8 players playing your map... No place for breathing! constant action and plenty of spawn kills isn't always good, especially because of xonotic type of movement (fast jumping).
Players that jump around don't want to bump into the wall or turn the narrow corridor and be stopped by the wall they could not predict. Thats why as a mapper you should not make narrow catwalks but rather wider corridors that allow all type of movements. Players prefer to play against other players then against map itself. Mark my words.

You interested me with your map very much. I love architecture and level designing and therefore I can't help me being so critical and obsessed over the map issues and mapping itself. every time I see new project coming out I have the need to test it, and when I see potential I feel obliged to share my feedback with mappers. If you have any questions about level editing itself, I will try to help.

Good luck

PS. Try to play with lighting colors a bit more. I like how you distinguished two corridors from each other using light changes. Go further, colaborate! Ask Majki to help you out with lighting. use different collors and shaders.
PS2. Damn, I have exams soon. Wink eh...

So do I...

First of all, great job with the visuals! The map itself seem not very interesting though. It needs some 25h's and
maybe 50a and another weapon to make it more fun to play. If you consider making it larger and adding a bit more
items (I understand your idea with SG compat, but still, one more MG and maybe a Mortar would be enough to
make it more insteresting). Also the upper area has to be easier to get out of, maybe have 4 squares instead of 1
as the hole. BUT, the visuals is great as I said good job!

I am nearing the next version now, I remade the dead ends as Justin told me, added height variations, smoothed the map out with cliping, and improved th visuals (which you seem to like.) The lighting is messed up at the moment, and i removed the top level with crylink. To morrow i will place health/aror weapons , how much do you think i need?

Expect the next version tommorow around 17-18 hours.

Ok, here's the new version.
Changes:
  • Merged the dead ends into other rooms.
  • Added height variation.
  • Placed 2 MGs with ammo in special stands. problems: 1.MGs rotate inside, going through walls and the doors, is there any way to stop them rotating? 2. There is something strange in the door behavior, sometimes they just stay open.
  • Placed health and armor around the map. 4 25h, 1 25a 1 50a. One of the 25 healths is in a stand as well, no problems associated with it, but is there realy any point in that (i know that the health inside is slightly misaligned, will deal with it later.)? 50 armor is slightly hidden on the open U-turn.
  • In previous versions, some rooms lightened by surfacelights were too bright, I edited philipk2x.shader to add a light with smaller light meaning.
  • Removed the top level, all holes are clipped, and there is no way to get through. No crylink now.
  • All open areas are supposed to have rain (func_rain), howether it does not seem to work for some reason.

Download!

EDIT: I would like advice on the cdtrack.)

You should change the file names inside the pk3 ...

(05-07-2013, 01:51 PM)aa Wrote: [*]All open areas are supposed to have rain (func_rain), howether it does not seem to work for some reason.

Only the room with the broken ceiling is covered with func_rain. Cover also the outside area.
somewhere

Doess it have rain in it? i(n game)

aa: patch your map properly:
Rename map into aae-v1r1 or sth like this (every next update will be v1r2, v1r3,...,v2r1, v2r3, vnrn-1, vnrn).
You don't have to add srf, prt, autosave.map, shaderlist and .bak files. to the pk3
Also: add botpoints and see how your map plays with bots (right now they stand in one place which is too bad) - about 30 waypoints would do

To add botpoints you go in-game, launch your map, open console ('`' or shift +esc) and type g_waypointeditor 1 and press enter
bind command "g_waypointeditor_spawn" (easier this way)
close consloe, then go around your map pressing this key (spawning botpoints sverywhere - bot will use them to navigate)
open console again, then type in g_waypointeditor_saveall and press enter.
Go to C:\Users\AA\Saved Games\xonotic\data\data\maps and there will be two files: [map name].waypoints and [map name].waypoints.cache. Copy them and put into your maps folder. You don't need to recompile map again.

ATTENTION: ([yourmap]bsp, [yourmap]waypoints, [yourmap]jpg, [yourmap]waypoints.cache have to be named properly and exactly the same.)

I just looked into .map file and you added 29 spawn points which some of them are half in the walls. remove most of them, leave maximum 8 or 10 and pay attention how you place them. SIDE NOTE: You might turn them around. It allows you to control spawns even more.
Also: I've noticed you can actually grab 50 armor without going inside that volt - you just have to go close to this wall.
Not sure about the weapon lockers too.
And running on your map is bloody difficult, you always bump into lamps and walls and ceiling.

I know how to add waypoints... apart, the instruction you gave me would not wok with me, as: 1. i use linux, 2. my usernamme is not AA.

How to make movement easier? Other then highering cieligs and clipping lamps?

I am currently encountering problems with NETradiant, and will be unable to map for some time. When I solve them, I will continue work on it.

Whats your problems with Netradiant? Mabye we can help?

I dont think so. I am missing a library(libgtklext) which is not availible fom my distro(Slackware 14)(changed on weekends,had 13..37 before that). So unless you can make that, you cant do anything.

But there is a good side to that as well: now i can finish the stairwell for Debugger and get a real start on evil remake. Yes, i still remember about that, Cortez and Debugger.

Here. I remade the map from scratch. Now corridors are wider, higher and beveled in certain places to make movement easier.

Details are not present yet, and lighting is not done either...

This is about main geometry and layout. I put a lot of health and armor, and 4 mgs with ammo. Too much of everything, probably.

Download!

I also mad a nice map, thanks to Justin.

Attached Files
.jpg   aae_mini.jpg (Size: 25.8 KB / Downloads: 107)

Nice ... some suggestions
name the map the same thing as the pk3 .. so its easier to find ingame
update the first post with the new version (downloaded the old version first accidentilly)
bringing the crylink back would e a good idea

I like the style you got going there ... although im not sold on the outdoor part ... (them wire fences)

nice work :3

What's wrong with the fences??? ...oh the texture on them... will change that.

After some time, the next version is here.
It as improved visuals, rain, a crylink and a Strength.

Download!

In the .pk3 the most important file is missing - .bsp
Wink
Fix it!

Aaa, Justin, I am sure a person like you can do without it...
I wondered why it was so small...

Here it is

Btw, you should add tdm, ca, ft, kh, ka, arena (all those DMish types) to the mapinfo in the next update. Smile

After quick run on your map I can say its much better then very first version! Jumppad room is nice, quad structure looks realy good. Although I would make quad accessable from every side, right now you can get ther only from one angle and its not very obvious (laser jumping is impossible as well). In some areas ceiling is still a bit low and every single room has only one floor, no other platforms, so its sort of boring height-wise. The jumppad position sometimes forces you to use it even though you don't want to (mabye moving it aside?).
General map's layout consists of two circles and allows only two or three main paths... Players like to have a choice where to go. On your map I am beeing forced to go in specific corridor directions. No place for movement improvisation and not much of a choice.

Whats I strongly suggest:
Make rooms bigger and add architecture to it. (interactive one: platforms, ramps, stairs)
Some ramps in the corridors have low ceilings, make them higher.
Change jumppad position and rethink the quad acces (no need to make it difficult as it is now. During matches it will be allready hard)
Cables in the quad structure are floating in the air...