Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CTF]Catharsis

Btw you can shoot through all the fences and they get sorta invisbile if you are too far away (not even that far actually).

The Quad exit was pretty obvious to me, because I just did a little move (jump) and teleported. It was more like "Ok o.O"-feeling. Maybe the roof of that tiny room could be bigger and another exit (don't know now) to allow fights inside, because that's not possbile for sure now, cause you get teleported out of it quickly.

Current version is on UC too.

(05-22-2013, 04:08 PM)ballist1c Wrote: chill brah, cortez doesn't represent everybody's interest
neither do you

(05-23-2013, 02:36 AM)Justin Wrote: Mabye the map will become offical in further xonotic versions.
thats funny. i already heard this sentence from several mappers now and at the end nothing happens.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Isn't it basically just to sumbit a merge request and then wait till all the core members accept it? If so, the problem is either that no mapper sumbits any requests, or that no develepor accept it or care to test it.

(05-23-2013, 12:49 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(05-22-2013, 04:08 PM)ballist1c Wrote: chill brah, cortez doesn't represent everybody's interest
neither do you

(05-23-2013, 02:36 AM)Justin Wrote: Mabye the map will become offical in further xonotic versions.
thats funny. i already heard this sentence from several mappers now and at the end nothing happens.

That's true, of course I don't. I was stating a fact. Do you always respond in such an immature way to people?

(05-23-2013, 02:01 PM)ballist1c Wrote: Do you always respond in such an immature way to people?

Just to you Wink
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(05-23-2013, 02:40 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(05-23-2013, 02:01 PM)ballist1c Wrote: Do you always respond in such an immature way to people?

Just to you Wink

People, this thread is not about Cortez.

Cortez, stop the trolling, this is getting really old. And ballist1c, think twice before giving him all this attention, he's just begging for it.

This thread is about Justin's map, please respect that and stop the unrelated noise.

I see the situation now, sorry for your trouble man.

Yea justin, I agree with people, a more evident exit from quad room would be good.
Really nice placement of the entries and the room itself, it feels integrated into the map and not a different part altogether like it looked from the screenshot.

As for its purpose though, i'm not sure... in my former game i mapped for (Red Eclipse) there isn't really an equivalent quad item, so it's hard to judge.

Since getting and preventing caps is the biggest concern in CTF, it's hard to say whether quad isnt more suited to a TDM/DM map and it shouldnt be here. it might be distracting.

HOWEVER, the quad can enable a team to go on fast capping sprees and catch up to a winning team, and skew the game in unpredictable ways, similar to in TDM/DM. And since the quad is slightly separated from the rest of the map it can be picked up less randomly than, say, putting it right smack in the middle, right?
But i dont really know since i haven't ever played CTF in xonotic...

its up to you really. gl Smile

(05-23-2013, 01:22 PM)machine! Wrote: Isn't it basically just to sumbit a merge request and then wait till all the core members accept it? If so, the problem is either that no mapper sumbits any requests, or that no develepor accept it or care to test it.

Yes that's it. Actually a little mapping team fixed some things in current official maps and we will have 4 new maps in 0.7.

Played this map few times on pickup(yesterday game was awesome), and i like it. Can't give a some feedback because im too dumb for dat Big Grin
<machine> dude, i know i suck Smile
<OHSNAP! Mossepo> but you dont like finko-suck, u have potential to be good
Diomedes: Finko: You are the most intelligent guy in this community.

In yesterday's matches I found myself getting killed in the flag room and spawn right there again a couple of times. Maybe you could place less spawn points in the flag room, that would make stealing the flag also a bit easier (was shooting down a flag carrier after having got killed three times in the flag room by him...).

Really awesome, Justin, totally professional mapper's work this is.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Ok. After several matches on the map I can say that there is a traffic and action in the areas:
  • Bases ~ 65%
  • Middle ~ 25%
  • Corridors and nex room ~ 10%

I expected to see more action in the last two (especially in the middle). Mabye it is due the professional level of those matches (Expereienced defenders and attackers who just quickly pass through the middle), but I definitely need more data from other matches to find out how the map works.

Anyway I will probably move at least 2 spawn points closer to the middle (one of them probably somewhere in the middle). And Nex will be replaced with nex (probably).

Also Ifrom one player I heard that Quad simply ruined the map. I do wonder why is that? Is it about 'hidden' acces to it? This quad entrance I will most likely change: There are two options:
  1. Make a hole above the mega armor, no teleports just old fasioned hole.
  2. Remove quad entirely.
  3. make simple teleporters in and out, no secret jump up ways.
  4. Your suggestions?

Thank you, Halogene
Thank you, Finko
Thank you, Mr Bougo for bringing this thread back to its topic.

(05-24-2013, 12:14 PM)Justin Wrote: And Nex will be replaced with nex (probably).

Huh? Tongue

Middle parts are never a place of much action, but Quad action. So I would not remove Quad for sure.
I would put it under the bridge in the middle actually.

I think he meant th text.

With electro of course. Sorry, my bad. Quad goes down beneath the 100 armor. Teleports will be removed and I am also considering making a hole in the upper platform (above the armor) to allow laser jumping through the middle (Some are blocked by ceiling there)
[Image: middle_cool.jpg]
Big thanks to matthiaskrgr, who had found quite a few small bugs on the map and informed me yesterday on IRC about them.

EDIT:
Quick update with v3 version:

• trims are fixed
  • most of the bugs are fixed
  • Quad change
  • Teleports gone
  • More explosives
  • One of the player spawns is moved closer to the middle.

Overkill as well as DCC should have v3 version avaliable on them.

First post in the thread also updated.

Need to try new version, try to gather pickup game for this today.
<machine> dude, i know i suck Smile
<OHSNAP! Mossepo> but you dont like finko-suck, u have potential to be good
Diomedes: Finko: You are the most intelligent guy in this community.

Will help.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Sorry if it came a bit late but anyway, a little review at least...

Okey, first of all: Great job with the visuals! It's really neutral in the sense that you don't think
about the visuals since they fit so nicely together. It's not sticking out but in a good way. The map
itself they feels like it has some tiny flaws IMO. As told in first post, it says it's a medium map. I
actually would consider this a large one. This isn't really bad though, just good since it worked
much better for 5on5 than I expected. I'm not sure if 5on5 always plays on vanilla settings even in
competetive play, if so please consider lowering the amounts of 25h's since they're clearly too
many for vanilla at least in competetive play. But, in the main area this clearly becomes an
issue...

I liked...
  • The visuals
  • Good architecture

Some useful feedback...
  • Nex is too powerful (in the middle area at least), this can be fixed in two ways
  • The map could be made slightly smaller, especially the MA/Quad room
  • Item layout could be imrpoved
  • Quad feels kind of weak, since you dont have any good weapon close to pick up

Okey, so the problem with nex could be solved in two ways(well probably more but here's just two
suggestions), either try add pillars in the middle area making it easier to dodge, another idea is
this really wild idea, i don't expect you to follow this but it's just a suggestion:
[Image: Ke57DtH.png]

Okey, well, lets move on to item layout. Since the main room is soo big, please consider adjusting it. Also, please put better weapon in the middle, this will probably increase combat over
those weapons. This will also solve the issue with the Quad being too weak. So basically put
something like the MG or maybe switch postition of Electro and RL.

Anyway good job!

EDIT: Realize I repeat myself several times etc. in this post, sorry but I'm really tired at the moment I hope it come to some use at least!

EDIT2: With "big" i mean "open" as in "very open area" so to speak.

I think that the Hagar which is near the quad works just fine...

Hagar ain't good quad weapon as it's hard to aim with, MG would be much much more powerful while not adding a overpowered weapon in the middle.

Is there actualy one in the map? I remember ammo for it, but cant remember mg itself.

Machine:
There are currently 8x25HP's in the map. I will probably follow your advice and remove 2 from the middle (others 2 will remain) as I saw they weren't picked that much in the combats.
Your idea of putting stronger weapon in the middle is good. Replacing electro with rocket launcher should be fine solution.
I would not say that middle is very big, but I will consider adding some kind of pillars (based on hexagons- narrowing to the top)
AA: MG is on the botton of the base (in version v3).

Also I saw player that picks quad beeing killed just after doing so, but that happens very often in intense 5v5 matches. There is allready quad, mega armor and hagar as well as some shards in the middle which shall be enough. I will not replace hagar with MG, this would make quad run too easy.

I am very happy to see big improovement in the lastest version in terms of scores. While on other maps like Spider scores are usually extremly low, on Catharsis 5v5 match there was no need for any overtimes. Game might seems slightly one sided sometimes, but I think the reason of that is unbalanced teams, not unbalanced map itself.

Oh yeah. Now remeber it.

Thank you all for constructive pieces of advice. Also big thanks to Samual, who spent some of his time to point out map's issues and problems.
Version v4 isn't focused on visual changes, but mostly on gameplay and a bit on brushwork and bug fixing.

SCREENSHOT:

[Image: v4preview.jpg]

What changed:
  • small changes in item placement in the middle.
  • ALL barrels are now explosive and explosion DMG was slightly increased.
  • Trim textures and trim brushes are now ok.
  • In the nex room there is some boxes you can use as a trickjump, it doesn't slow your movement if you do it right.
  • Cirrcular jumppads replaced square ones.
  • fances are right now clipped and the middle ones you CANNOT shoot of pass through.
  • I made the rock tunel slightly higher and fixed shadow bugs
  • Some more minor issues and bugs were fixed

If anyone has interesting video with catharsis action: feel free to post it here.

Nice update, thanks for making the middle room less open, or at least adding some cover. Smile

Here's some stuff I found

A little bug http://i.imgur.com/6TfYETT.jpg (properly two brushes on the same spot)

You can't see the net/fence with high picmip, http://i.imgur.com/5JuwlHz.jpg , please try to make it possible to see if it's a net or at least that it is something, since it kinda ruins gameplay when you try jump thourhg them, considering many playing with high picmip.

Anyway, GJ! Smile

Very nice indeed. It's getting better and better. One thing I noticed is this corner over here (see attached image), where I get stuck unexpectedly when racing up the stairs. This is especially annoying if you're the flag carrier :o)

Also I experimented with the barrels a bit and it seems you can make Xonotic use excessive CPU if you manage to stand in the barrel place when a barrel spawns. It spawns inside you and you can't get away unless you blow the barrel up (which is fun but has its downsides).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DM/CTF] Sirlent (Soylent remake) (added CTF version) _para 7 1,657 01-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: _para
  [Vanilla, XPM CTF] antares-ctf1_b2 (Silica CTF) Antares* 0 2,149 11-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  Fickle-ctf [CTF] [ONS] nowego4 31 32,496 11-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Mario