Create an account

Poll: Should Xonotic be published on Steam?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, that's an excellent idea!
41.03%
16 41.03%
Meh. I don't care either way.
17.95%
7 17.95%
No, that's a terrible idea!
41.03%
16 41.03%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[SUGGESTION] Distribution through Steam

Mr. Bougo:
He saying that I gonna leave this question to another person=
(07-13-2012, 04:28 PM)edh Wrote: So please, can we just leave this to a fully informed member of the dev team when the time is right to broach the question? Earlier speculation may not help however wonderful me might envisage this to be.
Which is completly off topic since I said this earlier:
machine! Wrote:Ofc, I'll not mention Xonotic, I'll just ask him about FOSS games in general.

I just try to post information here that you guys might be interested in, if you don't like the information or think I would do something different then do it yourself.

And he IS negative, all answers I've got from him since I joined this forums he has disagreed which is okey, but being negative all the time isen't good, instead of saying what he dislike or disagree with he could try to do something by himself. Like in this case he could have sent a mail to the right person at Valve and asked the right question instead. If he do so we'll all here get out something useful. Sure he is partly contrsuctive, but he ain't any productive of the way I've seen him.

(07-14-2012, 09:53 AM)machine! Wrote: Ask them yourself if you want a different answer!

No, because the most useful answer will only be one put to them by the dev team. There's no point in any other question being asked.

Have you not considered yourself that Gabe's answer is untirely noncommital and could be considered politely dismissive? I used to handle a lot of marketing requests from the field and the responses from the product division were frequently along those lines. Often canned responses when they don't see the idea fitting in with their general development direction. They obviously wouldn't outright tell you that they won't or tell you that it's a stupid idea even if they thought it personally because that would be unprofessional. Remember this is what Gabe does for his job, not in his spare time and he won't have risen to lead 300 people without being able to play the corporate game a little.

Please remember that I only comment on this to be constructive. Negative and constructive are not mutually exclussive. I do this from perhaps a different viewpoint than many here as I have a lot of corporate experience.

Edit: and now I see the response. I see what you're saying. You have your opinion.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

He can NOT do it by himself, and neither can you. It's something for the Xonotic Team to do. This has been said numerous times; I hope putting it in bold will finally make you acknowledge that.

Also, stop calling people "negative" just because they don't agree with you. It's annoying and pointless.

We took your post for what it was. There is no problem as long as you do not act on Xonotic's behalf. Which, as you rightly say, you didn't. So it's fine. But you also have to understand that you are posting your information in the Xonotic's Suggestion Box thread entitled "Distribution through Steam" and this will make some people wary.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

OMG, I said I just posted it here beucase you guys might be instested in it. If not, please go on and further discuss the TOPIC. I would asked this anyway as i said BEFORE. I did say from the beginning that the mail I sent and later posted here were for personal interests, nothing to even do with Xonotic. I just posted it here since I THOUGHT you guys could be insterested in it.

And you got this response becase people thought you might want to know why it's not helping much. Stop with the persecution complex already.

EDIT: Back on topic, please?

Which topic? I think that's the problem of this thread: there's just not a lot to discuss about this subject yet. Not unless you want me to repeat my Steam&Xonotic doom scenario here :p

Right. We should all agree to have this thread locked until we get an update from the team.

Agreed, suggest it is locked with a post to the effect that Steam distribution has licencing complications and the dev team will discuss with Valve directly when the time is right.

Ok, nevermind, not locking this.

At least this discussion is over. Let's discuss topics relevant to Xonotic's involvement with Steam and keep it at that. We are the community, we will play no part in getting Xonotic to steam, at least not until the Team decides it.

k forums seem like a graveyard lately so i'll stir some shit up

info

when we doing this? 1.0?

discuss.

Where on earth have you been?!

Locking this thread, direct your replies in the main thread.

EDIT: Obvious suggestion: read the thread first.

• Only if the Steam version is an |ADDITIONAL| one it could be interesting on top of that an upcoming Steam version will be avaible (soon?!) on pc/mac & |LINUX|.
• |We have nothing to loose| if the steam version will be still |open-source| and as free(dom) than the current one.
+ And steam will keep the game updated automatically.
+ And i guess than Xonotic will increase of popularity (~>More players)
Our steam Group:
-> http://steamcommunity.com/groups/xonotic
Join us & get ready to frag some bitches!!!

As Bougo said before, we can lose the great community we have, it might get crowded with trolls.

I don't think it's a compelling argument against Steam distribution though. Just something to keep in mind for all the optimists.

i agree with this idea.

now it's a pain in the ass to install or update Xonotic since it's distributed in just one archive. with Steam or similar distribution software it would be much easier

(08-01-2012, 10:04 PM)nightspotlight Wrote: i agree with this idea.

now it's a pain in the ass to install or update Xonotic since it's distributed in just one archive. with Steam or similar distribution software it would be much easier

It's not a pain in the ass to upgrade, there's a script that does just that. I'm not sure if it's in 0.6 yet though.

And I'd say going through steam to extract a zip archive in some obscure place is more of a pain in the ass than downloading a file and extracting it "manually". If anything, making an installer is a better solution to what you perceive as a problem than going through steam.

(08-02-2012, 03:57 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: It's not a pain in the ass to upgrade, there's a script that does just that. I'm not sure if it's in 0.6 yet though.

And I'd say going through steam to extract a zip archive in some obscure place is more of a pain in the ass than downloading a file and extracting it "manually". If anything, making an installer is a better solution to what you perceive as a problem than going through steam.

doesn't Steam install games automatically?

Sure, but you still have to do some clicking through menus and screens before you get there. I don't see much of a difference compared with the manual unpacking, except maybe that it's more intuitive. I guess you're right, that makes Steam easier because it's more familiar for some users Smile

Having an installer of our own would be a better solution to that problem, but it's not really possible because we would have to maintain that on multiple platforms, and there's nobody to do this Tongue

About installers...
BitRock Install Builder is a nice installer, that's easily buildable for many major platforms (linux, mac and windows included, it can also create deb and rpm packages), they give free licenses to FLOSS projects too.

I used it a couple of times for my own projects and it's really good.

links:
http://installbuilder.bitrock.com/
http://installbuilder.bitrock.com/open-s...enses.html
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Quote:The license can only be used to build installers for your project.
The license cannot be transferred or used for commercial purposes.
This might be a problem. Xonotic is a GPL project, and although it would be perfectly fine to have the installer fetch the data online to meet the GPL's terms, I don't think it's a good thing to have a proprietary installer for a FLOSS project.

Releasing on Steam would be the greatest move the devs have ever made. There seriously would be nothing to regret. And Xonotic can actually move on and become a really well-noticed competitive game.

(08-25-2012, 07:29 AM)Zorai Wrote: Releasing on Steam would be the greatest move the devs have ever made. There seriously would be nothing to regret. And Xonotic can actually move on and become a really well-noticed competitive game.

Please read the areas of this topic where GPL licencing has already been discussed. It may sound like a wonderful move but there are hurdles to be jumped to get there and the answer may be a big fat no if the Xonotic licence and Steams licence, terms and conditions are incompatible. If the Valve lawyers say no, then that means no.

(08-25-2012, 07:29 AM)Zorai Wrote: Releasing on Steam would be the greatest move the devs have ever made. There seriously would be nothing to regret. And Xonotic can actually move on and become a really well-noticed competitive game.

Also, we *might* be inconvenienced by the kind of gamer this would attract. It's silly to speculate, yes, but I think it's wrong to say that we can't regret this in any way.

Once the time is right I would like a firm discussion about this. Where can I get a ticket to make my case to the dev team? :p

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [BUG] Sniper Rifle Can Shoot Through Walls Space Ace 3 2,812 03-09-2018, 06:32 AM
Last Post: Julius
  [SUGGESTION] Bringing back a few assets from Nexuiz as well as digging through the maps section Lee_Stricklin 1 3,616 12-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Steam ID in contact information djstrikes3 10 8,563 11-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Steam: why not an independent closed source launcher? Ferk 14 16,511 11-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Last Post: djstrikes3
  [SUGGESTION] Steam and Xon promotion. end user 35 34,805 10-09-2014, 02:51 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot
  [SUGGESTION] Splash damage VISUALLY bleeding through surfaces Lee_Stricklin 5 6,781 09-20-2014, 07:04 AM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] [SUGGESTION] Please Release Xonotic On Steam Iconoclast 4 5,871 12-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Browsing through map information Mirio 1 2,808 07-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Last Post: nowego4
  [SUGGESTION] Getting Xonotic to work with the Steam Community overlay MC SE7EN 4 7,279 01-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Nesquick
  [SUGGESTION] Possibility to get own ip:port through RCON? Akari 0 2,750 11-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Last Post: Akari