Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus Player Model

Wink 
Hi,
I'm new to xonotic.
I'm doing a project for art class where i'd need a Player Model that looks more or less like Jesus. Unfortunately I'm a total noob in programming/modeling/open source gaming in general, so I was wondering if you could give me any advice on how I could approach this exercise.
I did some research to find out what shooter I should look into and xonotic seems to be the right place (or not?)

Thanks in advance!!!
sirphantom

This better not be due anytime soon.

Hi and welcome to the forums. Unfortunately for your request I'd strongly object to any support for your project on this forum, as Xonotic does not and will not have anything to do with religion or politics. Supporting the development of a player model that intends to resemble what people think Jesus might have looked like would lead to a religious figure show up in a first person shooter equipped with heavy guns and shredding other figures into gory pieces. I would consider this highly inappropriate, and while you are free to experiment, modify the game and create what you like for it, I will not allow the official Xonotic forums to "officially" support this idea.

If you have to do this, please seek other channels for information.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Creating a player model for Xonotic from scratch is not easy. You will have to use tools like blender which take quite a while to learn. Furthermore, there is barely any (decent) documentation available on how to create a player model in Xonotic. So you would need someone who is experienced on that topic (I am not) and willed to help you out.
Most people will probably rather start endless discussions about religion and politics in video games instead of helping you with your project. Good luck.

(06-12-2013, 03:40 AM)Halogene Wrote: Hi and welcome to the forums. Unfortunately for your request I'd strongly object to any support for your project on this forum, as Xonotic does not and will not have anything to do with religion or politics. Supporting the development of a player model that intends to resemble what people think Jesus might have looked like would lead to a religious figure show up in a first person shooter equipped with heavy guns and shredding other figures into gory pieces. I would consider this highly inappropriate, and while you are free to experiment, modify the game and create what you like for it, I will not allow the official Xonotic forums to "officially" support this idea.

If you have to do this, please seek other channels for information.

I appreciate the intent, but don't forget we're still supporting the creation of human figures that are meant to be shredded to pieces. That's highly inappropriate too!

(06-12-2013, 03:40 AM)Halogene Wrote: Supporting the development of a player model that intends to resemble what people think Jesus might have looked like would lead to a religious figure show up in a first person shooter equipped with heavy guns and shredding other figures into gory pieces.

Now I'm thinking that might be a fun mod .. Jesus vs. Mohammed, Thor vs. Vishnu - so many opportunities! And I'm totally aware that some people might find this "inappropriate", but we live in the 21st century, and there are also people who just don't give a fuck about religions. Which still doesn't mean they don't respect the beliefs of others.

On a more serious note, I don't think he was asking to make this an official player model, but just wants some help with creating and adding a model to Xonotic. That can't be too hard, there are ponies already (also inofficial, so everything's fine) Smile
[Image: 9216.png] Web: YouTubeSoundCloudFlickrzykure.de[unconnected]
IRC: #uc.xonotic #xonotic #xonotic.de #xonotic.pickup

I'm not saying it mustn't happen, all I'm saying is that I don't want the official Xonotic forum to be associated with supporting this. If someone from this community wants to provide help, I don't care, but then please choose a different communication channel.

And as for human player models that are meant to be shredded into pieces - yes, indeed, that's inappropriate, too. But we're entering a whole different level of inappropriateness if we're mixing that with religious content. Feel free to disagree with me, MrBougo, but I honestly think that is something the official Xonotic forum should not provide support for.
My Xonstats Profile

(06-12-2013, 01:05 PM)Halogene Wrote: And as for human player models that are meant to be shredded into pieces - yes, indeed, that's inappropriate, too. But we're entering a whole different level of inappropriateness if we're mixing that with religious content. Feel free to disagree with me, MrBougo, but I honestly think that is something the official Xonotic forum should not provide support for.

hm hm. We already have a lot of humans shredded to pieces in the game. Pyria, Ignis, Umbra, probably Erebus...
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Thanks for all the answers.
I definitely don't want to offend anyone. This model is for private use only in order to finish this art project. I don't intend to upload that model.
I totally understand the concerns about xonotics community and i dont intend to harm it in any way.
Though if anyone has any ideas he can pm me. I was thinking maybe i could adapt an existing Human model. It doesnt have to be perfect in any way.

Thanks a lot
sirphantom

You're welcome. You might want to have a look at #xonotic.editing on quakenet irc. If you're not familiar with IRC, use this link.
My Xonstats Profile

Personally i don't give a rothen nickel whom you/i/we splatter, however staying away from any identifiable person is likely a good idea *in the official release*. Other than that i wouldn't worry too much about it as theres always someone who takes offense to any given thing in a game such as this.

As for the modeling itself, iirc the xonotic release contains the player model sources (if not the mediasource repos in xonotic git surely does). Those are blender files if memory serves, so (assuming you base your work on those) you either need to use blender or find a way to convert the model to the program you want to use. Those files also contains all the animation groups you need and i do believe dev.xonotic.org has some topics on this subject too (http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/...der_to_IQM for example) despite what asyyy say, this is basically all the *xonotic specific* information you need to make a model, the rest is is "just" traditional model/texture/rigging/animation work.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Model Switching? moemoemoemoemoe 0 1,559 12-04-2022, 12:26 AM
Last Post: moemoemoemoemoe
Photo Morphed's used brushes for weapon and item model texturing LegendGuard 0 1,712 11-30-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Fox player model MirceaKitsune 12 17,488 07-12-2021, 01:33 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [NEED HELP] Shotgun model from nexuiz v1.1 Kotangens 1 2,409 03-06-2021, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  Texture and Player Model Creation Help Molnija 5 4,977 09-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Molnija
  Player model links end user 1 3,408 09-13-2017, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Julius
  Mega Nyx New Model? Beagle 2 3,874 01-14-2016, 06:17 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  Vixen player model for Xonotic MirceaKitsune 7 14,609 01-12-2016, 04:59 PM
Last Post: SnowblindPariah
  Uploaded 21 models - Model repo end user 4 7,481 11-19-2015, 01:51 PM
Last Post: end user
  Xonotic work light model zlsa 3 3,880 04-03-2015, 05:25 PM