Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Portal-like/Puzzle/Gauntlet game mode?

I've noticed the porto/Port-O-Launch weapon showing up in some maps (like Capture City Xon), and, of course, plenty of warpzones in many maps. Can the effects of the porto/Port-O-Launch weapon and warpzones (2-way travel, gravity-based reorientation, and reflective to a short distance) be combined to make a separate game mode? I think it would be worth trying, to have a puzzle game mode, with portals, moving platforms, doors, lava, etc. and have a team-based competition to reach the goal through the gauntlet. It adds variety. Maybe even make a separate vehicle portal gun to add even more.

I do know that the portals shouldn't face each other, due to performance issues, but I'm sure there has to be a way to solve it, or at least around it. Maybe showing another portal black in the reflection? Something.

Niiiiiiice idea, If we have races or Nexball, why not this? Big Grin
The team-based competition seems interesting, like "Who will be the first team to complete the level?" or whatever Tongue

The thing is, maybe we need specific maps and so on. I'll wait to see what experts say Tongue
XMPP Conferences
xonotic@conference.jabber.org → General discussion
xonotic@conf.jabberes.org → Spanish-speakers
I pronounce it Shonotic.

Don't you think that such a mode has rather low replayability? Once you know the solution, it's no longer fun... You'd need a crapton of maps, so ppl won't be able to memorise the solutions to all of them.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

You can still compete for speed.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

You could put portals on the lava and kill others creating another portal under them or something. It's not a nice idea but with that, I mean we could benefit more from Port-O-Launch.

That's why I like the idea.
XMPP Conferences
I pronounce it Shonotic.

Unfortunately, creating warpzones dynamically (such as with the port-0-launch) is not currently possible. basically, warpzones have to be build into the map and compiled with it. It's just one of the limitations of working with the quake engine.

I will say that the port -o- launch actually does function a lot like the portal gun (a huge improvement over what it used to be), Including preserved momentum and such. Really all that would be needed would be to make it port you faster.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(06-13-2013, 07:52 AM)theShadow Wrote: It's just one of the limitations of working with the quake engine.

This limitations could be improved in the future? I mean, is it possible to do that? I'm not asking for someone to do it, I only want to know if that limitations can be transformed into <<unlimitations>>.
XMPP Conferences
I pronounce it Shonotic.

Well, I suppose viewing through the portal is over-rated a bit.

A puzzle may have one solution (or more), but a gauntlet makes getting there all the more challenging, like multiple paths, various moving obstacles where good timing is necessary, as well as taking out the enemy before they make it there. If you want some examples, you can take a look at Tremulous' "gauntlet" and "mission_one" maps. They and others work to an extent. (Only difference is you can also build stuff there to help out.)

I also remember some great and very fun race-puzzle maps in UT2k4, where you raced around like lunatics in bumper cars and shot each other while going at high speed along a thin floating roadway. That did involve a lot more "bumping" ability than Xonotic has atm, but it really didn't get old.

I know those used to portal are thinking solve the puzzle and get to the end, but that's not really what I had in mind. I suppose the portal-like part would be an interesting addition (especially with vehicles), but the main aspect would be struggling to get to the goal through obstacles that don't rely on knowing the solution. Instead they would rely on your ability and skill at timing, avoiding obstacles, and getting to the goal without being shredded or knocked off by an enemy/obstacles (think more Prince of Persia). It would be interesting to have to use the hook as well, modified to be like spiderman's web sling (already managed to do that) to stay off the ground and away from obstacles/hazards, as well as getting in position to place a portal (maybe having to die in the process, and having to use the portal next time).

Flying vehicles can be used to race and fight through tight caverns with columns and stalactites/stalagmites, including the giant fat guppy flying vehicle ... maybe its shields can be put to good use.

We really have to consider if this mode meshes well with the core goals of this game. In my opinion it is too much of a deviation both technically and conceptually.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

http://youtu.be/PmP8IqHtj2s & http://youtu.be/-hSl7Fd7XxI Something like that?
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(06-26-2013, 03:16 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: http://youtu.be/PmP8IqHtj2s & http://youtu.be/-hSl7Fd7XxI Something like that?

That's a bad example. As a fast-paced shooter, movement is an important part of Xonotic. Don't forget how our race mode started, with CTF flag capture records.

You could have picked nexball as a counterexample, but I would argue that it's a quick hack of a game mode made for laughs. It's a fun addition to have to the game that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Making a gauntlet-type game mode wouldn't be as straightforward. But that sort of mode would be a great idea for a third-party mod.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Is adding a Quake-like laser to the main game a good idea? cushinga 2 1,074 03-28-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  [SUGGESTION] Sumo game mode BuddyFriendGuy 2 1,978 02-24-2023, 02:32 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Nexiuz-like tutorial for beginners agvant1b0 1 2,411 05-19-2022, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Freddy
  [SUGGESTION] Power-ups like in Quake/Nexuiz Classic DrAndi 2 2,660 02-06-2022, 01:35 AM
Last Post: z411
  [SUGGESTION] Some "modern" Suggestions (Wipeout Mode, Electro Color) NoClue 1 1,986 10-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mario
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] A NEW GAME MODE - HIDE AND SEEK! Kotangens 5 3,667 07-30-2020, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [SUGGESTION] Destroyable Health mode. Magician 11 7,715 03-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SUGGESTION] Relic Duels (game mode) munyul 5 4,832 02-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SUGGESTION] Maps that promote Tribes-like gameplay Lee_Stricklin 3 3,316 08-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Last Post: hox3d
  [SUGGESTION] Borderless (Fullscreen) Windowed Mode Iokast 0 3,218 07-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Iokast