Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xonotic is popular with high-school students

First a little background: at my school there are 3 network locations that are mounted for students. One is the student's personal files, 2 is a shared drive that teachers keep stuff on they know students will need to access, and 3 is called "apps", I have never personally explored this one. On the shared drive, hidden away is a games folder that many students and a few teachers know about. A couple months ago, I decided to put a copy of the latest autobuild of Xonotic in the games folder. Now I will see people I don't even know playing it during free periods, and hear them talking about it at lunch or in the halls. If you know are still in high school, and you have an opportunity to share xonotic via network drive, flash drive, etc, then do so, I bet it will become very popular within a couple months.
I am Xonotic, and so can you!
Pwnage, a close relative of sausage.
Look how terrible I am:
[Image: 20796.png]

Heh. your school has a a nice computer park, if it can run Xonotic. Back in my time Quake2 was barely running in software renderer picmipped and mipmapped down to the lowest possible graphical quality.
Good times Big Grin
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(06-18-2013, 02:44 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: Heh. your school has a a nice computer park, if it can run Xonotic. Back in my time Quake2 was barely running in software renderer picmipped and mipmapped down to the lowest possible graphical quality.
Good times Big Grin

Yeah, my College PCs aren't even good with Open Arena. That has to be toned WAY down to an ultra low resolution before it's even remotely playable.

Most of the computer labs have desktops with i7s, AMD graphics, and 4 GB RAM, but are running WXP, oddly enough. I can turn everything up to max except relief mapping, anti-aliasing, and realtime dynamic lighting and get a reasonable framerate.
Look how terrible I am:

You must live in... I don't know where there are such schools in the world, it is probably a private school for...
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Nice idea! Hope we will see some new foks around. Smile

http://pittsfordschools.org/mendon.cfm
^not a private school Wink
Look how terrible I am:

I did something similar on my school a few years ago. But that wasn't really a big succes, the computers crashed instantly whenever you wanted to load a map....

A posh on0e anyway...
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Damn... If I had known about such idea when I was in the high-school, I would have definitely done it! That would be great fun watching artists and girls from the class playing Xonotic during the long break. We only knew about frisbee back in days.... Tongue

My schools computers suck.
Now we all get macs (Which the OS hangs a lot ._. )

HA! I did this with Nexuiz when I was in tech school and would also run that game off of a flash drive and play bot matches in my high school when I got the chance. Though I had to tone the game down a bit to run it on the highschool's integrated graphics and 1Ghz-2Ghz Pentium 4 systems.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

It's cool seeing people play it for the first time when the fastest thing they've ever played is CoD. They're awestruck for like the first 5 minutes, then they start getting the hang of it and they're like "holy crap this game is amazing" (that is a direct quote).
Look how terrible I am:

I am a highschool freshman.

some quotes from skype calls:

codeobsidian Wrote:OH MY GOD IM FLYING A HELICOPTER
AHAHAHA
THIS IS AMAZING
THE CRAZY PHYSICS

s4pph1qu3 Wrote:jesus christ i could get whiplash turning side to side in this game.
o_o
omfg somebody on my team is a pony
BEST MOD EVAR

and my favourite
[Image: EdRPwu1.png]

Lol, I did this with Minecraft at my school's computers, just to try for fun.

A week later all the first grade kids were playing it on the computers, it was pretty funny because it escalated so quickly Big Grin

I tried the same thing with Xonotic, but we just played it once during break time, it's nice how easy it is to quickly setup a multiplayer game, but the dude that looked after the computers told us to remove it :<
[Image: 4766.png]
[My personal website: AquaNova ] - <> - [Ingame: <PsyX> :::: <-Archer-< :::: ]

(06-22-2013, 06:34 PM)Archer Wrote: the dude that looked after the computers told us to remove it :<

After we were warned that it was "too violent", I just added an autoexec.cfg script that contained "cl_gentle_damage 1
cl_gentle_gibs 1" and the supervisors were fine after that.
Look how terrible I am:

(06-23-2013, 09:51 AM)Zeo Wrote:
(06-22-2013, 06:34 PM)Archer Wrote: the dude that looked after the computers told us to remove it :<

After we were warned that it was "too violent", I just added an autoexec.cfg script that contained "cl_gentle_damage 1

Because there's no way we'll allow virtual blood at school, that's too violent. But virtual guns are fine, I guess.

Logic!

(06-23-2013, 12:47 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:

Because there's no way we'll allow virtual blood at school, that's too violent. But virtual guns are fine, I guess.

Logic!

Yeah for some reason "violence" is defined as blood and gore by many people.
Look how terrible I am:

Good to see some new people around Smile

(06-18-2013, 12:09 PM)Zeo Wrote: http://pittsfordschools.org/mendon.cfm

Rachacha!

Xonotic is rochester's game

(06-23-2013, 01:31 PM)Zeo Wrote:
(06-23-2013, 12:47 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:

Logic!

Yeah for some reason "violence" is defined as blood and gore by many people.

I guess it's the paintball logic. Without the graphic gore, it feels closer to a game like the paintball, which most parents (and the school administration mentioned in this post) have easier time to accept.

That is the reality, logical or not. Perhaps at least we can consider making non-gore effect the default?

I personally turned off the visual gore effect and tried to replace the screaming and moaning sounds, so when I play Xonotic, my families won't complain about it.

I thought about adding the feature to the code so users can choose to use a more neutral sound pack, but from this poll result, I doubt such feature would be appreciated.

Don't know about making Xonotic kids-compliant, but I for one would appreciate extending the "disable gore effects" option to the sound effects. I also would have nothing against making non-gore default, though I fear that people would expect gory effects from a FPS and would loose interest before even getting into the game mechanics. As strange and even ridiculous as it may seem to me, I very often get to hear that the violence part is important to many people. To me, it's disgusting instead, but I'm probably just a weirdo.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(06-01-2015, 05:36 PM)Ogger73 Wrote:
(06-18-2013, 12:09 PM)Zeo Wrote: http://pittsfordschools.org/mendon.cfm

Rachacha!

Xonotic is rochester's game

A guy wanted to run a Xonotic tourney at RIT too. Not sure what makes Rochester the Xonotic hub but I'm not complaining Big Grin
[Image: 38443.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can we make Xonotic more popular? anoob 29 9,747 10-01-2022, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Trixtoxia
Tongue Why Xonotic isn't as popular sovietcat 35 23,928 07-28-2021, 05:50 PM
Last Post: end user
Question CRA no longer popular? /dev/zero 4 3,252 10-17-2020, 01:36 PM
Last Post: end user
  High Arc Accuracy + Damage & XonStats Antares* 4 3,614 07-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  How popular is xonotic? UncleSam 14 13,466 05-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Minska+Hook to popular? Bomber 1 2,962 02-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Maddin
  Any reason why instagib is so popular? Matoro 14 15,631 01-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Last Post: machine!
  Anyone tried Xonotic on a high performance android? poVoq 1 4,064 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SouL
  why stormkeep is the most popular map? adem 7 7,855 02-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Antibody