Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Can't see non-Latin symbols in-match (localization).

Question 
So, i've finished Ukrainian translation, but only the menus are shown translated in the game, everything in-match is still in English. The score table, various game messages and counters, everything. I've checked the Russian translation, and it had the same problem. I also can't type in Russian or Ukrainian in console, it displays weird symbols. Any ideas?

Can I have a screenshot for the typing of weird symbols?

As for the scoreboard etc, you neet to wait until the next map, so that csqc reloads. If you set the language before joining a game, it'll work right away, but if you change the language while ingame it needs a restart (you can also disconnect/reconnect). I tested it with the french translation and it works.

The Russian translation is hardly complete, it says so in the language selection screen. It doesn't have csqc replacement strings for the scoreboard so it displays in english. Feel free to help complete it: translate.xonotic.org, and forum thread.

Symbols in the console when typing in Ukrainian/Russian:
[Image: w8Vn6Pm.jpg]

Quote:The Russian translation is hardly complete, it says so in the language selection screen.
Language selection screen shows wrong data. If you open the Russian menu.dat.po file you'll see that Russian translation is like 99% finished. The lines like "Your teammate got the flag! Protect him!" are translated, but i can't see them in the game. Same for the Ukrainian menu.dat.po file, it's completely translated, but the language selection screen still shows only 21% and i can't see any translated lines during a match. I've tried French translation, and it worked fine too.

Maybe it has something to do with packing and unpacking the menu.dat.po file? I get it from the xonotic-data.pak, and then return it back using the WinRar.

(06-28-2013, 03:58 AM)Harmata Wrote:
Quote:The Russian translation is hardly complete, it says so in the language selection screen.
Language selection screen shows wrong data. If you open the Russian menu.dat.po file you'll see that Russian translation is like 99% finished. The lines like "Your teammate got the flag! Protect him!" are translated, but i can't see them in the game. Same for the Ukrainian menu.dat.po file, it's completely translated, but the language selection screen still shows only 21% and i can't see any translated lines during a match. I've tried French translation, and it worked fine too.

Maybe it has something to do with packing and unpacking the menu.dat.po file? I get it from the xonotic-data.pak, and then return it back using the WinRar.

NEVER edit the game's original PK3s. There is never, ever a case where this is needed. What you're trying to do can always be done by other means, without touching the original pk3s. You should return to the original PK3s before we continue. I think you can do that using the rsync-updater, look in the 0.7 release thread in the news section.

Also, the russian translation shows as 54% completed here, using a semi-recent git build. It is not complete, there are no strings for the scoreboard.

Quote:What you're trying to do can always be done by other means, without touching the original pk3s.
So how am i suppose to check the quality of translation?
Quote:You should return to the original PK3s before we continue.
The version of the menu.dat.uk.po file that came with the 0.7 version contained strings that should have appeared during a match, but they didn't. I've never seen Ukrainian language in-match.
Quote:It is not complete, there are no strings for the scoreboard.
Well, even the completed strings do not appear for me.

menu.dat.uk.po contains translated strings for the menu code. If you look inside, you'll notice that all the files being referenced are in qcsrc/menu/. The scoreboard is part of the client code (qcsrc/client/), whose strings are in csprogs.dat.uk.po.

If you want to have the ukrainian menu and client translations without editing the pk3, you can simply override the pk3's by putting them in your personal data directory.

Any file contained in a loaded pk3 can be overridden by placing a file of the exact same path and filename in either:
  • The personal data directory
  • A pk3 in the personal data directory whose filename comes after the original pk3 alphabetically
  • A pk3dir directory (abcdef.pk3dir) in the personal data directory whose filename comes after the original pk3 alphabetically
(and a similar list for the install directory, I don't remember the priority. I don't remember how it behaves for pk3 and pk3dir with the same name).
You can also simulate deletion of a file in the original pk3 by creating an empty file with the same name in one of the locations listed above.

Since menu.dat.uk.po is located at the root of the data pk3, you can simply put menu.dat.uk.po at the root of your personal data directory (that is, the same directory as your config.cfg).

Soooo, am i suppose to translate csprogs.dat.po or what?

If you're the ukrainian translator, sure. Use translate.xonotic.org (see my first post in this thread).

Oh WOW. Why am i hearing about this file only now? Why menu.dat.po contains the same strings as csprogs.dat.po but they are not displayed?
Gosh darn it diddly doodly. Don't answer, i'll go translate every file in the game including the source code. HOW WOULD YOU LIKE THE SOURCE CODE IN UKRAINIAN HUH? Yeah, yeah, that's what I thought. SOLVED.

(06-29-2013, 12:23 AM)Harmata Wrote: Oh WOW. Why am i hearing about this file only now? Why menu.dat.po contains the same strings as csprogs.dat.po but they are not displayed?

If they contain the same strings, that's coincidental; that means both menu and client code use the same string. The .po file contains the source file name above the pair of strings, notice how menu.dat.po has all strings from qcsrc/menu/ and client.dat.po from qcsrc/client/.

EDIT: Ah, it actually has some overlap in qcsrc/common/. I don't know what we can do about that. But the strings you're looking for are in csprogs.dat.po only (see msgid "Accuracy stats (average %d%%)" for example, which displays in the scoreboard).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Can't hear the announcer voice anymore gianmarco 4 512 01-16-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: gianmarco
  [NEED HELP] Trouble with setting up a non-local private server spaceenfix 3 3,532 03-22-2023, 12:53 AM
Last Post: FAF
  [INVALID] Resolution can't be changed Majki 17 13,119 08-14-2022, 02:41 AM
  [NEED HELP] Keybind Slovak/Czech symbols stanoe 2 1,617 12-22-2021, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Cupatru
  [NEED HELP] Can't set 2k resolution noteven 4 2,912 05-07-2021, 02:33 PM
Last Post: noteven
  [NEED HELP] Can't join anymore fenjrill 5 3,077 07-17-2020, 07:04 AM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [NEED HELP] Sudden loss of sound in Xonotic, can not get it to return. SeveredinTwain 5 3,932 03-26-2020, 05:55 AM
  [SOLVED] how can i get defrag entities in netradiant? bananovenc 5 3,568 01-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Last Post: SpiKe
Question [NEED HELP] can't build netradiant (SOLVED) bananovenc 7 4,418 12-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: illwieckz
  [SOLVED] Can't click on my name in XonStats TheChrississin 4 2,599 03-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Last Post: falco