Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do I need to know about getting a server up and running?

This isn't something that is going to happen overnight, but it is something I've been thinking about doing. Anyway, I'd like to know what goes into setting up and running a Xonotic server. Like where I can I rent a server to host the game on, how I would go about setting it up, and how I'd go about adding maps to it. My experience with this sort of thing is pretty limited as the only servers I ever ran was an Urban Terror one a few years back.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Read server/readme.txt and come back if you have questions.

The question about renting servers isn't answered there, but I don't have anything to say about that personally. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will answer this thread.

(06-19-2013, 01:58 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Read server/readme.txt and come back if you have questions.

The question about renting servers isn't answered there, but I don't have anything to say about that personally. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will answer this thread.

Ill do a write up shortly. Its actually not every hard.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

You may want to check on roxservers
We are now offering xonotic servers for 0.75/ slot

Since you have disabled private messaging and I don't want to go through the admin CP to get your email... I'll contact you here.

Here's why I rot13'd your messages:
  1. You registered this account today, with your service as username. Right away, you started advertising.
  2. The two messages you posted are the exact same message. That's not too wrong in itself, but your message does not address the threads (see for example the other thread, where tbutlerPBL asks for a server in the Seattle area, which you don't provide). This makes me think you are going to spam the same message aimlessly.

Please make your own thread for discussion of your service. We're not a drive-by advertising platform, so I expect you to be present to answer questions if you want to make a thread here.

My intention was not to spam, I was contacted by one of your members who asked me if I could support the game and I did. As he mentionned your forums I just replied to 2 topics about hosting.
I did read the Seattle mention thus why I pointed the fact that he should test the server and see if the ping was good enough between Seattle and Europe (it may be high but still fairly playable).
Then I saw a second post about hosting and I just copied my message as there was no point writing it again IMO.

Thanks for the quick reply. We have occasional similar encounters with spammers here so I treated this as one of those. Sorry about that.

As far as I'm concerned, you are welcome to create a thread in this section for your service Smile

I apologize for misinterpreting your intentions.

No problem I can understand your reaction and I can be blamed for my copy paste as I should have assumed this could be taken as spam by moderators. I will create a topic so I can reply to people there if they got any question, thank you for the suggestion.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I can't see my listen server on server list fnmain 1 673 10-07-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Grimnack
  Server not visible on the server browser for others or me DankoLord 1 1,819 02-21-2023, 08:02 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  Xonotic server running behind UDP proxy not working doombringeroperator 3 4,058 11-21-2022, 11:00 AM
Last Post: Zaphod
  [NEED HELP] Getting rid of Auto Balancing Teams DoomTheEpic 1 1,681 04-18-2022, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Mario
  BaI server | South American Xonotic server (located in Chile) z411 0 2,754 01-02-2022, 11:36 PM
Last Post: z411
  how to have blue team only with bots and red team 1 human player and 2 bots billyjoe 7 7,392 09-04-2021, 11:53 AM
Last Post: AndK
  Full server tutorial start-2-finish with maps & config from live server xonotic.us.to ballerburg9005 0 8,046 09-03-2021, 10:21 AM
  Noob needs help running server. CORDUROY 3 6,837 07-01-2021, 02:31 PM
Last Post: CORDUROY
Question [NEED HELP] Server uses 40% CPU whereas Nexuiz server runs with max 10% e-pig 6 4,965 08-19-2020, 10:17 PM
  [NEED HELP] Server dont appear in server browser abslimit 0 2,578 03-15-2020, 04:13 AM
Last Post: abslimit